“A Remarkable Collection”
Review of Revelstoke Nickelodeon Museum - CLOSED

Revelstoke Nickelodeon Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada's only mechanical music museum. The collection illustrates and demonstrates the development of automatic music machines from 18th century barrel organs to 1950s juke boxes via musical boxes, street and barrel pianos, residence and dance hall organs, player pianos, phonographs, gramophones and vintage radios. The museum offers tours taking approximately 1 hour and demonstrations of the genuine antique instruments include about 20 examples.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have to say I was genuinely surprised by this collection of musical instruments that dates back over 500 years. This collection, no matter where you were to find it, would still have to be considered unique. And, this is not the usual collection of instruments, but devices that created music without the operator actually having to play the music. Old organs, side show pieces, cafe players, juke boxes - the list just goes on. One of our present day failings is that we fail to recognize the technical mastery of craftsmen in previous centuries. The sophistication of some of these designs will surprise you. The restoration that ensures that all of these instruments are fully operational and the expert information provided by the charming hostess do guarantee to be an amazing experience.

1  Thank Dennis H

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The family all agreed that this is the best museum they have ever been to.... and we've been to a lot. Maybe it's because we are all musical nerds.

The owner took us on the tour which was supposed to be 1 hour, but ended up being almost 2 hours because we were having so much fun and asking so many questions.

3  Thank Jayaruu
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have been living in Revelstoke for 3 years and only recently walked into the museum. When I walked in I told how I have never been inside and Mrs Evans the collection owner insisted that I go and see some of it. Out of her own time she started taking me round showing me some of the different pieces and telling me in such great detail the history of each piece. I found the pieces and the stories very charming and nostalgic and insisted on taking a full tour. It was just the two of us but she walked me through and showed me almost every single piano, pipe organ and music box. Mrs Evans knew the history of the individual pieces in such great detail and told the story of how they made and might have been used. She even allowed me to play some of them, it was very informative and charming. Being at the museum I felt transported back in time through the mid 1800's to the 1940's. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the museum and couldn't highly recommend it enough. A definite must see for any lover of music!

1  Thank Mountainlover250
Reviewed September 3, 2013

we were in revelstoke in july 2009 and had gone on a tour of the museum so when we returned this july 2012 my son who is turning 13 and my niece who just turned 14 wanted to go through the museum.since we had previously gone through ourselves and it certainly isn't a cheap entry fee we thought that the kids could go through without us,as they are only guided tours with a adult.we were very rudely told that this museum does not under any circumstances allow children to enter unattended regardless of age.the woman hostess is very nasty in her demeanor and as a result of her attitude she lost our business as well as other people who were in the lobby when she became rude.regardless if she is a owner or just a worker her customer service skills are very in poor and she hurts the museums business by being so rude.

1  Thank Brenda D
Condenser, Owner at Revelstoke Nickelodeon Museum, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding the entry of unaccompanied children to the museum. The main reason for the rule is that we do not have the authority nor the facilities to act in loco parentis in the case of those under the age of majority. In order to so act we should have to obtain a signed letter of authority from the parents permitting us to look after their children if left in our care. Otherwise where would we stand in the case of a child suffering a severe asthma attack or epileptic fit whilst its parents were absent? We should also require authority to discipline such children if needed, in the same way that schools do. As we are a private museum, not a government funded one, we have to make our own rules regarding entry conditions. We do clearly display a notice in the gift shop area stating that we cannot accept unaccompanied minors. See also the response to the previous comment.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were walking by and the window display looked interesting so we went inside. There was an item in the window that I was interested in purchasing. I had my children with me and we starting looking around. My kids were looking at something and the lady told them "that is broken so don't touch it" in a really nasty voice. My kids do not touch anyway because they have been taught not too! She was extremely rude and we will never go back. Needless to say, I did not make the purchase either. I hope her manager sees this posting and speaks to her regarding her lack of customer service skills!

1  Thank catherinebO7916PC

Thank you for your comments, which we note are directed at the gift shop, not the museum at all. Such occurrences happen so infrequently that we remember them in some detail. As you say, you were examining an item in the window area. Meanwhile, one of your children was determindly cranking the handle of our 1890 Mutoscope machine, in the wrong direction and without being invited to do so. My wife quite rightly requested her to stop so that further damage would not be done to the machine. If you feel that a child should be allowed to damage a 120 year old machine without reprimand, you made a wise decision to leave.

Our gift shop contains a number of valuable antique items and is not intended to be a playground for unsupervised children.