“Authentic, Sincere, Delicious”
Review of Carlos Cantina & Grill - CLOSED

Carlos Cantina & Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Carlos Cantina & Grill offers a great location & atmosphere with delicious authentic Mexican cuisine. This busy restaurant in the heart of Sidney has been open at the same location for many years & enjoys an outstanding reputation for good food & a loyal following of clientele. The business boasts a consistent top internet restaurant ratings rank, such as the Urban Spoon & Groupon, within the Victoria area for Mexican food. Opening hours are reasonable & the kitchen is organized & fully equipped. Lovely outdoor seating, that takes advantage of the beautiful evenings in lovely Sidney By the Sea, including the popular Sidney Summer Markets, that run Thursday evenings during the summer season right outside its door.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It may not be the norm to review restaurants in one's home town...travel usually motivates this, Carlos Cantina & Grill is a 'go to' spot here that never disappoints. It's one of those small restaurants (that expands to the sidewalk in the summer months) that one hopes will be there forever. So far, so good. Anyone used to ordering standard Mexican food will be impressed with the quality and quantity. Mexican Food newbies will love it as well. Subtle, mutli-layered tastes that last throughout the entire eating experience, making you want to lick the plate....but being of British stock, one knows to place the sauce on the fork with the aid of the knife. Carlos is a delight.

There are newer reviews for Carlos Cantina & Grill

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stopped by here for a later lunch after book browsing on our way to the ferry. A little hard to find at first, this tiny place has free ample parking just down the block if street parking proves challenging.

The bright, festive interior is cozy and certainly not drab, with lots of natural light. For the table, we had the taquitas, beef burrito, mango and brie burrito and the tortilla soup. All of the food was excellent, nicely spiced with a touch of citrus induced brightness that so much 'Mexican' food lacks elsewhere. Portion sizes were good, but consider ordering a starter and a main if you are really hungry.

The Cantina will be top of our list next time we find ourselves with a little time in Sidney.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We went here because of the positive reviews. It is a cute little restaurant and was full on the Friday night that when we went. The only server was attentive albeit busy and I understand she is the new owner. Carlos has sold the business to her.
The food was tasty and my husband reported that the tortilla soup was delicious. I had a fish taco and although it was good I didn't find it to be as authentic as others I have had. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it anyway.
Good luck to the new owner, this is a nice little restaurant and a pleasant change for all the Greek places in Sidney.

1  Thank rainy
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We walked into Carlos' and the server brought our waters with the menus, pointing out the kids choices for us. The food was prepared quickly, and was beautifully presented. The kids loved their quesadillas, and our chicken enchiladas were delicious - we tried the verde, roja and mole sauces, so yummy! All this great food, and charming service made it a great experience.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went based on Trip Advisor #1 ranking. High ranking is deserved as I had the best Tortilla Soup in my life; and I have had it homemade. My wife had chicken mole' and it was her best ever. Place is small with only five or six tables but it would be worth the wait for those two dishes alone.