“Delicious...just don't order the lobster bisque.”
Review of Deep Cove Chalet

Deep Cove Chalet
Ranked #4 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I went to the deep cove chalet with my friend and husband the other night. I ordered the lobster bisque, my first spoonful tasted like dish water but the after taste was bitter and disgusting! I made my husband try it and we both agreed that not only was this the worst dish we had ever had in a restaurant it was the worst dish we had ever tried anywhere! It was completely in edible so I had to send it back. Let me clarify, I never send dishes back in restaurants and I LOVE food and am not a picky eater. Anyways I sent it back and switched it to the French onion which was delicious, followed by the coq au vin and the lemon souffle which were both outstanding. I would definitely go back but avoid the bisque!

4  Thank Foodiess

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We've been going to the Deep Cove Chalet maybe twice a year for almost 20 years. I don't think the menu has changed and we've been around it several times. I read all the reviews, and they are all right. Our experience is almost always excellent, but there have been a few rough edges at times, one down right annoying. Never with the food though. That's always perfect, and wonderful. This is my wife and my favorite restaurant.

1  Thank Bob Q
Reviewed July 23, 2012

What is it they say ' Location, location, location', well this place has one of the nicest locations possible, the views are amazing.
To me first impressions count and at the Deep cove chalet I was greeted by crumbs from the previous diner on my chair and a stained napkin folded on my table.The great views also failed to distract from the aged decor and retirement home smell that permeated the air.
During the course of our meals the male waiter managed to spill wine onto my butter dish and over the butter and the female waitress whisked my partners plate away so fast that she showered my partner in crumbs......I guess that explains why my chair was covered ! My partner tried to excuse these actions saying " They are only kids ", when you are paying the prices this place charges sloppy service should not be excused.
I began with Lobster Bisque as my appy, I had always been under the impression that this soup was meant to be creamy, this version was not and tasted just like the water they had used to cook the persons lobster in on the opposite table. Please don't let this put you off as I'd not had Lobster Bisque in quite a few years so my opinion could be wrong !
I then had the hot avocado salad, this was actually pretty good. The two large scallops and two large prawns were cooked to perfection, no complaints with this meal.
For my main I'd opted for the Fillet of beef. Now I'd requested it medium rare and in my opinion it came out very medium, not a hint of red in sight and as they failed to supply me with a steak knife cutting through it was often tricky. As steaks go this was still pretty good though, very tasty.
The down side to the main was the veg, at least I think they were veg, being so small it ws quite hard to tell. I actually felt bad for eating my single carrot as it was so thin and tiny, the stalk at the top was the largest part. I wanted to plant him back in the garden so he could grow into a real carrot ! Arranged around my plate was also what appeared to be a small teaspoon of spinach, small teaspoon of swede and roast potato type object. The potato type object looked as if it had been dropped on the floor and danced on by the chef before being re-heated and placed on my plate. it even made my mother-in-laws potatoes look good !
My review might sound a little mean but when you are paying upwards of $200 for a meal for two I expect better than this. I'm actually glad I can't afford to eat at restaurants such as this on a regular basis as I can visit my local pub maybe four times for the same cost and always come away feel very satisfied.

6  Thank Dena G
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Starting with the good features: great location and view, young servers were excellent, food was exceptionally good and beautifully presented, wine selection extensive and varied, top rated chef.
Two features needing immediate attention: 1. While I was waiting at the bar to order a drink, the owner, Bev, dug her hand into the ice bucket and put the ice into the glass of a drink she was preparing and then handed it to the customer. The customer hadn't noticed this and accepted the drink. I asked for a drink with ice and watched carefully to ensure the owner didn't repeat her unhygienic manoeuver. For my drink the owner used the ice scoop but dipped it into the ice container that had bottles of wine and juice cooling in it. I commented on this and said that I didn't want ice if she had to take it out of the bucket that was being used for cooling wine bottles. She said "no ice?" I said "no ice if you're going to take it out of that bucket!" She plunked the glass down on the bar without a word and turned away. Ouch! Not the behaviour I would have expected in such an upscale establishment. 2. The owners have two large long-haired golden labs that wander about the restaurant. The result is that the entire interior smells very strongly of wet dog and detracts from the feeling that you're dining in a very expensive restaurant. Again, not what you'd expect in an upscale establishment.

10  Thank sgm2010
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Lots of available parking with a near level entry to the resturant. Met at the entrance and taken to our table. We booked ahead and had a table for four by the window. We had drinks and visited for a period of time which did not pose an issue for our server. Of note was the fact that the server was "there" but not intrusive. View, service and food were all excellent. Two dined on the beef offerings while two dined on the lamb offerings with everything prepared perfectly. The syrah selected from the wine menu was just ok given the pricing.

1  Thank MacBritishColumbia