“Understaffed, very long wait for an overcooked burger”
Review of The Ol' Frontier

The Ol' Frontier
Ranked #34 of 65 Restaurants in Revelstoke
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have eaten here many times in my travels through Revelstoke but this time may be my last stop in this restaurant. The food used to be very good with fast service and the last two visits have been less than desired.
This time there were two servers and we waited over an hour for our food. My chicken burger was way over cooked and had a slab of mayo and some shredded lettuce on the bun, that's it. McDonalds puts out a better chicken burger than this place. Most of the patrons in the restaurant were disgusted with the service and the four of us left very disgruntled. My advice to management, hire some decent staff and a good cook!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I used to visit this restaurant every time we travelled through Revelstoke, so tonight I thought it would be nice to extend the tradition to my partner and our newborn son. My partner went in first to grab a table while I fed the baby (so that he didn't cry so as not to disturb the experience of other diners!)
When I walked in, I saw that there was one waitress near the front, I attempted to make eye contact but was not addressed. I wandered around the restaurant until I found my partner and joined him. We quickly decided on our meal choices, and sat there with our menus closed for about ten minutes. Our waitress finally came to take our order, my partner ordered the beef stew $17 and I the ribs $21. Both came with starter soup or salads, I asked what the house dressing was and got the reply "I'm not really sure but it's like a thicker vingarette, but I don't know what's in it" so I opted for Italian. A few minutes later she came back to tell us that they were out of beef stew so my partner had to change to meatloaf.
At this point I went to go to the washroom and saw that they had a buffet going on which was not mentioned to either of us. The bathroom was filthy with hairs in the sink, toilets unflushed, and my stall door would not lock as it was broken.
On my way out, I scanned the restaurant and noted only a small handful of occupied tables and a second waitress so I knew that they were not too busy to tidy the bathrooms or take ten minutes to take an order, I also saw a few uncleared tables.
I went back to our table and waited another twenty minutes with our empty drinks waiting on the edge of the table to be refilled. The second waitress then stopped by to ask if we needed menus to which I said "nope, we've actually already been here thirty minutes" (umm hey thanks for noticing us since you've walked by us like five times but in her defense, we were not her table and she was just trying to make sure we had been served).
Another ten minutes later, our food finally shows up delivered by the second waitress ..without cutlery or our starter salads of course! I asked for forks and to have our drinks refilled. I did say at this point that our service has not yet been great and that we had waited over 40 minutes for our meal. She apologized for the first waitress and walked away. Two more times our original waitress walked past us without acknowledgement as we sat, eating our mashed potatoes with steak knives. Another ten minutes passed without refills or cutlery, all while our baby is getting fussier and fussier (50 minutes is a long time in a restaurant with a baby as all you parents know!!) when finally I walked to the server station where the original server was standing, looking at her phone! I asked for the manager on duty and told him that we would be leaving without paying or eating our meals as I was truly disappointed with the service. He obviously asked why and so I proceeded to tell him to which he responded "oh well, sorry" and an eye roll from our waitress.
We eat out often and have never received such poor service that we felt we should walk out without paying and I downloaded this app just to write this review! What a way to tarnish a childhood memory!!

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Well worth a stop when traveling Highway #1 West near Revelstoke. All the family and kid oriented foods you would expect, in generous quantities. Hot and tasty. A little trouble with a backed-up kitchen when we were there, but the waitress was very attentive.

I had the Mexican breakfast special. Very satisfying and affordable.

Remember, vehicle traffic around here can get extremely heavy after 9 AM. You might want to time your breakfast accordingly. And if you are in the area on a Saturday, the Revelstoke farmers market is just up the street in the town Center.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Terribly long wait for average food, the kitchen was incompetent with a slightly below average waitress. It was a real neat looking place that actually had us excited until we had to wait an hour for our food. They finally did the smart thing and closed the restaurant because the cooks couldn't handle very simple orders.

1  Thank oilace1
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We live in town and don't eat out too much. We headed up to the Frontier because we have heard everyone rave about the Indian buffet. Well, we were not to be disappointed. It was excellent! For an all you can eat buffet it was even a bit dangerous. So much good food, so little stomach space to fit it all in. Our server was attentive and polite, the owner, Matt, came out to personally check on the meal, and we finished it off with homemade orange ice cream topped with mini mandarine slices and cream. I'm heading back up there tonight, and I'm not even kidding!