“Very convenient”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Very convenient”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Once we got past the hotel lobby we were quite impressed with the value we received. For what we paid, we got a bright, clean room with fresh linens and a flat screen TV. We visit twice a year as a trade show vendor at the Mary Winspear and have tried other hotels in the area, but the convenience and friendliness of the staff have made us stay here more than a couple of times.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Will C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall, the rooms are nice (stayed in a kitchenette suite this time), clean and comfortable. Free wifi is a nice touch! The staff is friendly - look forward to staying here again! Too bad it was November - it might have been nice to sit out by the pool...

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Rohan B
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed November 17, 2012

After reading some of the critical reviews I was curious about what kind of place we were headed to. The lobby may not be beautiful, but it's functional and most of us don't spend our vacations or stayovers in the lobby anyway. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly, but most importantly on this trip was the convenience and flexibility of the shuttle. I didn't rent a car while in BC and was amazed at how the staff worked to meet my needs. In less than 24 hours the shuttle picked my daughter and I up at the ferry, picked me up when I rode a bus to the airport (long, weird story :-) in the evening from downtown and took me to the airport the next morning at 7am for my flight home. The drivers were personable, dependable and a pleasure to ride with. Definitely a place I'd recommend in the future. As an aside.......the Pub next to the hotel was comfortable and the food good!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Starzoverbend
Port Alberni, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2012

They charge you like a four stars and you get a den. Complimentary breakfast sucks, the building needs to be completely renovated from the foundations up. Customer service is like Guantanamo Bay.
Stinky old carpets, old washrooms and smells like mold and rotten stuff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Albernio
GMNCVat, General Manager at Travelodge Victoria Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate all reviews, good and bad. The good ones let management and staff know our guests enjoyed their stay and the bad ones help us identify problems and ways we can improve on our guests experience with us. I'm sorry you were not happy with the rate you paid or your room and our services. We review our rates constantly and try to ensure they are fair and competitive with other hotels in our area. When comparative shopping online, I think you will find our rates to be the most reasonable in our market. As for the staff, I cannot comment to much as I'm not aware of your specific interaction, but I feel our staff are one of the main reasons we are a successful hotel. Most have been here a very long time and sincerely like working with our guests and will make every attempt to ensure they have an enjoyable stay. I wish I had more information on your stay but I think our rooms are very clean and comfortable with valuable amenities that many of our guests keep retuning for.

Travelers are raving about these Sidney hotels

AURORA
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel was very clean. People at the front desk helpful and friendly. The bed linens were crisp, cozy and inviting. Would recommend to anyone wanting an affordable, nice place to stay without paying the price for a hotel in Victoria. Just a short drive to the city sights, and close to Buchart Gardens.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank CHERYL R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I walked into the lobby, I almost turned around and walked out! The lobby is in dire need of a complete overhaul. It is, quite frankly, dreadful, and makes for a very bad first impression.

The carpet is torn, badly stained, and threadbare. It looks like something you'd see in a seedy motel.The lobby's chairs are downright ugly - grey, blue and black "mod" patterned upholstery. They look like they were salvaged from a 1970s disco. The walls are painted a hideous brown color, exactly the color one would see on a rusty tin can. This color appears to be throughout the hotel, including the rooms. The other wall colors (dull mustardy-beige-orange) are equally jarring and depressing to look at. I have a feeling this place got a good deal on ugly paint and decided to save some bucks and slapped it on all the walls.

Anyway, they should ditch the carpet in the lobby and put in some sort of engineered hardwood or the vinyl "wood" flooring that's in the Best Western down the road. The walls should be painted in a warm, neutral shade. That rusty pain has to go!

There are too many garbage cans in the lobby. I think there were five or six large trash cans and possibly a smaller one near the little computer station. Just another reason to really hate this lobby.

I'm not a fan of the free breakfasts that many hotels offer. If you don't have a dedicated room or separate area to serve food, don't do it. This establishment would be better off giving its guests coffee and juice in the morning, and offering a discount for breakfast at one of the nearby restaurants. This hotel serves its free breakfast in the lobby. It's way too small to host a breakfast of any kind.The smell of boiled eggs and old food permeates the room long after breakfast is over. Actually, I think a lot of food has been ground into the poor old carpet. Folks checking out have to make room for hotel guests balancing flimsy plates of donuts and bagels in one hand, and tiny paper coffee cups in the other. It's just unpleasant.

Anyway, the owners need to completely redo the lobby. First impressions do count. I'm sure many walk-ins take a peek in the lobby and bolt, because they'd think the rooms were the same, or worse.

On the plus side; the staff is very accommodating, friendly and helpful. I was impressed with all the front-desk employees, and the housekeepers were pleasant, too.

The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. The carpet was "newish" and a huge improvement over the raggy lobby carpet.The baseboards could have used a vacuum, but I've noticed that baseboards are often overlooked in most hotels I stay at, so that's probably a nitpicky comment.

The TV was new - large flat screen. The picture quality was excellent. Internet service was speedy and reliable. No problems there. Rooms have a small fridge and microwave. My bathroom was a good-size, had all the amenities I needed (replenished every day), and was very clean and shiny. The room has plenty of lamps so lighting is good.

There is a small, lovely courtyard in the center of the property. There is a small pool, manicured grassy area, hanging flower pots, and plenty of lawn chairs, loungers and tables. It really is a nice little oasis and completely unexpected.

This property is at an excellent location - very close to the highway and the airport, as well as the ferry terminal. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Room Tip: Stay in the business section which is located in the newer part of this property. Best rooms are on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nogobev
GMNCVat, General Manager at Travelodge Victoria Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I would like to thank you for not turning around and walking out, but instead giving our hotel an opportunity not based on your first impression, and for taking the time to write your in depth review. .
Your observation on the condition of the lobby carpet is regrettable true. It is in poor condition and should have been replaced before it got to that point. As for the wall colours and furniture covering you did not like, we have found that to be a "mixed" comment from our guests. Some guests have said they did not like the brick colour of the walls but we have also had many comment's from guests who liked the colours, and thought they gave the hotel a warm look and feeling. (On a side note the paint and furniture were designed by a professional interior designer). I also agree that serving our breakfast in the lobby is not the best use for the space or the best place to serve our breakfast. That being said, I am very happy to inform you that your comments were extremely timely in that the hotel came under new ownership at the beginning of September, and the very first thing that was identified and put on a priority list of improvements was renovating the lobby and moving our continental breakfast to a more convenient location.

I don't know if we will be changing paint colours, ( I will make sure your comments are tabled) but I am looking forward to the renovations which will present a much improved, first impression of our property to our guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give our hotel your honest and fair comments and l look forward to receiving you and all our future guests in our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area, as well as other new improvements happening in the near future.
Snowflake, Arizona
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent two weeks on the Island visiting Tofino, Nanaimo, Buchard Gardens and Victoria. On our last night we stayed at the Travelodge to catch an early flight back home to Arizona. The rates were only $30.00 cheaper then the 3 star hotel we stayed at in Victoria however with the free parking, internet, breakfast and shuttle to the airport it ended up being more then a $80.00 difference when you added it all up.The room was nice, clean and quite The staff were very friendly and truly nice people. One young man had worked there for 12 years and the other young lady for 10 years, and the Manager for 15 years. We were impressed that a group could work together for so long in an customer service industry. The manager helped us with my Iphone, showing us we could still use the internet without having the roaming on, too bad it was our last night of vacation. Looking forward to coming back again next year, the entire experience was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DesertRose907
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel
#2 of 4 in Central Saanich
Days Inn Victoria Uptown
Days Inn Victoria Uptown
#26 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Travelodge Victoria Airport? Share your experiences!