“An incredible experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Type: Other
Tofino, Canada
“An incredible experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This flight was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that I will not soon forget! Whether you want a smooth, easy ride or one filled with death-defying aerobatics (or seemingly to the uninitiated), this has to be the best way to experience the beautiful Alberni Valley. You really get a great appreciation for the area from 4,000 feet up. Andrej is a highly experienced pilot and I felt very safe for the entire flight. Definitely make this flight a must-do for Port Alberni!

Visited May 2014

Bc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This was amazing! It must be on your TO DO list for Port Alberni.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This flight was worth every penny. This is the only way to see beautiful Alberni Valley. The company is very well run. Super safety conscious and all the pilots are very experienced. I hope to do another flight very soon. Next time I would go on the hour flight, since a half hour went by too quick.

Visited September 2013
Portland, Oregon
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A great flight over a stunning landscape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I took a great glider flight over a beautiful valley at Port Alberni, on Vancouver Island. The Vancouver Island Soaring Centre is a small, well run operation at the airport outside Port Alberni. They offer several lengths of flights, based on the altitude achieved before disconnecting from the tow plane. I chose the 30 minute 4,000 feet elevation and felt it offered a good sense of what a glider can do. We flew over the Port Alberni downtown and harbor, but you can also fly over the ridge nearby for a more pure gliding experience (more updrafts.) The pilot pointed out many local landmarks, and when I asked him for tight turns, he did all that, plus "roller coaster" and other maneuvers. It was just plain a lot of fun! You can also take a gentle ride, if your stomach requires that. It's probably best to call before the day of the flight, but I didn't and they were very accommodating. This is a great experience --- how often do you fly for an hour with no motor, and see beautiful scenery too!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank DaveWells
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very cool experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife bought me a glider flight for my birthday and I loved it. The Alberni Valley looks very different from above! The pilot I had flying with me (I was seated at the front of the glider) was excellent, he even threw in some aerobatic tricks for fun!
At some of the higher altitudes I could see across the strait to the mainland and looking the other direction I could see the west coast of the island.
This was definitely worth trying out!

Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Magical sailplane rides!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We visited the Vancouver island Soaring Centre for two weekends in August. Andrej, the owner and instructor is very knowledgeable, Transport Canada Certified and his love of sailplanes is very evident. This professionally operated sailplane business is located at the Port Alberni airport. I went for 4 rides and want to return again and again. There were many happy people experiencing sailplane flight for the first time during our stay there. I very highly recommend this experience to everyone who enjoys the magic of flight.

Visited August 2011