“One night stay on the way to Tofino”

The Hospitality Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Port Alberni
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here one night on the way to Tofino. This was our first stay at this Inn.
Our room was on the 2nd floor and we were able to see our vehicle parked just below.
Check-in was easy, quick and friendly.
The room was clean and spacious.
When we requested towels for the pool from the front desk, we were told to use our room towels....I deferred as we would need those for showering the next day, so the clerk did leave the front desk to go get some.
The pool, which is something we always look for when booking a hotel/motel, was fantastic. Being covered, yet open air was a nice experience. The salt water was a nice change and the temperature was just right for adults and kids.
Unfortunately there was a party going on in the parking lot from about midnight until 4am. Our kids thankfully slept through it, however my husband and I did not. In retrospect, I should have called down to the front desk. When I mentioned it to the clerk in the morning, she was very apologetic and said that I definitely should have called as they do have security. She nicely offered a discount on the room as either breakfast vouchers or $40. off the room rate (I accepted the latter).
We would return to The Hospitality Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
pahosp, Owner at The Hospitality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

We are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the pool facilities and your accommodation. Our apologies for the disruptive night; this certainly is not a reflection of the quiet relaxing stay we wish for all our guests. As mentioned, we always welcome guests to advise us of such circumstances so that we can take immediate action. I am pleased to hear that the agent in the morning was able to offer compensation and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome your family back.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We transited to here from LA by plane to Seattle then by car/ferry to Port Alberni. We needed to stage overnight here prior to heading to a remote beach to launch our sea kayaks and head out to the Broken Islands. We arrived in the early evening and left early the next day. The large parking lot was perfect for staging. Our stuff was safe overnight. The room was basic no frills. We were the first ones in the restaurant at 6:30 am and were gone by 6:45. Check in and check out were both quick and efficient. This isn't a vacation hotel nor for that matter is Port Alberni a vacation destination. I would imagine most vacationers that stop here are headed into the forest or the ocean to do camping. The staff was helpful and very friendly. This was perfect for our needs.
Did I mention that the Broken Islands are amazing. We kayaked 7 milers the first day around many beautiful islands most of which are no larger than a NYC city block but having virgin forests with trees 150 ft tall. The marine life is breathtaking. The morning seas are glass calm but the wind and sea state pick up considerably after 1 pm so plan to minimize kayaking in the afternoon. Whales, sea lions, otters. Gorgeous views of the over 100 islands in the Broken Islands, of the cascades, and oh my god the sunsets. We had a family of deer walk thru our camp site. I had a buck ... no kidding 10 ft away. We looked at each other and he just keep on walking. Anyway I would recommend this hotel for people who are interested in a hotel for purposes similar to ours.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet. Basic, reasonably clean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Wow, it sounds like you had a very exciting trip to the coast! We are pleased to hear that you found the check in and check out to be quick and efficient and that the accommodation and amenities were sufficient. We appreciate your comments and for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Chaotic at front desk only one on staff large group checking in just ahead of me. Rooms are very dated and badly need an upgrade. Room had a smell like stale smoke, needs good cleaning and painting, looks like whole hotel is dated and needs updating, still using keys, mine was ready to break. Lots of parking for oversize vehicles

Room Tip: Rooms away from parking lot side are quiet
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. We are pleased to announce that we have moved forward with replacing our keys with key cards and that we are committed to continue with renovation of our rooms and property. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

reception was quite chaotic when I arrived - only one person to deal with multiple people checking in, guests that had just checked in that already had issues (key broke in door, reserved and paid for a king size bed, but the room had two double beds), as well as answer the phone. one family that was checking in was surprised and not happy that there is no elevator or someone to assist with carrying their very large luggage (several pieces) to their room on the second floor.

the room was okay - average, older (outdated), the bed was very soft, too soft for my liking, so I didn't sleep well. unfortunately, the view from my room (I was on ground level) was the back alley and neighbouring fenced yards - another words, no view.

the location is fairly central, and although there was a big drag racing event in town when I stayed there, the room/hotel was quiet and restful. room was quite small (cramped for two people) but clean - although it smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke (it was a non smoking room) that I actually went to the front desk to make sure they knew of the strong smell and would not think I was smoking in the room (I am a non-smoker) - the front counter person did not seem at all surprised and explained that they have 2 smoking rooms on my floor, so the smell drifts (true). I was told they do state on their website that they have smoking rooms - I hadn't noticed when looking at their website prior to booking there.

The bathroom was adequate and clean, although I do wish there was a side bar to grab onto in the tub/shower for safety reasons (past experience on my part). the housekeeping staff were friendly and professional.

so, I have mixed feelings about whether I would stay there again. I will probably try another hotel next time and then I will have a comparison for Port Alberni (I have found in my travels that sometimes there are different accepted standards in different cities/towns).

Room Tip: make sure you say you don't want a view of the back alley! and if you don't want a smoke sm...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
pahosp, Owner at The Hospitality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2014

Thank you for staying with us at The Hospitality Inn and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us and we welcome the opportunity for improvement. We are committed to continue moving forward with our renovations and will take your comments into consideration. On behalf of our team, I apologize for the unwelcoming and "chaotic" reception on arrival and I assure you this is not reflective of the service standards we strive to achieve.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the inn as I am confident that we can provide you with the warm, friendly and comfortable experience we wish for all our guests.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Excellent quality, Service was very good, Restaurant served a verygood breakfast. Pub meal was not as good. Staff was very attentive and friendly and addressed all our queries, The room was clean and comfortable, bed was excellent, we had a very good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for staying with us at The Hospitality Inn and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us as we are dedicated to continually improving as we strive to exceed our guests expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night and were underwhelmed to say the least. Booked based on Tripadvisor standing as #2 in Port Alberni but will definitely try the Best Western next time we are in Port Alberni. The receptionist greeting us at the hotel was not welcoming and quite matter of fact. The room smelled faintly of very stale smoke - even tho it is a non- smoking hotel now and has probably been sanitized, the carpet still has a residual smoke smell. The decor throughout is dated and the hotel could use an update. Will give this hotel a miss in future.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us at The Hospitality Inn and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us and we welcome the opportunity for improvement. We are committed to continue moving forward with our renovations and will take your comments into consideration. On behalf of our team, I apologize for the unwelcoming receptionist and I assure you this is not reflective of the service standards we strive to achieve.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Inn was clean and neat and the staff most helpful. The rooms are getting a bit tired. Our air conditioner was loud and not working well. Port Alberni is very central to some great site seeing. The Inn, met our needs. It was easy to find and central within the community. We would probably not return to the Inn.

Room Tip: I would choose rooms at the front of the hotel (even though they overlook the parking lot). Rooms a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for staying with us at The Hospitality Inn and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us and we welcome the opportunity for improvement. As we continue to move forward with our renovations, we remain dedicated to exceeding our guests expectations with respects to our service standards.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.