“forgettable fish and chips”

Beacon Landing Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #17 of 88 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2014

-lovely view, but our lunch was so-so -- fish was ok, but chips were limp and greasy -- our lunch a few days later at Flynn's up-island at Mill Bay was so much better!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is one of our goto places in Sidney, The lounge is great for meals and drinks as is the dining room excellent food and a unbeatable view of the pier and ocean.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Location is awesome and the Food is quite good but be prepared to pay high prices! Everything on the menu is really expensive.

We have been there several times and often have taken visitors there due to the location and selection on the menu, but we have never had really good service.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I decided to stop in tonight for a bit to eat. We had previously been here about a year and a half ago and found it really good.

When we first walked it we were greeted right away by a server and advised we could sit anywhere we wanted. There were a few empty tables by the window so we decided to enjoy the lights and the water.

We ordered nachos to share. After quite a wait considering the place was not that busy and nachos do not take that long to prepare, they finally arrived. Before they were even put down in front of us we could tell something was wrong with them. It looked like there was no toppings on them at all (including cheese). I went to pick up a chip, only to realize that there were no toppings that we could see because they were burnt. We thought all the nacho chips were dark in colour but they weren't. I had tried a chip, just to be sure and almost had to spit it out. The taste was horrible. How this plate of food was able to leave the kitchen without anyone noticing was shocking.

For the first time in 20 years, we sent the nachos back to the kitchen. We were told that a new order would be up shortly. During another long wait for a new plate, at no time did our waitress stop by and ask if we wanted another drink. A new plate of nachos arrived. The second plate was not burnt but definitely not what I expect from a plate of nachos.

I was surprised that there was no real apology from our waitress or manager regarding the burnt food. The waitress' comment to us was that she was glad we like them this time. I found the comment rather odd considering that I didn't think there is anyone who prefers burnt food. When our bill arrived I was also surprised to note that there was no discount taken off of our bill for the substandard food and horrible service we just experienced.

We will definitely not be back to this establishment. There are a lot better places out there to go.

1  Thank Westcoastgirl2012
Reviewed February 6, 2014

So the first thing to note is that the food in the Beacon Landing Pub comes out of the same kitchen as that in Beacon Landing Restaurant - they're the same place, notwithstanding the reviews that imply differently.

The second thing is that we were there on a slow night, so our service (which was prompt and courteous) may not be typical.

Third, this is basically a pub, so the food has to be regarded in that light. So it's a little pedestrian, not especially creative, and heavy-handed in some items like the slightly doughy pizzas. But what we had stacks up fine against pubs.

We went here because were staying at the Sidney Waterfront on the same property. I would do so again, but if I stayed closer to another restaurant, I wouldn't make a special effort to go to Beacon Landing.