“Beautiful experience”

A Paddle in the Park
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Sidney
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea kayak day tours, multi day tours, lessons, rentals and mothership tours. Whether you're an experienced paddler or you've never been on the water before, we have the trip for you.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The scenery is beautiful and guides are fantastic. This is a definite must do when visiting Vancouver Island.

2  Thank JMabbott
in 5 reviews
"blast"
"rocks"

Reviewed September 30, 2013

After making our reservation online on the companies website we printed off the directions which directed is to Dock E. We waited at the dock for 2.5 hours. We also wandered around the marina looking for someone who would let us know if they had moved. After reading other reviews on groupon stating their trips had been cancelled with little to no notice we decided to leave. Half an hour after hour reservation we got a call from an employee asking if we were still planning on coming. I explained that we had been waiting at Dock E for a few hours but did not see them. She then told me they had moved to Dock A and did not apologize for having the wrong directions on the website. We did go back and had a very quick tour. It felt a bit rushed and we were not out there for the 3 hours we had paid for. I see the website is now I updated which is nice but it would have been nice to know that when I made the reservation...I would not go back.

2  Thank Paddler23
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Groupon reservation canceled by company evening prior, as "not enough people". Called to rebook and to explain that I was leaving in a week and would like some idea of when, in their experience, would be the best time to ensure they would have "enough people" so I could use my Groupon. I was rudely informed to just keep trying and if I had a problem with that take it up with Groupon! Very rude, disinterested and dismissive. DO NOT RECOMMEND!

2  Thank Linda S
kayak_girls, Owner at A Paddle in the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

I apologies, there was no rudeness intended. We reviewed are bookings and tried to find a booking you could be added to. Unfortunately we were not successful. This is not a common problem, but that week in question was very slow in bookings. Though the deal may expire, the value you paid for the groupon does not, so in the future, if you can use it, please do. I would advise anyone who is booking a promotional tour through groupon to please carefully review the terms and conditions. The availability of the tours is dependent upon other groupon users. As such, if the available dates that you can go out are very limited, this is likely not a good option for you. We were not trying to pass the buck, but suggested inquiring with groupon for a refund because we only receive half of what you pay, and thus were only in a position to refund 50% of your cost.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My dream of a Victoria vacation included a kayaking trip, and I tried for some time to arrange it. Kayaking tours do not yet seem to be as popular here as in some tourist destinations, and these people do not run as polished an operation as others I've encountered. They're running this business as a part-time venture, for the love of it! After finally making the arrangements in person, we had the most exciting kayaking outing ever. Our guide was reassuring for two seniors with limited experience and he knew where to look for the wildlife. We saw lots of seals, various birds, glorious scenery, and the most awesome group of transient orcas, dining on seals!. Totally by surprise, and so close that I don't expect anyone to believe us! Kayaking here really was a dream come true. I wish these folks the best of luck, and hope they keep at it. I would love to go back!

4  Thank Candace H
See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Like the others I bought a groupon and booked months ago. I called today, being Saturday, to confirm. They called me back tonight to say my tour on Monday is cancelled as there aren't enough people, oh, and as that happens to be the last day of the promotional value if we rebook for another time we will have to pay full rate! So they cancel on us with less than 36 hours notice with our only option being join tomorrow morning's group or lose the groupon promotional value! A heads up last week some time or even Friday night and I might have been able to do it, but seriously, finding out late in the evening for tomorrow morning, are you kidding me!! I don't know too many people with families who can rearrange things on a dime like that. Anyway, I wrote to Groupon so we will see what happens. I'm really pissed off. She was so rude and unapologetic about it, kind of surprised they are still in business.

1  Thank stephaniemanning

I apologies to anyone that has had a bad experience. The groupon conditions are very well stated and I would encourage you to consider if the conditions will work for your needs. As a part of the groupon deal, groupon provides the booking service through Groupon Scheduler. We set aside a side up 6 tour slots a day, Please read your groupon terms and conditions carefully!

We require 4 bookings to make the tour a go. You can book a tour up to 24 hours in advance and we can cancel a tour up to 24 hrs in advance. Less than 4 bookings and we will not be able to pay your tour guide.

Often this inconvenience has been caused by someone else canceling last minute, just before the 24 hr period, which requires us to reschedule the rest of the group.

I will also mention we have looked after over 500 groupon clients, and their feed back to groupon has been 92% positive that they would recommend us to a friend.

Frequently, if it is Melissa or I we will go above and beyond the groupon terms and conditions. When we can, to make it work we have frequently taken out tours with groups of less than 4 and we spend a great deal of time sorting out and combining tours together to get people out on tours.

As to the issue of rudeness, I am very sorry to hear you were left with that feeling. We take peoples concerns and complaints very seriously and also try to be very polite. Unfortunately, you had booked on the last day your groupon was valid for. We did inform you if wished to book again in the next few days we would honor the groupon. But we were no in a position to make a 3 month extension as had requested.