“Stay in Revelstoke, Avoid this tourist trap...”

Three Valley Lake Chateau & Ghost Town
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Revelstoke
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This hotel / motel was probaby the biggest let down in accomodation we have ever had. For many years we have driven by this place and often thought someday we'd stop and have an overnight there.

The place was pricey, ~ $150 for one night. The restaurant was disgusting (see my review - My Liver Had a Tumour...). The pool water was brown and smelly. When I asked them about it at the front desk they said they were suprised as it had just been changed the month before. Our room had no air conditioning, as we were told at reservation time, however we were told that each room had adequate fans to 'beat the heat' that happens in the area during the summer. Well our room had an 8" fan. I gaurantee you that was not enough. The front desk had no more fans available. To make matters worse the HEAT came of in the middle of the night. RADIATING 40 degree temperatures into our room. It was so unbearable that we slept on the concrete balcony attached to our room. In the morning we desparately needed showers to revive after an awful night's sleep. And you guessed it - no hot water.

When we checked out I had a lengthy, and I mean lengthy chat with the girl at the front desk. Explained to her that everything that could go wrong with our stay did go wrong. When I asked for some type of compensation she told me that they didn't do that type of thing at there hotel. But if i was unhappy I should stay somewhere else next time.

Believe me I will.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soosie61

Reviewed September 19, 2009

On our way to the Okanagan we've driven by this hotel more times than I can count. This Sep we decide to stop and see what it was all about. I would say that it's an average hotel with basic food in the restaurant. However, the view and the heritage town are amazing and made it worth the stop. If you like trains you can't beat looking across the lake and seeing a train emerge from a tunnel in the mountain.

It's not air conditioned so the room was a little hot until the cool night air provided relief.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2009

My hubby and I just stayed at this place last night and LOVED it!!! It may not be the most upscale of hotels, however, the views are stunning!! My husband was there for business and we were given a tour of the historic Ghost town and the most AMAZING collection of trains and automobiles we had ever seen!!! The highlight of our tour was the unique and unbelievable roundhouse filled with old trains and railway cars. We loved the Governor General's car made famous by the late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau with his infamous salute to the citizens of Salmon Arm BC. I really wanted to look into the theme rooms, but ran out of time. The beds were a little uncomfortable, however they had great duvets and lots of pillows. The view from our balcony was of the stunning glacier mountain lake. I would totally stay here again and have been recommending it to all our friends and family!!! Sure, some parts of the hotel are a little dated, however, my husband and I found it quite clean. I only ate one meal here ( it was a catered bbq for my husbands group) and it was good!! Especially loved the baked beans. I didn't eat in the restaurants because I got to the hotel late and left before breakfast was served.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

No hot water in the morning - wife and daughters had to wait while they cleaned the room next door to shower. No offer to compensate, not even giving us a free (would have cost them $15) tour of the ghost town.
Food is cafeteria quality and the one lady got upset that I asked if we could get milk for our sons cereal. I suspect they are short staffed given the attitudes encountered there..
Location is nice but for the $200 we paid I will drive to Revelstoke next time (15 minute drive) and actually get value for my money.
Ghost town is well worth the visit though!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dmenu
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I was skeptical about staying here after reading some very negative and so so reviews of the 3 valley gap Inn and I am glad I was proven wrong. Like most I have passed this hotel many times but never stopped to take a look. We booked one night here after staying at Emerald Lake Lodge, so price wise we went from one extreme to another (high to lowish or reasonable). Upon arival I was greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk who offered me the key to our room in order to take a look before signing in. I have a son who is asthmatic so my concern was residual old smoke which I aired when making my reservation over the phone. I inspected the room which was a family suite, one room with two doubles and one with a queen on the ground floor opening up onto the gardens. The room was very clean, no smoke odors and had new carpet and paint and was to my satisfaction. I returned to the front desk and checked in and purchased a family ticket to the Ghost Town located right next door and was given a list of things we could do in the area.
Once we unloaded the lugguage just steps away from our room at the rear of the bullding, my son's inspected there room with excitement, were happy and we then had look at the beautiful garden courtyard and the tour helicopter around the corner. After that we proceede to the Ghost Town Museum at 7pm. Instead of the usual tickets you are given a token is used that you insert and that lets you in, the girl at the front desk said if we did not have time to see it all that evening she would give us another token in the morning so we could finish the tour, which I thought was very nice.
My family and I entered the Ghost Town and began exploring, the buildings and artifacts felt genuine, which they were and you could touch and play with some of the antiques, this is unusual in it's self as usually when you go to a musuem everything is behind ropes and glass. We visited the antique car area and the guy working in there was very helpful and knowledgeable and told us how to navigate around the museum to the round house where the train cars etc were. All very helpful and still amazed we could go into these old coach cars and open cubboards etc and really explore. The gift shop inside was open and we bought candy and the lady working there was very helpful too. Turns out she is the daughter of the original owner and we were talking to her brother in the car exhibit. She told us that they are privately owned and operated just like the hotel and it is a true family business run my brotheres, sisters, nieces and nephews.
Our room was very quiet even on the ground floor, we could not hear traffic noise, trains or neighbours above us or beside us. We all slept very well. In the morning we woke up and all laid on the bed looking out the patio doors into the gardens. We watched the swallows dancind above and the humming birds flitting around in teh garde and you could here the birds singing it was all very tranquil.
My husband and two sons say it is the best place they stayed at on our trip because of the location, the ghost town and the uniqueness of it all and would love to come back again. The food we had was breakfast and we ordered several items only to end up with a table full of food which the waitress thought we would not eat all of it, but we did!!!!! The food was good like good old fashioned cooking, ample, filling and the family was quite pleased with it, (I think they were fed up with the ala carte fare from the previous place).
My only beef about the place is it does need a little up dating but judging by the tour buses that came and went and other visitors this was a minor flaw. What really annoys me is the previous negative reviews, if you are looking for a 5 star hotel/resort this is not it and it does not pretend to be that. It is a family run business that was a vision of one man in the 60's and who have worked hard to provide something very unique in a lovely setting in the mountains by a lake. Great for a adventure and picture taking. The hotel itself is almost turing into a museum because of its unique lay out, age and setting. If the quality of food is a issue go to Revelsoke a 15 min max drive east or Salmon Arm to the west where there are many fine dining places. Need to make a long distance phone call, don't most people these day's have cell phones including out of country travellers, as for the water no problem there either, I brushed my teeth and no tummy bug for me or my family. May be some people are hard to please and some are just not too happy and maybe that unhappy moment was when they were visitng!!! FOR US WE REALLY ENJOYED OUR STAY AND WILL BE BACK SOON.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I stopped here for the night and the room was clean and quiet. They told me that it was one of the renovated rooms and it looked ok. Be prepared to buy a $10 phone card if you want to make a long distance call as there is no cell phone coverage here and they did not allow me to call long distance from the room.

The restaurant closes at 7pm so if you arrive later you’re out of luck. They could improve on the menu as it was pretty basic, something you would find at a truck stop. Where is Gordon Ramsey when you need him?

The manager did proceed to lecture me in front of everyone in the restaurant on using the wrong entrance when pulling into the hotel even though I used the correct one. Just what I needed after driving 8 hours.

I did not eat breakfast here as I checked out before the restaurant opened, not sure if it's better than dinner or not.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2009

My husband and I were very pleased with this hotel. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a unique and enjoyable stay. Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the courtyard and lake. We plan to return in the summer time with our kids, as we know they'll enjoy the Ghost Town, Gardens & Beach.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple