“Delicious fish and chips!”

Bare Bones Fish and Chips
Ranked #2 of 91 Restaurants in Port Alberni
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bare Bones: an upscale fish and chip restaurant featuring west coast halibut, salmon, cod and prawns. Sides include hand-cut fries, caesar salad and coleslaw. Try your fish grilled or choose our famous beer batter or panco bread crumb coating. Always fresh and delicious! Look for our patio on Johnston.
Burnaby, Canada
“Delicious fish and chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stopped here on the way to Tofino for a quick bite... and boy am I happy we did!

The food was absolutely delicious--I had the panko crusted halibut with homemade fries, fresh coleslaw and tartar + wasabi aioli dips! And at $25 for lunch for two, was a great value and left us full... in fact, I couldn't finish all my fries!

Honestly this was some of the best fish + chips I have ever had!

The service was fast and friendly. I also really enjoyed the decor and atmosphere of this renovated church. I will definitely be stopping here again the next time we're passing through... and recommending it!

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Lieblingx

Vancouver Island, BC
“Everything Fried”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

If you like fried food, this is the place. Good value for your money. Don't expect to find anything healthy.

• Visited November 2010
jinox
“Really remarkably good food, and charming with it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We enjoyed a delightful alfresco lunch here, on a windy but pleasant autumn day, and were very impressed on just about every level. Having sampled English fish and chips, from the south-west coast to the north-east and many a place in between, I can't think of many places that do the job as well as this.

We'd planned to stop in Port Alberni on the way out west, but hadn't gone as far as researching, so when a local shop assistant pointed us towards Bare Bones as the best place in town for fish and chips, we took her advice and looked it up. Arriving after a couple of wrong turns (only possible criticism of the place - sign a little hidden by foliage), we were greeted like old friends and given a quick look around the very cosy, atmospheric converted-church interior, before opting for a terrace table sheltered from the main road by some stubby trees; friendliness was maintained throughout without compromising efficiency. In between tales of the town and the restaurant's history we were guided through a simple but appealing menu, with options of fish, batter, side and dip types to mix and match. The fish was fresh and lovely, the fries and the various batters all perfectly crispy and delicious, and the wasabi aioli dip fantastic.

After enjoying an extra drink to help digest the good-size portions, and to marvel at the very reasonable prices, we hit the road, disappointed that we had no time on the trip back for another visit. Will certainly make the effort to eat here again if I'm ever within a few hundred miles of Port Alberni.

• Visited October 2010
Tofino, Canada
“Best we've had in Port Alberni”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

We go through this town regularly on our way in and out of Tofino and are always looking for a good lunch - which hasn't been easy to find until now!

Bare bones is lovely, the fish is fresh, the choice of batter is nice (both are good) and I am amazed at the cole slaw - I usually skip it - but theirs is crunchy and tart - not dripping in mayonnaise. I haven't tried the Caesar salad - but based on how good the cole slaw is, I'll be trying it next. Really, the cole slaw is good enough to skip the fries altogether!

Portions are very generous, the two of us share a two-piece halibut. The decor is lovely and the staff are friendly and efficient. A real find!

Tofino
“Best place for Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

If you're craving fish & chips in Port Alberni you might as well go to the place the specializes in them! Good variety of fish-You can have them battered 2 different ways with chips or salad or even 1/2 chips and 1/2 salad, which is a nice option. The atmosphere is great and the staff is very friendly. The last time I was in there (Sept.) they were testing out deep-fried Mars bars on us patrons for our opinions on whether or not to add them to the menu! I hope the next time I go in there I'll see them in the dessert section. After leaving Bare Bones with a full stomach, you know you'll have had the best fish & chips in town!