“The other reviews vary, but I loved it (except for the service)”

Royal Wok Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 83 Restaurants in Salmon Arm
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I can't dispute that some of the more negative reviews are accurate as I can see how they could have happened. The service is a bit weird to say the least as the lady who runs the place with an iron fist is a bit difficult to deal with. She has to be the most offputtingly domineering and assertive waitress I've ever encountered. If you're looking for courteous and respectful wait staff have you ever come to the wrong place.

One of the funniest things that's happened in any Chinese restaurant has to be that their lunch buffet is empty and they only fill it if they have enough people come in and ask for it. Considering they're across the street from the excellent and well stocked Jade Buffet you have to wonder why they even bother having a buffet at all.

Having said all that, the food is really good. The portions are absolutely enormous (and I'm a huge eater)! Sure, the Colonel Tso Chicken has a celery to chicken ratio of at least 10:1 but the sauce is delightful! Not a single bit of food that our party of four ordered was anything short of exceptional: the fried rice is beyond reproach (it would be the best ever with more egg and cooking the cabbage more), the shrimp are large and perfectly cooked, and the noodles will make you lick your lips. The sign outside says that it's NY Style and it's extremely true to that high standard especially when you consider the extremely low prices given the heft of the portion sizes. It's worth putting up with the very eccentric quirks of the staff to have great Chinese food in what is largely the gourmet wasteland of the Shuswap... so concentrate on the food and the price and have a great time!

1  Thank metaungulate
There are newer reviews for Royal Wok Restaurant

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Don't be fooled by the exterior of this place, step inside, the food is definately worth the visit. I have been here several times over the past year and the food has been consistently good.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

This has become my family's favorite place to eat since they opened. We've never been disappointed. Large portions, great taste, and real spices when it says spicey! We took our family who was visiting from Vancouver and they enjoyed it as much as we do. Thank you for a lovely evening!

1  Thank threesfamily
Reviewed June 11, 2014

After 12 years with the 'other guys' our family has made the switch! We are very impressed with the Chinese food and no longer go anywhere else. It is too bad that they don't offer delivery but most Chinese places in Salmon Arm don't, and there is Busy Bee Delivery that will pick up and bring you anything. The Chinese was a refreshing change from the usual grease-laden Chinese meals I had become accustomed to. Now however it's even better as they have started to offer sushi! They also have a HUGE all you can eat sushi menu,, the only problem was I couldn't eat anymore and was so full! Everyone is kind and relaxed, it's a great spot for families. I also like to go with friends and just have a good visit while mowing down on all you can eat sushi. Eveything is included too! Sashimi, dumplings, cream cheese wontons, spicy stuff, the usual sushi offerings and some on the unusal side too. One of the biggest menu differences from all the other Salmon Arm sushi places is they have hot items too. There are several items on the tempura list alone. I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank Star F
Reviewed June 5, 2014

In a previous review I said these folks had the best chinese food in town and I think they still do.
I will be sticking to chinese takeout from this place now. Tried their new all you can eat sushi for dinner last night and was very disappointed. The chinese part of the buffet was excellent as usual, but the sushi was mediocre at best, and one item, the salmon belly BBQ, was not only not barbecued, it was deep fried rotten fish. You could smell it before it reached the table. Also, there is no tuna on the menu. Too expensive for them I guess? No tuna at a sushi bar, really!?!
Lastly, the bathrooms are absolutely disgusting. From the walls to the mirror that you can hardly see yourself in! What a shame.