“What happened here?”

Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We visited for lunch today and won't be returning. We ordered the basic halibut & chips and it arrived very quickly, too quickly as I immediately noticed that the chips were not cooked & one bite confirmed this and way too salty. I scooped up my basket & my partners too and returned them to the counter where no fewer than 4 servers and an owner/manager? were hanging out. I told them the chips were raw and very salty and handed them back over. Nothing was said then and I returned to my seat. A server came over and apologized and said while they cooked some more for us she would return with our fish. Okay, I guess we are having fish, then chips today I remarked to my partner. She returned with our lone hailbut and some gummy tartar sauce, We were 3/4 of the way through by the time the chips came, they looked browner and crispier, but another taste confirmed they were not cooked properly. Our server at least came back to inquire this time and I told her they still weren't right. Mind you we have eaten here maybe once every couple of months for 5 years. She said oh, please try the wedge fries then, they are better and my favourite. Better? they can't get a basic chip right and I should try a thicker cut one, anyway she won me over and I said yes. By then my partner was too hungry to part w/ his and just wanted to eat something at least semi=cooked. So she took my basket away again, I finished my halibut, which was small but passable, although my partner confided in me later that he was sure his was cod, not halibut, but was too hungry to complain. Finally the wedge fries come and they were cooked a bit better, fluffier, not mealy this time. Although as I ate I realized they did not return my portion of coleslaw, I remarked on this to the server who came to collect our baskets and I think I got an oh, but no offer of what I would be paying for or something off the bill. As we left and paid our bill I looked around for the owner/manager to have a word, but the open kitchen was deserted and also pretty dirty too. Must be a change of ownership/management as we have never had a bad an experience there before. There were warning signs I realized later - very damaged menus, masking tape over the coffee selection, masking tape over the beer choices, so no more beer & wine license I guess.
Will look for our fish & chip fix elsewhere when we visit Sidney, BC in the future.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

The place is always busy so that should tell you something about how well it is liked. This is not high quality dining but Fish on Fifth offers good quality food at reasonable prices. You can choose fried or baked fish, so a lower fat option is available. Lots of salads, and the yam fries are delicious. The servers are young locals and they are cheerful and move as quickly as they can given how crowded the place often is. Get ther early because the line-up goes right out the door in the summer.

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Although it was 1pm on a Friday, the place was quite busy. Nobody was available to greet us, so we seated ourselves out on the deck. A server showed up 10 minutes later, nicely apologized for the delay, and then took our order. He quickly brought us two glasses of water, but our food took a full 37 minutes more to arrive (by which time the place was nearly empty). My wife had ordered the two-piece fish & chips with cajun flavouring, but when her order arrived it was the one-piece cooked plain; the server went inside and then brought out a small bowl of cajun spice saying the cook suggested we spice it up ourselves; 10 minutes later the second piece of fish arrived; plain, instead of cajun.

1  Thank SuperDave47
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stopped in for a quick lunch with my kids.Enjoyed sitting outside in the patio and had delicious fish & chips. The cajun style was esp. good. Hot inside but nice outside.
Friendly and fast service, good prices and location.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

If you are coming to or through Syndey turn at the Macdonalds(Beacon Ave) and go around 3 or 4 lights and turn left onto 5th I think it is the second building. I had 2 pieces of halibut along with yam fries, WHAT A TREAT!($18) single order price below. Young ladies who work there are all very pleasant and give great service. It is a little bit pricy for a fish and chip shop but I guess if you can make it that good then you won't have trouble findng customers. I am heading back for lunch tomorrow to try the salmon and chips. I was there at 2 pm and it was packed. I will tell all of our bnb guests who stay with us that they have to stop here, no doubt. Decor kind of reminds me of fish and chips shops growing up. The owners I had heard own a few restaurants in town so if you are staying any length of time I would find out where they are and try them also.