All reviews sidney pier underground parking coffee shop hotel restaurant ocean view hotel staff local shops floor to ceiling windows dining table beautiful room spectacular views beacon street king bed san juan islands minute drive stayed longer stayed one night
Selected filters
Reviewed May 21, 2019

Arriving at the airport and picking up our rental car, we proceeded to Sidney for lunch but when we got there we decided to see if we could get into the hotel a bit early for my reservation. We were very happy to find that on that day there was no problem and we were given our room immediately. This was booked as a non-view room but we were overlooking the main street with a balcony. All in all, a nice modern well-equipped room with twin queen beds and all the other normal facilities. We had a pleasant and quiet stay for one night. The only thing I could not understand is why they would charge parking in a place like this, even though it’s only five dollars a day?

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NatalieK607, General Manager at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2019

Thank you for choosing the Pier for your stay! I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

A new, rather small hotel in which most rooms have a view eastward over Haro Strait to Mt. Baker. Gorgeous sunrises. Immaculate, pleasant room, comfortable furnishings. Very convenient to ferry terminal; close to many cute shops and good restaurants.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NatalieK607, General Manager at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2019

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Pier - thank you for choosing us!
I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

After spending a week on Vancouver Island we decided to spend the night in Sidney, with plans to catch an early ferry to the mainland. I booked a one-bedroom ocean view suite for 2 adults and 2 children, about 2 weeks ahead of time.

At check in, the staff were friendly (if somewhat nonchalant). There is secure underground parking with elevator access for easy luggage unloading, which is handy as there is no valet or bellhop/porter.

First impressions are important. The counters in the kitchenette had spills and dust on them. The hallways smelled like a condo building (I believe there are condo units in the building). Almost immediately my wife noticed hair in the floor of the shower. Gross. Not the first time that’s happened in a hotel (and nothing a little rinsing can’t fix) but calls into question the cleaning standards.

Then we noticed some hairs on top of the duvet on the bed. And hairs on the pillows. Then pulled back blankets to reveal hair, crumbs and clearly slept in sheets, on a poorly made bed. That was the dealbreaker for us. We loaded the luggage back up, booked a room in Victoria and immediately checked out. Cleanliness paramount in a hotel. I’ve stayed in countless motels, hotels, b&b’s, and I’ve never checked into a room that didn’t *at least* have fresh, clean sheets. For $330/night, my expectations were reasonably higher than “bare minimum”.

To the credit of the front desk staff, they didn’t hesitate to apologize and offer a full refund. That was appreciated. They also implied a manager would call me to discuss the issues. More than 48 hrs later I have not heard from them. To be fair; however, there is likely nothing they could offer that would convince me to return to the Sidney Pier Hotel.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank krempp

Thank you for sharing your comments.
We would have liked to have made some recovery but you departed before any could be made.
The room was inspected immediately after you left, and our Housekeeping Manager did acknowledge there was some particulate matter on the duvet cover. There were no hairs or dust found in the bathroom or on the duvet.
There was no message to contact you directly.
We have an outstanding Housekeeping team in the hotel, as our hundreds of reviews indicate. However, we also take ownership for mistakes when they happen. I do apologize for the room not being spotless - we strive to present our rooms to every guest as if they are the very first to enjoy the room.

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

Sidney Pier suited us perfectly. Love the small scale hotel vibe. Room, (although only business king was available), was very spacious and clean with all the amenities we needed. Reception was very friendly & helpful. Had a great sleep on comfortable bed. Very quiet and great blackout drapes allowed us to sleep longer than usual! Had a fantastic dinner at Haro’s in the hotel looking out at the water. Will definitely be back, and looking forward to staying in an ocean front suite.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NatalieK607, General Manager at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for choosing the Pier. I am so pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel, restaurant and our service! I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2019

Well decorated rooms were off-set by poor reception service - noone at desk on arrival and when the woman arrived the greeting was cold. No information provided - internet, where the room was, restaurants - I had to ask. Arriving late at night, it was disappointing to walk in to a pitch-dark room and with the door closed behind me, I struggled to find the lights. Couldn't find the tea or milk (found in the cupboard the next morning). Hairs left on the bathroom floor and the pillow was lumpy

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am disappointed to read about your welcome - it is uncharacteristic of our service, and I apologize. If you would care to speak with me directly, I can be reached via email at natalie.king@sidneypier.com or by phone at 250-655-9779. We take our guest's experience very seriously and I hope we can connect personally.