“On first glance....but great food.”
Review of The Pier Bistro

The Pier Bistro
Ranked #8 of 84 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Pier Bistro in Sidney B.C. is located literally right on the Beacon Pier itself. We offer a casual waterfront dining experience with panoramic ocean views of the Gulf Islands. We serve unique and tasty entrees like Award Winning Seafood Chowder, Crab Cake Bennies, Gourmet Salads and a variety of Fish n' Chips to name a few.
Minneapolis, MN
“On first glance....but great food.”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Looking at the restaurant from the boardwalk, my wife and I almost kept walking. But we took a chance and THOROUGHLY enjoyed the crab cakes and seafood chowder. This was just what we were looking for during our seaside vacation but had a hard time finding it on Vancouver or Sidney menus. Sure...the prices were a little high....especially for lunch. But given the limited seating and view, I understand why. We ended up catching a later ferry just to have another meal here!

“Very disappointing meal”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The menu selection was good; the younger members in our foursome opted for burgers and seafood chowder. The burgers were good, and the seafood chowder got a rave report from the youngest member of our group. We grandparents opted for the fish and chips, one order with one piece of cod, and one with two (mine). This was close to one of the worst fish and chip meals my wife and I have had. There was very little fish (if you could find it) buried inside huge masses of batter which had been cooked to basic toughness -- I had to ask for a bowl to put in all the tough pieces of batter in my quest to hunt for the fish. One or two nice cubes of fish were found, but that's between two pieces of fish which, upon initial inspection, appeared to be two very nice big pieces of deep fried cod. The disappointing result brought forth little cod, lots of deep fried batter. There were tons of chips which did not look appetizing, and while they tasted a bit fair, although somewhat cold, they were at the bottom of this heap of hard batter and we ate very few of them.

1 Thank Gordon D
Kimberley, Canada
“Fantastic Setting Food O.K.”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The views , especially from the outdoor sitting , are perfect for a seafood dinner. We have been here for a meal every time we come to Vancouver Island . The fish and chips are a dollar or two more than downtown but the location makes it worthwhile. Try the crabcakes without the sauce. For cooler ocean breezes, blankets are supplied to cover your legs.

Victoria, Canada
“Great location, nice food....a bit pricey”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My title says it all. I love fish and chips...but I don't have seafood that often due to allergies in the family. So if I can visit a fish and chip place with friends, I do! First time here, even though this is pretty much in my back yard (well, more like a 30 minute drive...but a nice drive on a nice day!).

The place is cute and the location is great! perfect location and ambience for a seafood place. The menu is what you'd expect, with the variations of seafood and fish and chips. But I have to admit the prices did surprise me. 2 piece halibut and chips was $15 - for lunch. ouch. I ordered that, and my tween daughter ordered the same (no kids menu for her now adays!)... with pop and juice, and taxes and tip, our lunch was pushing $50.

The fish portions were decent, and although I couldn't finish my chips, I thought the portion for chips was a bit chinzy. My daughter had no problem finishing her plate, and polished off my remainig chips.

I would probably go again...if it was with friends and just somewhere to have a nice view. But I'm glad i was only paying for 2 of us! If my family of 4 went, it's be a pretty pricey lunch.

• Visited April 2012
“A perfect location”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

At the far end of the Sidney pier, and across from the old-style fresh fish market is a shack, within which is a surprising little bistro. The views of straights and Gulf Islands are fabulous. The service is friendly and acceptably attentive. I've read reviews here that claim the food is lack-luster, but I disagree. The food is not fancy, but it is flavourful, comfortable, and well proportioned. And you cannot beat the ambiance. If you are a visitor to Sidney, the Pier Bistro is a must do.

• Visited October 2011