“great views of airport flight activity”

Spitfire Grill Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2013

views are great....food top notch...breakfast great value most expensive breakfast item still less than at run of the mill places in area......service great very prompt &pleasent...parking right in front & no charge like airport easy to find about 5 minutes from downtown sidney....would recommend for lunch &evening dining also..........well run local long time owners ....

There are newer reviews for Spitfire Grill Restaurant

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have had breakfast business meetings at the Spitfire Grill in the past that were alright but nothing particularly memorable. We decided to give the Spitfire a try for an evening meal recently and can only describe it as a big disappointment. I realize that every restaurant has its bad days but in terms of service I would have to rate our recent experience this month (August) as the worst I've had in the Victoria area in recent memory. It took nearly one hour to get an order for a hamburger and fish and chips served and then it was lukewarm having apparently sat for some time before it was brought to our table. Had the place been overly busy with standing room only at the entrance, I might be more forgiving but it wasn't. I have to conclude that there was a serious problem either with the kitchen or with the servers and likely both. Aside from being on the cooler side, the food was marginally acceptable. I have certainly had far better cuisine at roughly the same price at Mary's Bleue Moon Cafe which is close by or at the Beacon Landing on the waterfront in Sidney with vastly better service at both restaurants. Future favourable reviews here and elsewhere may convince me to try the Spitfire Grill again but based on our recent experience we will be looking elsewhere in the meantime.

2  Thank James C
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I cannot tell you the number of times we have eaten at this restaurant, We have never had cause to complain about the food- at times the service, but never the food.

We went for brunch and the restaurant was not full. While waiting for a friend to arrive we heard the table next to us complaining they had "been waiting for 36 minutes" for their food to arrive. There were lots of waitstaff on the floor, so the problem must have been with the kitchen.

When our friend arrived we decided to order right away, and sure enough it took over 1/2 an hour for our food to arrive. We are talking breakfast here, so nothing terribly complicated.

I had an eggs benny and the hollandaise sauce was virtually tasteless. The serving of hashbrowns on my plate was half that of my friend who ordered the identical menu item. The english muffin was hard and dry.

My husband had a "B52" plate which includes eggs, toast, 3 kinds of meat with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes- quite a huge plate of food, which it was. The tomato was not cooked, just cut in half on the side of the plate and the sausages were very dry and unpleasant to eat.

We used to really enjoy coming to the Spitfire for breakfast or lunch, but this meal was just plain disappointing.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

we frequently have breakfast or lunch at the Spitfire and have never been disappointed. Their menu suits both vegetarian and carnivore, in the same manner the Waite staff have always been topnotch.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This restaurant located behind the Victoria Airport is not high on ambience, but the food and service were great! Large open windows provide a view of be airport. Friendly, fast service. My husband ordered a steak which came with fried onions as a garnish, and fresh vegetables. He enjoyed it very much. I had a half size spinach salad with sliced boiled eggs, pickled red onion, and candied pecans. I must say it was very good, and was a large portion for a half size. I ordered a seafood crepe which had loads of shrimp, crab, salmon, scallops topped with a lovely sauce. Roasted potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots possibly steamed then sautéed were really good. Fresh, not overcooked at all. The servings were very generous and much more than enough. We felt that the meal was a very good value. Spitfire also has a full bar, and features wine specials each night. We did not order dessert, but the desserts which we saw looked very generous and yummy. Thumbs up to the Spitfire.