“Never Again!”

The Giggle Dam Dinner Theatre
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Since 2001 ‘The DAM’ has been the best kept entertainment secret in the Lower Mainland. Think of Saturday Night Live ... with DINNER. Think of a rock concert ... with DINNER. Think of a mind-blowing, 4-hour blend of politically incorrect, interactive LIVE musical comedy, an eight-piece LIVE show band and LIVE Vegas-worthy celebrity impersonations...with DINNER. We’re different. We’re the only one. We have way too much fun. We are the best entertainment value in town. You should join us!
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Save your money! This place is terrible. I wish I had thought to come here and read the reviews before we went, but I got sucked into going along for a friend's birthday celebration.

I have been to dinner theater, cruise ship entertainment, broadway shows, tony and tina's wedding and everything in between. I can appreciate good talent and a good play whether at a local dinner theater, high school play or by an A list name talent on broadway.
I will say, the actors/singers here have talent. They sing extremely well and should be doing something other than Dinner theater at this place. But a job is a job I guess.

That being said, the show was TERRIBLE. Food was even worse.

We were seated and there was an antipasto plate before every one of us. I don't eat this. In fact I would say 70% of the room didn't touch it. Very odd choice to present for appetizer for a large group with many different tastes. I would have thought they were better to put out a cheese and crackers plate, nachos and salsa- but this antipasto plate was obviously a bad choice and a huge waste of food - dozens of plates just going back.
Next up was buns and butter (good) and beef soup, which was actually pretty good and filling.

We had a choice of chicken, beef (steak), salmon or pasta. I had the steak, but it was not a steak, was more of a thick slice of dense roast beef with gravy, and it was cold. There was a potato 'brick' and some steamed vegetables.

Later on we were brought custard with a half strawberry on top. The custard was gross and fridgey.

Spoilers below: (although trust me not much to spoil).
Now for the 'show' - still trying to figure out this show, as it made no sense at all.
Started with all the actors coming around to the tables to talk to you, feel out who will be the types to bring up on stage, etc...
This is when drinks were being pushed.
Then they start the show adn bring up 4 people from the audience on the stage dressed as a chicken, a box of pasta, a cow and a fish - to represent the food for the night. The only thing that struck me about this was how disgusting and dirty these costumes looked and how they all had wigs or hats, and how many people prior to this had worn these? Lice anyone? Sorry but that was my thought process.
Then we had dinner and the main guy came back on and started the show - basically from what I could gather (although the sound system is so loud it slurs the words of the actors) was some dude had a record store and now CD's were the next big thing and he wanted to preserve the vinyl. The actors did some very disjointed acting about this and I sat and yawned. I would look around and a few people did a token smile or laugh, but not many. Then they would do stupid little skits like a workout routine (where they brought the drunkest guy in the room up on stage to do it with them), a pretend makeout scene, etc.... There was also one where the female actors would rub their breasts in unsuspecting mens faces. Hmmmmm....

I appreciate good comedy and a good laugh - but none of this was funny - it was just stupid. I wanted to leave.

Then a break (and they brought the lovely custard out) and then all the actors came out as themselves (nice to see because the hideous 80s costumes were just bad) and sang 80s songs. They were very talented and very good - I enjoyed this part of the show.

The main guy then pretended to be neil diamond and then had a lady come up and dance with him, then he faked an orgasm on stage. I can take some good sexual humor, but this seemed TOO off color for this show and was awkward to watch - and this poor woman (probably 60-65 yrs) had to have him grabbing her and pretending to orgasm all over her -she looked very uncomfortable and played along, but could tell she wanted nothing to do with it.

At the end of the show they bring you your bill. Now keep in mind you have already paid the $55 each to get in, but they put this back on your bill and then add an 18% gratuity on the 55 plus your drinks. Its highlighted in yellow for your ease of viewing it and paying it. I chose my own gratuity I felt appropriate (our server was good, but between 2 of us not worth a $45 tip) and left that. Also some of the skits in the show are not skits - they are selling tshirts and sing about it, selling overpriced drinks and sing about it - was a big sales show at some points.

Overall - save your money - I could have gone out for this birthday dinner somewhere a LOT better!!! Never again - expensive lesson learned! Hope this review helps some of you save your $$!

7  Thank liz413413
Sheila S, Owner at The Giggle Dam Dinner Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Wow. I must admit, I’ve been a little surprised by the last 3 reviews, as we are not used to having such negative feedback for our venue, however, yours is so detailed and scathing I felt compelled to respond. I am the co-owner of The Giggle Dam, along with “the main guy”, as you referred to him. I am also one of the performers (I made a cameo appearance that night in our tribute to Prince and performed Purple Rain). I am also the show’s writer and director. I am glad you, at least, felt that the show band section of our show was enjoyable – we, indeed, have some remarkable talent working with us!

We are aware that our brand of politically incorrect humour is not for everyone, but thankfully 95% of our patrons leave still laughing and proclaiming that they can’t wait to come back and bring new friends/family to see it for themselves. I can appreciate that it was clearly not your kind of show, as it simply can’t appeal to everyone. I am curious to know if everyone in your group had such a horrible experience. Did we use your birthday person in any of our skits/sketches? We always try to make sure that the guests of honour who are celebrating something, whether it be a birthday, an anniversary, out-of-town guest, a staff function etc, are included in the night’s entertainment if they so wish. We proudly describe ourselves as Celebration Central. That is why we dress customers in costumes (which are laundered constantly, so your concern that they are swimming with lice can be put to rest), bring them up on stage to perform skits with us, or come down into the audience to “rub our breasts in unsuspecting men’s faces”, which by the way is ALWAYS done in a comedic fashion and never an alluring one – that wouldn’t be funny (ie: our “breasts” are often balloons and we are rarely portraying an “attractive” character). I’m dumbfounded that you referred to our patrons as offering a “token smile or laugh, but not many”. If we did not continue to receive the roaring laughter that we do, I would definitely re-consider the nature of our show, because as a business concept, we would not be able to survive without our repeat customers. We are not in downtown Vancouver where we can rely on one-time tourists to fill our venue without a care as to whether or not they return. We truly value our patrons and make sure we create relationships with them that we are so grateful to mutually maintain.

Just as a side note, it was Tom Jones that danced with the birthday lady on stage - Neil Diamond is not in our show. This is a “bit” that we’ve been doing for 11 years (mostly with Elvis Presley) and is one of the most anticipated and well-received side-splitting sketches of the night. Your description of it sounds so disgusting that we would never have been able to remain open if we sexually assaulted elderly women in such a manner. We have had hundreds of wonderful ladies up for this bit, all the way up 90+ years of age, and they are hilarious and feisty ladies who tell us it has been a highlight of their lives. Often times they are the ones who completely upstage us, and they end up having the audience in tears with laughter. We have also become very good at finding out who will be just the right person for each one of our on-stage numbers and would never do this bit with someone who was “very uncomfortable and wanted nothing to do with it”. Could it be that you would have wanted nothing to do with it, and therefore had a biased idea as to whether or not she did?

You also might find it interesting that we recently switched from “taco chips & salsa” as our first appetizer to what we feel is a much nicer antipasto plate with tomato, bocconcini, prosciutto, etc. It’s a shame you “don’t eat this” as it’s delicious! And you can rest assured that if 70% of the patrons were sending this back, we would undoubtedly change it to something else. I am curious to know where you got this 70% from, as we seat 200 patrons, and I find it interesting you were keeping such a watchful eye on the 9000 sq ft of space that they are all seated. Also, our great chef makes all of our food fresh daily, and takes pride and care in the plates he lets leave his kitchen.

I won’t subject you to an exact point-by-point rebuttal of your review, but I will say that I am glad that you at least gave us a shot. I am proud of our venue, our remarkable staff, our mind-blowing talent, our skilled chef and most of all, our amazing customers, as they are the reason we continue to put on what we hope will always be received as hilarious and entertaining adventures. We are ALWAYS grateful for first-time folks like you who give us a try, because in our experience, we are sure to see them back. I am sorry you won’t be one of those people, but I do hope that others who read your review will come and give us a chance and form their own opinion!

Sheila Sharma
Owner, Artistic Director

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have lived near the Giggle dam for a few years and always hear their adds on the radio, so I bought some tickets and my husband & I went. We were served dinner which was pretty good, I had salmon he had chicken, the potatoes where a bit hardened on top (duchess style mashed). 45 minutes after we finished eating the servers were still bring plates to people who had not eaten. At that point the show had still not started. The show itself was terrible, there was the odd humorous outfit or comment but no funny jokes, we were quite bored. needless to say I will not be going back and would not recommended this place to friends, for $20 you can go to Laff Lines in new West and nearly pee your pants laughing :P, plus there are lots of dinner options in various price ranges within walking distance. Gilgge Dam charges 55+HST. per person.

2  Thank CandysVacations
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love comedy shows and a night at a dinner theatre seemed like a great idea. I purchased a Groupon for dinner for 4 for a little less than the price of 2 tickets but was shocked to get the bill at the end of the night (the bill was the equivalent of a 2 night stay in Whistler Village). Their drinks are incredibly over priced (double the price of normal downtown bars), the food was better than I expected but still not that good and cold and the show was terrible and far from funny. The only people laughing are the people telling the jokes. The staff looked disorganized and overwhelmed and struggled to serve their tables. I work hard for my money and don't spend it freely....I totally regret spending it on this place. The only positive was the people I was with which has nothing to do with the Giggle Dam's 80's night show.

3  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had a 2 for 1 coupon and used it to see the 80's dinner show. I didn't have high expectations for the food to begin with, and was actually slightly impressed, although they did call the roast beef "steak".

The show's pacing was VERY slow. We ate, and then waited for 45 minutes for the show to start. Finally it starts, and well, I really didn't find it funny at all. It felt like the only people laughing were those who had friends on stage...and even then it felt like forced polite laughter.

Glad I didn't spend full price as it's not cheap. It's possible this particular show wasn't a great one to see, but overall I actually left pissed it was so bad.

3  Thank melanie l
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife, two friends and I attended the Giigle Dam for the "Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver" show in October 06, 2012.

The show was excellent! I really enjoyed the intermittent humour and short shows mixed into your "wait for the show to begin" and the same during the appetizer salad. Although the cast were throwing in regular short skits during the beginning, it gave you enough time to eat and briefly catch up with friends.

After the dinner, which is pretty good, the show is a riot. There is song and dance mixed with short stand-ups that all mix in with the theme (camping). The crowd is always engaged and some fortunate / unfortunate guests are dragged on stage. The show ends with live singing by the cast which was surprisingly great. I have never heard a sould version of LMFAO's "I'm Sexe and I know it". Just great!

WARNINGS:
-review the website before you go
-look at the title of the show "Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver"..... you know its going to be sex laced
-if you are uncomfortable with sexual inniendo that crosses the line, then you might want to all and get the details on what to expect

Is it a little pricey? A little however, you are getting a decent dinner with hours on show.

Is it a tight venue? A little. Ask to sit on the mezanine for a bar row type seating.

I loved it.