“Finally a home made restaurant !!!! Real food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carlos Cantina & Grill - CLOSED

Carlos Cantina & Grill
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings
Description: Carlos Cantina & Grill offers a great location & atmosphere with delicious authentic Mexican cuisine. This busy restaurant in the heart of Sidney has been open at the same location for many years & enjoys an outstanding reputation for good food & a loyal following of clientele. The business boasts a consistent top internet restaurant ratings rank, such as the Urban Spoon & Groupon, within the Victoria area for Mexican food. Opening hours are reasonable & the kitchen is organized & fully equipped. Lovely outdoor seating, that takes advantage of the beautiful evenings in lovely Sidney By the Sea, including the popular Sidney Summer Markets, that run Thursday evenings during the summer season right outside its door.
“Finally a home made restaurant !!!! Real food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Yes, real food !! Why other restaurants can not have that Carlos has!? Good service, good price and amazing food quality. Also I never expected to have Mexican with such flavour and great presentation too. Go there! Just go!!!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Ceciliafmoores

Victoria
“Three tasty dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Victoria, BC

“Three dishes ... all unique and very tasty”

Pending review

The spicy prawns (camarones picantes), the chicken (pollo) móle (can you believe chocolate in the sauce?) and the enchiladas (I tried the beef with two of the four sauce options) were nicely presented and enjoyed by the three of us who drove north to Sidney from Victoria to check out this little restaurant. The salad, rice (made with corn, peas and carrots) and black beans were all excellent. (I like my black beans in a sauce, Cuban style, but this drier form in a tortilla cup was just fine.) The server (who I believe was the owner) was very helpful in answering questions and recommending a new (for me) Mexican beer (Pacific). I noticed a couple of take out orders while in the restaurant. Will go back soon to try the desserts!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank moalta
Victoria, BC
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

An excellent restaurant to visit if you are looking for great Mexican food that is reasonably priced and always very tasty. Victor is a most attentive owner and always goes out of his way to provide attentive, friendly service. Highly recommended!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank bethanybee
BC
“Oh my gosh!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

So delicious! We were standing outside this small Mexican place reading the menu when a family entered and encouraged us to come in. "Is it good?" I asked. They replied with smiles and nods. Since I am not a fan of spicy food I was hesitant but hubby thought it would be fun to try so entered we did. We both decided to try the fish tacos and as I ordered I decided to ask about the spice level. I was assured that the spiciness was up to me to add using the variety of sauces on our table. We had our choice of soup (tomato tortilla) or salad. I took the soup and hubby had the salad. Our meals came promptly. Each of us received a plate with three corn tortillas filled with yummy goodness. Again - oh my gosh!! This was the most flavourable meal I had had in a long time. Everything complimented each other perfectly. The soup had a bit of heat to it but again it worked well with the tacos. Hubby said the salad was wonderful as well. Everything is homemade at his little restaurant and we simply could not pass up on the caramel type flan (it had a much more authentic name but it escapes me) which we decided to share. Again to die for and a really healthy portion.....but that being said, I think hubby got more than me!!!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank fatdogowner
Victoria, Canada
“Quaint Authentic Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I think I've found my new favorite restaurant! We bought the groupon and we'll definitely be back. Had our 2 year old with is and she was greeted with a bucket of small toys! :) we were greeted by Victor on our entrance with a "hello my friend!" So welcoming.

We had delicious nachos for a starter. By the way all the food is fresh and handmade. The guacamole is out of this world. Mains were: enchilada tex mex and the prawn fajitas. Superb portions. Delicious meal. Victor chatted with us about the recipe of the guacamole after I asked him for the recipe. So personable!

Reservations Are strongly suggested. We went at 6pm and all the tables were reserved. Will be back again and again.

3 Thank Robin H