“Not interested in honoring their Groupon.”

A Paddle in the Park Kayaking
Ranked #2 of 4 Tours in Sidney
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak rental tour gulf island Victoria bc Vancouver island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not interested in honoring their Groupon.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Was not pleasant on the phone and when I mentioned I had a Groupon coupon to use they were suddenly all booked up this weekend. She was quite blunt and not very friendly.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Fiwd
kayak_girls, Owner at A Paddle in the Park Kayaking, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
I am sorry you had this experience. The long weekend was in fact fully booked up, and groupon or not, we were not able to accommodate any more people. Groupon or not, we do bookings on a first come, first service basis. But I do hope we were able to accommodate you and that you later had a good experience on the water.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great experience kayaking on a beautiful day!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the Groupon for the 2 hour kayak tour. She had never been kayaking before and I had not been in several years so we were both beginners. Marcus was great at getting us and the rest of the group fitted into kayaks despite a couple of special requirements (one group wanting a double and my girlfriend being really short). The guide did a great job of explaining the basics of maneuvering the kayaks and we had a great time paddling around the coast line and saw some wildlife. There were a lot of boats out but Marcus was great at timing everything around them. The tour was a lot of fun and I'd love to come back and do a longer one.

Other notes:
They had water available for filling up my water bottle and dry bags for stuff like keys. Some other reviewers noted that it's hard to find but the website and Groupon listed them as being on "Dock A" which is pretty easy to find with even a rudimentary understanding of the alphabet.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Ryan L
Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My family and I had a very similar experience to the two reviews below. We too purchased 3 groupons for my mom's 65th birthday. We were sent an email with well less than 24 hours notice stating that the tour had been cancelled, due to lack of people (they needed 4 to go out and we had 3). We received the same "no apology" and "everyone who buys from groupon would not pay full price anyways for the service" from the owner! This was actually out first time using groupon. She was insulting, unapologetic and stated that although we are supposed to give her 24 hours notice, she did not have to extend the same courtesy to us. We are starting to think their groupon is a bit of a scam, as it seems that they will never to able to book a group of 4 people at the same time and the groupon expires after 3 months! Needless to say, we called groupon and got out money back as they agreed that the 24 hour cancellation goes both ways. Perhaps this company should not have created a groupon to begin worth, as clearly from the other posts, they are unable (or unwilling) to accomodate their bookings. In the end, the owner of this business was unapologetic and unsympathetic, despite being confronted with the fact that she was in breach of the 24 cancellation term of her contract with groupon, a fact which groupon acknowledged.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Pheobe L
I apologies for your negative experience. We do stand behind the 24 hr cancellation period. But I am glad to hear that those who have had a negative experience have been able to get a full refund from groupon. Groupon tour users have up to 24hrs to cancel. Once we receive a cancellation, if the tour has dropped below 4 people, we then proceed to cancel the tour. If it is myself, or Melissa, we will go above and beyond, and often take out the tour anyways. But we do need four bookings to be able to pay our guide.

The tour is cancelled through the groupon booking system. As a follow up we will try and text and, or phone to let you know that the tour is cancelled. The text/phone call is not required, but we do this as an added courtesy knowing that not everyone reads their emails on a regular basis. This 'second' notification is sometimes less than 24hrs, but for the most part we have found people appreciate our additional attempt to contact them.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bad attitude, terrible location and signage”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Like Fred S, I purchased a Groupon and scheduled an appointment. After spending 20 minutes finding the poorly signed merchant location, we arrived with no one there to greet us. After calling the phone number on the Groupon, the merchant said that the trip had been cancelled. She didn't make any effort to notify us. After blaming Groupon for failing to notify us, she agreed to come and said she would let us rent the kayaks instead of go on the tour. When she finally arrived, she was rude, impatient and seemed very unhappy to be there.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Doug C

Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Terrible service and attitude”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Purchased a Groupon deal to check this out as my company has many visitors from out of town throughout the year - thought it would be a great way to regularly get people out to see nature and have a kayaking experience. Got the deal and called the number given to register a date and time for a tour - the staff wouldn't deal with it on the phone - said I had to do it all online (despite invitation to book by phone) - it was inconvenient but managed to do it. Received two automated reminders for the Friday 1PM booking that also emphasized 24 hour cancellation policy. 930pm the night before got a TEXT (are you kidding me?) from Melissa saying that there were only two of us booked when 4 were needed so the next day was cancelled. I texted back explaining the inconvenience and received this reply "You are getting a deep discount the only way it works is a minimum of 4 people on the tour. You can rebook another time". I guess I was feeling too entitled to a great service experience when I'd paid too little for it to justify a call or even an apology. Thankfully, Groupon agreed that the 24 hour cancellation policy should work both ways - I got the refund, but this business just lost thousands of future dollars had we been happy with the experience. Pesonally, I can't abide laziness and poor customer service, but having a booked appointment cancelled by text at the last minute and without apology is a first. I'll not inconvenience them again.

Visited April 2013