“Great Northern is a wonderfully exciting powder adventure!”

Great Northern Snowcat Skiing
Ranked #21 of 47 things to do in Revelstoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Have you ever dreamed of floating effortlessly over acres of virgin powder then dropping spectacularly into a treed bowl of equally untouched terrain? For 31 years Great Northern Snowcat Skiing has been bringing those dreams to life. Since 1979, GREAT NORTHERN has strived to provide a quality wilderness skiing experience for our valued guests.We are passionate and focused on maximizing the uniqueness of our operation with highly personalized service and a refreshing attitude towards the ski vacation experience. Distinguished by our individuality, Great Northern’s exclusive “boutiqueness” offers a smaller, more personalized backcountry skiing alternative. By choice, we operate only one state-of-the art passenger snowcat, with just one group of 16 skiers per week. Our signature service from friendly and professional reservation, mountain and lodge staff guarantees our guests' comforts and well-being are first and foremost. With 45 square miles of pristine terrain and over 600 inches of snow annually, Great Northern skiers experience a truly unique sense of intimacy and adventure in the heart of the majestic Selkirk Mountains of British Columbia.
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Twenty two years ago my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by booking a powder ski experience with Great Northern. We haven't missed a year since and each year has been better than the previous. The "digs" are very comfortable & the foods great. Guiding is done with an eye to safety first but always gives the skier a challenging deep powder experience. It's not an area for the faint of heart. My wife & I are avid skiers, both working at Lake Louise for more than 25 years and we know good skiing when we see it. Great Northern has it all!

2  Thank Richard G

Reviewed May 15, 2011

First time powder skiing. I took my 14 year old son with me. For the first day I was very grateful to have a tail-guide as well as the lead-guide: I needed assistance to get up from the deep powder. Also happy to have the benefits of her experience in terms of managing the deep powder. I also enjoyed the pace of the day: plenty of skiing with the relaxing trip back up in the cat. The experience was excellent in all aspects: the staff highly professional, the accommodations were fine, and the food of excellent quality.

2  Thank SRossNovicePowderDog
Reviewed May 3, 2011

For great powder skiing in a spectacular setting, Great Northern can't be beat. Personal care and attention is given to every detail in this small group setting, from comfortable facilities to five-star meals to a single snowcat group of skiers. This is skiing for purists, and it's pure heaven for snow and terrain quality. And unlike helicopters, there are no "down" days - we ski in all conditions and love it. Come ready to ski hard by day and just relax by night, and bring plenty of your own libations.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I have been skiing at Great Northern every year for close to 20 years. The experience has been consistently awesome with exceptional powder skiing and a great "people experience" including staff and other guests.

1  Thank km_flyingp
Reviewed April 28, 2011

From the moment I arrived until I left, one week later, I had a fabulous adventure skiing the Selkirk Wilderness. The staff welcomed us paying close attention to detail in the Lodge and providing great mountaineering skill in exploring the backcountry. I'm looking forward for my return visit again when the snow flies.

1  Thank anymore1953