“Wonderful time at The Beacon Inn”

Beacon Inn at Sidney
Ranked #1 of 8 Sidney B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We spent two days in Sidney, BC and had a wonderful experience at this unique B & B. Because of mobility issues we requested the main floor. We were in the Pender room and it was well maintained, very clean, large bathroom and an extremely large room. Complimentary sherry was served at 5:00 pm and gave you a chance to meet the other guests. Breakfast was a set time which was fine. Both mornings we had a lovely breakfast. No, it is not a five course meal but plenty big enough. We had coffee/tea/juice, a starter and then a hot dish. No rush , just great relaxation. We met the owner of the inn as well and he wanted to make sure everything was ok and the service was what we expected. Yes, you have to lock the door going in and out but that was ok. All the inn staff took great care of us and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. I wish we lived closer, we would certainly return again to enjoy the hospitality. There was nothing negative at all about Beacon Inn and would highly recomment it to anyone who enjoys going to any country inns, you will not regret it. I cannot understand some of the really negative comments about the inn, it makes me think we were not at the same place. A big thank you to everyone involved with the Beacon Inn.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so main floor may be best for some. Very quiet though so you do not need to w...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayOntario
InnkeeperSidney_BC, General Manager at Beacon Inn at Sidney, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

Thank you so much for your lovely detailed review of the Inn! We strive to always provide the best possible service and product to our valued guests and your positive feedback is appreciated by myself and all of our hard working staff.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Denise Peat, Innkeeper

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in the Saltspring Suite on the last stretch of our honeymoon. It's a very romantic setup, with a 2-person tub, cozy rooms, beautiful views of the city and a royal Victorian aesthetic. The breakfasts were filling, the staff extremely nice and helpful, and the area very laid-back and perfect for a couple days' stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed in a ground floor room and was extremely pleased. Staff, breakfast, room were all superior.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

From the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty by the friendly staff.

The room, a beautiful suite, was well appointed and wonderful. From the comfortable bed to the large soaking tub we enjoyed it all. Everyone should have a romance rekindle weekend like the Beacon Inn can provide at least once a year.

The breakfasts were great. Perfect before heading out to the nearby bookstores, shops and the Ocean Centre in downtown Sidney. There are also a number of wonderful restaurants nearby for a range of tastes and budgets.

I liked the room most and the friendly staff -- no stuffy formality, just friendly and helpful.

The weekend would have been absolutely perfect if it was warmer and sunnier. In summary: I'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2011

very nice inn. clean with friendly staff.
breakfast not enough to keep you full though, you will need a snack after leaving in the morning

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I've gone back and looked at the reviews of the Inn and I can't believe we are talking about the same place. We arrived within the check in hours, but it took some knocking on the door to get someone to open the 'forever locked' front door. Our first floor "suite" was a small, musty space, with furniture well past its prime. The ridge in the middle of the mattress suggested it was over do for replacement. The bathroom was bright and overstuffed...shower and spa tub. Space was at a premium. Breakfast was a total miss. A tad of friut covered with yogurt, juice, one english muffin covered with a cooked egg and cheese mixture and then broiled, it couldn't hold a candle to a value breakfast meal from McDonald's. But then Mickey D's didn't have a melon slice garnish slice so thin you could read through it. Even the sherry at five can't hide the fact that the Inn is over priced and, with all due respects to previous reviewers, over rated.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank HelvetiaCH
InnkeeperSidney_BC, General Manager at Beacon Inn at Sidney, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Please excuse this lengthy response, however for the benefit of other travellers, I cannot allow such inaccurate and misleading claims to stand without comment. I must admit, I had to read this review several times over, certain that the reviewer had mistaken our property with another during their travels. I will start off by stating that it would be virtually impossible for a property to be awarded a 5-Star rating such as ours, to maintain this highest of ratings, if the assertions made by this reviewer were accurate, and I truly believe that those reading this review will be savvy enough to realize this truth. I will address the points made by the reviewer below:

Our front door is indeed kept locked, this is for our security, and even more importantly, for that of our guests, and it is for this reason that we have a clear notice at the front door to "Please Press the Call Buzzer for Entry". Once a guest has checked-in, they are provided with a key to our front door so they can come and go freely.

As we are a newer property (mock-heritage style), we are very fortunate and happy to say that we do not have a "musty" smell on our premises, as can sometimes be present in older buildings, and I dispute this claim in it's entirety. Also noteworthy, 8 of our 9 units are "guestrooms", with our one and only "suite" located on our 3rd floor. At no time have we ever suggested, or implied that a "room" was a "suite"... if this reviewer was for some unknown reason, expecting a "suite", then their well appointed and spacious "guestroom" could have been perceived as small for a "suite".

As a 5-Star property, we are subject to stringent (surprise) inspections, where everything from cleanliness, condition of the paint on the walls, to the condition of our mattresses and furnishings are scrutinized. We are proud of the fact that we have passed inspections with flying colours each and every year since being awarded our 5-Star rating. I would encourage anyone considering a stay with us, to view our rooms on our website and take a "virtual tour", to explore each room as if you were actually there, including the room occupied by this reviewer, our Pender Island room.

Our breakfasts....we provide a "complimentary" set menu, full breakfast, consisting of bottomless coffee or tea, juice, fruit, or fruit/yogurt starter, followed by a hot main course, which varies daily, as well as granola for those who enjoy cereal. Typically, an Inn or Bed & Breakfast will provide fare that is different from the "usual" breakfast fare, yet there are always a small minority who would prefer something different than what is offered.

Lastly, I would urge anyone seeking area accommodation to do their own research and judge for themselves... we are competitively priced, and some would say a bargain for a 5-Star property!

In closing, I would have appreciated the opportunity to personally speak with the reviewer at the time of their stay, to understand exactly how their 1-night stay could have warranted such a mean-spirited attempt at tarnishing our excellent reputation.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

This was not my first time at the Beacon Inn but this time I arrived suffering from a full blown flu over the Easter weekend. As soon as the staff were aware of my poor health, they immediately wanted to ease my ill health. They couldn't do enough for me and were genuinely concerned. The lovely woman on the desk made me a cup of tea (after finding out what type I preferred and what I might like to go with it), accompanied by some lovely Island honey and cut up orange slices (for extra vitamin C) -- see how thoughtful? She also turned down my bed for me since she knew I'd be staying in bed. They left some orange juice in the fridge for me to help myself to and overall were amazingly caring. Being away from home when this sick is difficult but they were amazingly helpful and caring and tried so hard to make things easier for me. As usual, the breakfast, the clean room, and pleasant staff were a treat.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank fromHythe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 46 in Victoria
Hotel Rialto
#5 of 46 in Victoria

Been to Beacon Inn at Sidney? Share your experiences!