“Rude service, cancelled on us, won't honor promotional value for another date”

A Paddle in the Park
Ranked #2 of 4 Tours in Sidney
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea kayak day tours, multi day tours, lessons, rentals and mothership tours. Whether you're an experienced paddler or you've never been on the water before, we have the trip for you.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Like the others I bought a groupon and booked months ago. I called today, being Saturday, to confirm. They called me back tonight to say my tour on Monday is cancelled as there aren't enough people, oh, and as that happens to be the last day of the promotional value if we rebook for another time we will have to pay full rate! So they cancel on us with less than 36 hours notice with our only option being join tomorrow morning's group or lose the groupon promotional value! A heads up last week some time or even Friday night and I might have been able to do it, but seriously, finding out late in the evening for tomorrow morning, are you kidding me!! I don't know too many people with families who can rearrange things on a dime like that. Anyway, I wrote to Groupon so we will see what happens. I'm really pissed off. She was so rude and unapologetic about it, kind of surprised they are still in business.

1  Thank stephaniemanning
kayak_girls, Owner at A Paddle in the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

I apologies to anyone that has had a bad experience. The groupon conditions are very well stated and I would encourage you to consider if the conditions will work for your needs. As a part of the groupon deal, groupon provides the booking service through Groupon Scheduler. We set aside a side up 6 tour slots a day, Please read your groupon terms and conditions carefully!

We require 4 bookings to make the tour a go. You can book a tour up to 24 hours in advance and we can cancel a tour up to 24 hrs in advance. Less than 4 bookings and we will not be able to pay your tour guide.

Often this inconvenience has been caused by someone else canceling last minute, just before the 24 hr period, which requires us to reschedule the rest of the group.

I will also mention we have looked after over 500 groupon clients, and their feed back to groupon has been 92% positive that they would recommend us to a friend.

Frequently, if it is Melissa or I we will go above and beyond the groupon terms and conditions. When we can, to make it work we have frequently taken out tours with groups of less than 4 and we spend a great deal of time sorting out and combining tours together to get people out on tours.

As to the issue of rudeness, I am very sorry to hear you were left with that feeling. We take peoples concerns and complaints very seriously and also try to be very polite. Unfortunately, you had booked on the last day your groupon was valid for. We did inform you if wished to book again in the next few days we would honor the groupon. But we were no in a position to make a 3 month extension as had requested.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"blast"
"rocks"

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just a great time on the Ocean for some new Kayakers (us). The guide was a professional but what I really liked was that he let us venture wherever we wanted but kept an eye on us at all times. It was informative and fun. I would use them again.

Bob

2  Thank Robert U
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had a Groupon and it was honoured, no problem...even without the Groupon, this is an awesome experience and well worth it. Full instruction and equipment were provided and Melissa gave us a guided tour along the coast line pointing out wildlife along the way...for a full four hours.
Definitely a west coast experience!
Note...it is better to book on line.

1  Thank BlsckSapphire
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful time on our kayak outing. Marcus and Renata were outstanding as guides, very personable and helpful. They made it a safe, fantastic experience. I have used this company before, and will again, as it is convenient, and the sights were awesome. The equipment needed better maintenance, as several kayaks needed work on their cables. (No fault of the guides!)

As for the Groupon, the owner was not friendly nor particularly accommodating about it, but this has been my experience with other companies with Groupon as well. Which makes one wonder why they participate in the Groupon program. It was difficult to find a time she would take our group of 3, I was worried she would not honour the Groupon at all.

1  Thank Genie65
See more reviews
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Was not pleasant on the phone and when I mentioned I had a Groupon coupon to use they were suddenly all booked up this weekend. She was quite blunt and not very friendly.

2  Thank Fiwd

I am sorry you had this experience. The long weekend was in fact fully booked up, and groupon or not, we were not able to accommodate any more people. Groupon or not, we do bookings on a first come, first service basis. But I do hope we were able to accommodate you and that you later had a good experience on the water.