“Not your place if you want rest”
Review of Revelstoke Hostel

Revelstoke Hostel
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Pros
- good location downtown Revelstoke
- good spot to meet people riding Revelstoke

Cons
- very loud, especially basement rooms
- not very clean
- poor quality/quantityof kitchen equipment
- guest courtesy lower than average when it comes to use common area

I stayed there 3 times until i realize there were other affordable accomodations in Revelstoke.
The crowd is mainly very young and like to stay up late which is all right unless you want to get some sleep. Rooms at the lower level are right next to the kitchen and tv which is always on.
Only upside is that you can meet people for advice on the mountain or for sharing a car.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed October 30, 2011

The shabbily appointed rooms have paper thin walls...we were forced to listen to one of the staff complain bitterly about her co-workers and then subjected to the noise of her copulation. To make it all worse, a pool table on the second floor was directly above our bed and the sounds of crashing balls did little to ease our weary nerves. The only bonus was the very attractive blond bearded boy on the front desk. Overall, the worst hostel I've stayed at in the world.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We spent two nights here in a private room and one night would have been enough frankly.

The first thing that hits you with this place is the smell. It reminds you of stepping into a retirement home that hasn't been cleaned.

Our room was tiny, the bed old and small and there is hardly any ventilation. We stayed in September and our room was so hot and stuffy we had the fan on fully to keep cool. And this was in September!

The kitchen needs upgrading. There was hardly any room or utensils to cook with. And people left dishes out and staff did nothing about it.

I saw one previous review pointing out this place was the only one of it's kind town. It shows by their standard they know it and they don't care. Perhaps someone else could go start another lodge in town to make these guys lift their game and give them competition.

Finally don't be fooled by the great Internet website photos of this place. They are a far cry from the real thing. The lodge is obviously too scared to put the real ones on there.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed January 2, 2011

If you like couches, pool table, music, TV this is right up your alley. Lots of friendly common areas in this hostel, and pretty convenient for getting around Revelstoke. Kitchen worked fine. My only gripe was the supertiny dorm rooms, and pretty small bunks. But hey, if you're just in town for a ski visit I think this is a good bet.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The SameSun is the only hostel in Revelstoke and it shows. There are way too many people in there for the size of rooms, kitchens and building itself. What's up with only 3-4 plates and bowls per kitchen (as well as one small fridge, no real cupboard space) when it it supposed to serve at least 20 people? The beds are also some of the worst I have seen lately. Metal bunkbeds that creak and move every time the person on top or bottom slightly moves. Not very good mattresses either...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank AlbertaCat
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My friend and I stay at the hostel a week in February from Monday to Friday. For the first 4 nights we stayed at a private room and the last night I ended up sleeping on the couch after a overbooking of the hostel. Or what the hostel staff called it an 'accident'.

The private rooms at the hostel is overfilled with beds, only beds. There was no lockers to store valuables and no other place to store your baggage than in a bed. For storing our skis we had to use a outdoor ski-locker-room, which was a room overfilled with skis, boards and clothes. The locker was for everyone staying at the hostel and all you had to do to get in was signing out a key. Even though it was a new staff member at the desk every time I was there, they didn't ask me for my room number or if I was staying at the hostel. It would therefore be an excellent way of getting some pair of new skis, and I must say there was a lot of nice skis there!
For the last night we had to stay at a dorm, which was pretty much like the private rooms the only difference was that they got 4 lockers for 6 people. After making my bed for the night that day we went out for a couple of drinks before finding the bed occupied when I returned. I went to the night staff to explain my situation and we agreed that I would stay on the couch and get my night refunded. When I got my night refunded I received $30 even though the night was $34. And now I have to provide a receipt of getting the refund to receive the extra $4 I was promised.
When I talked to the daily-manager the day after she told me that this person was not supposed to be in that bed and was actually checked out the day before. And therefore this wasn't a overbooking. When I told her that they should have control over their guests she actually said that they couldn't keep a 24 hour control over the hostel.

The hostel has a fine for guest waking up other people after 11 pm at $250, my question is, who gets that money? And what did the person staying in the bed I booked pay? Does this company actually earn money on these 'accidents'?

My recommendation is obviously: DON'T STAY HERE!!!
But there is another view as well. If you have very little money you could easily get 2-3 extra nights on this hostel whit out paying for it or if you are lucky the whole stay. And if you are looking for some new skis for the season they really got some very nice powder skis. But remember, you don't have to book!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank gugge99
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I arrived here on thanksgiving and was given a great welcome by the staff and checked into one of the private rooms here,, The people staying there was varied and welcoming and the rooms are very clean and central to downtown,
The only gripe was that the front desk closes at 10.00pm, not giving me much time to check in,,

Great building and great thanksgiving meal eh?

Unique Qualities: The quiet and charming town of Revelstoke is located midway between Vancouver and Calgary at the western gateway to Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mt. Revelstoke National Parks. Just minutes from the world’s finest mountain adventure, natural hot springs, glacial hikes, alpine meadows of wildflowers, world-class mountain biking, powder skiing and natural pristine wilderness beauty.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo