“Wonderful patio, so-so food.”
Review of Starboard Grill

Starboard Grill
Ranked #7 of 98 Restaurants in Port Alberni
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I hate giving mediocre reviews.

I would rather hate a place or love it. However the Starboard Grill experience I had was neither of those.

I'll start with the good: We had great service - the staff was nice and helpful. The view was great - it's right down at the water. My husband's fish "taco" was good (though more of a wrap than a taco - but I'll chalk that up to Canada's lack of Mexican food).

Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm horrible at complaining at restaurants; I feel like I'm insulting them by saying the food is bad. Don't ask, it's ridiculous. Instead, I go to the internet for my snarky outlet.

Now for the bad: I ordered a portobello mushroom burger (description "roasted red pepper/garlic stuffed portabella mushroom with Dijon aioli") and yam fries. Out came my order, open-faced, displaying all it deficiencies! Not hiding the one TINY and DEFLATED "stuffed" mushroom about 1/2 the total diameter of the bun. I stared at it in disbief. I would hope that the kitchen staff or the wait staff wouldn't send out something that looked so visibly sad. I mean, if you have a sad shriveled up mushroom 1/2 the size of the bun - throw on a second one! It can't be that expensive. So I tried to eat my lettuce, tomato and red onion sandwich but gave up two bites in - without reaching any mushroom. My husband ate it instead (he eats anything) and I had half his fish "taco". My yam fries weren't very good either. I've been spoiled with good yam fries.

I'm sure the place would have taken it back if I complained. Too bad for them that I'm just an internet troll.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is great. Best location in Port Alberni with the only waterfront patio in town.

I was also really impressed with food and service. Highly recommended!

1  Thank haddon b
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I dont get excited much but the salmon was perfect . Not the dried out stuff . I wanted to complement the cook cuz as a fisherman Ive partaken in a lot of fish. The chef worked in a fishing lodge , no wonder !!! AND they can cook your catch for you right there. Your fish just has to be cleaned. Havent done it yet. There are some rules about how you bring it. All Im saying is that you can trust these people to do your fish up right. What a treat.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I took my sister here during her recent visit to Port Alberni. We were very pleased with this new restaurant which truly has the BEST location in PA. Right on the ocean front on Harbour Quay, one can sit outside on the protected patio or inside with a great view. We all had the spring lamb, one of the biweekly special menu choices available here. It was superb! Our table (inside by choice) was shaded by see thru blinds until the sun set, so we had a truly remarkable view of the water. We all felt that the cuisine was as good as many fine restaurants in large cities - and more affordable. This is our new "go to" location for celebrations and when entertaining out of town visitors!

1  Thank cmnarles
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went to Port Alberni for Mother's Day & joined my sister, her friend as we took our Mom for brunch. I'd heard this restaurant had changed hands and that the food and service were good & much improved. We love the setting down at Harbour Quay and we were able to check out the new dock for the cruise ships. After checking out the menu and the buffet, we all opted for the buffet as it looked great. Unfortunately, none of the food was hot (the eggs benedict weren't bad & would have been great if they were hot). The salmon was overcooked, After taking some of the shrimp, we were a little concerned as it was not sitting on ice and had started to warm up...yikes! Everyone's favourite was definitely the fresh fruit - strawberries, canteloupe and melon. After finishing the main course, we had to check out the desserts, small assorted squares. They were not fresh made and we were not impressed with any of the desserts. Trying to get tea & coffee took forever as the staff seemed to be running around & were NOT organized. Someone at our table finally went by the kitchen area & asked if we could get coffee & tea. As most of the tables had the buffet, it should not be difficult to get some beverages. Some training would go a long way. Some baffles in the rooms would help with the noise level as nothing to absorb the sounds. Great setting so really hope they improve the food & service.

1  Thank Cathytet