“I wish I'd read the other reviews here before I booked!”

Orchard House Bed & Breakfast
and 1 more site!
Orchard House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 8 Sidney B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Booked on basis of reviews on booking website, which were less informative. Excellent location for downtown Sidney and transport. Pleasant looking house and garden.
Room was small and as observed by others had strange smell, along with rest of house. Decoration matched house, but wallpaper should have been renewed years ago as it is stained and discoloured generally. Nowhere to hang clothes as cupboard had fridge in it. No means of making any drinks for guests in room or elsewhere.
Breakfast whilst home cooked was at set time, no choice of menu, cereal only as option if still hungry (we were told this on 3rd morning), toast and coffee limited to what was made, which was minimal as has been said before.
There was no guest sitting area apart from outside. We stayed 4 nights, bathroom was not cleaned, nor was bin emptied. Bedroom not cleaned either, but too small to do much with our bags in it.
We got used to planes passing window, or so it seemed, but could only open one window with a wooden wedge, same in bathroom.
This b&b might well have been good in it's heyday, but guests seem to be a bit of an intrusion now and we definitely felt as though we encroaching on the host's private home and should probably not return during the day. Even his partner now works in another b&b!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or don't expect too much as it is a good price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jean Q

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were thoroughly disappointed and definitely surprised with this B & B. Normal care to attention & hospitality were sadly missing. Our room had a peculiar smell as if it had not been aired or cleaned in some time as did the rest of the inside of the home. Bedding & towels were not crisp or fresh. The bathroom had no supplies ie shampoo or nice soaps. For ventilation, we even had to prop open a window. Our bedroom door did not have an exterior lock leaving your items unsecure. Breakfast was a very limited menu with no choices or normal condiments such as salt or butter for your toast- this definitely reflected our host’s wishes. No tv in room for relaxation very lacking.Helpful info ie tightness of ferries schedules was lacking as well. Overall, this is one stop that you can afford to miss.

Room Tip: Also noteworthy this location has noise from aircraft departing directly overhead. This is difficul...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HLafontaine
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was my first B & B experience and I was pretty impressed. The room was quaint. Of course with being close to the airport you did hear the planes fly over head. But I did think that was cool. It was a quick walk to grocery, the ocean, close to Ferries and the airport which was what I was looking for.

The breakfast was smaller compared to eating out but for me it was the perfect size.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank KWEdmonton
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I always like to come back to the Orchard House in Sidney. I visited this place first in 1993 and since that time I come back every year. I like the old heritage house and the friendly host Gaye and Gerry. Every day a great breakfast is served with fesh cooked muffins and special egg dishes. Gerry is a real good entertainer and is well informed about everything that is happening in Sidney and its environs. There is no need to read the newpaper since Gerry will let you know what is going on Vancouver Island. No better place to stay on Vancouer Island.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We love to stay at B&B Orchard House, which is for us like being at home, perfect breakfast, always a pleasure to stay there !!! Kitchenet and fridge available, next shooping / supermarket only 5 min by feet. Very close to the seaside, excellent for a short walk. Gerry and Gaye try to arrange everything you need, help where they can. Of course, we will be back at Orchard House for our next visit to Vancouver Island.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Never left a bad review before but in case you'll get depressed as we are now...we'd love to share our horrible experience at this Orchard House in Sidney and help other possible victims:

Worst B&B experience ever, totally ruined our good holiday mood and great impression on B&B gained from our previous B&B experiences based on 10+ B&Bs in Europe and North America...:

1. Smelly room with poorest facilities (we stupidly picked it for the fake beautiful photos but the only experience there is hard to breathe and the floor is dirty; there's even no sockets in the room to recharge our camera battery; the door is hard to lock&open so you may very possibly get locked out if you return late;you'll knock your teeth loose easily if you're taller than 170cm when walk in/out the door) if you're given a basement suite (which they forced us to accept it and cheating it's more valuable). We had to accept only because we can hardly breathe in the "beautiful-pictured) room and we got 4 ppl...and never expect this so totally no preparation for another option and it's late

2. Worst host ever met (not even a word like welcome, just remind us repeatedly the rules to use this place...feeling we're not treated as guests but criminals; endless nonsense chatting (not even know standing up to greet us but sitting there like a boss during the long time-wasting chatting), such a big waste of our precious time on the island....

3. very tiny amount of breakfast and worst coffee ever drinks in my life...after the breakfast we rushed to Starbucks to comfort&fill our stomach

And last but not the least: you'll enjoy the loud noise from planes passing by from time to time when you're indulged in the smell

And you might be interested to know that we're not the only one got the bad feeling....we can see the dissatisfaction of another guest in the same house.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank christine_am87
oldorchardhouse, Owner at Orchard House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

We are a classic heritage house and have been in business for over 20 years with many repeat happy guests. In order to accommodate this couple who arrived late in the evening when are two regular B&B rooms were full we provided alternate accommodation which we no longer offer. We are known for our hospitality. We appreciate these guests comments and have made improvements where necessary and possible. Gerry is delighted to welcome new guests offering suggestions as to restaurants and other local attractions...he is also a knowledgeable Penninsula realtor. Most guests are delighted with the healthy breakfast
which includes a fruit compote, egg dish with toast and fresh, home made baking and delicious coffee.

Reviewed July 13, 2008

The Orchard House is only 3 blocks from the main street in Sidney, a short walk to a very nice downtown area. It is an older house with lots of charm and very reasonable rates.

We stayed in the Duck Room, which was, well ... "Ducky" ... with duck odds and ends here and there, including a cute stuffed duck between our pillows. The room was interesting and clean. The toilet, shower, and wash basin were all separated. The toilet and shower were in small rooms that may have been closets at one time. The wash basin was in the bedroom. This was okay with us as it seemed to fit this 1914 house. But, the bed slumped in the middle, which was not okay. The age of the house should not have affected the quality of the bed. Also, there was room for only one open suitcase. My wife used a chair for her suitcase. Fortunately, we pack light, with only a travel-on suitcase each.

Breakfast. Well, breakfast is a big deal at a B & B. At this B & B it was indicative of the attitude of the host owners. To begin with our hosts announced that breakfast would be at 8:00. This did not work for us as our traveling partners needed to leave by 8 a.m. to meet their transportation. With some reluctance and also some complaining, we got breakfast at 7:30.

Picture this. I sat down at breakfast (in a very nice room with attractive place and table settings) to the tiniest little fruit bowl I have ever seen. It was no more than one inch in diameter, just enough to hold 2 raspberries and 3 blueberries. Along side it was the smallest glass of orange juice I have ever seen—a 4 ounce glass, half full—which was immediately whisked away by the hostess after I drank my two sips, without asking whether I wanted more. Since I don't eat eggs, I had asked for a substitute. No problem, said the host. I then got one of the smallest bowls of granola I have ever seen, with just enough granola for 4 raisins. At this point, I figured I had a total of eleven (11) calories. Good for my waist line, but not what I was looking for. My wife said her tiny little folded over portion of an egg was generally without flavor. She also was served 1/2 slice of toast. We did have home made blueberry muffins, however, which were pretty good.

The breakfast was indicative of much of the service we got at the B & B. No tea or coffee, no cookies, no "welcome" into the (cozy) living room, none of the items that indicate that the operators are glad to have us as their guests. Not only that, but the host indicated to one member in our party that they lost money when they had only two guests, and they probably should not have taken in anyone at all. This might be the reason for their somewhat tightwad approach. All of us in our party felt more like unwelcome interlopers into the lives of Gerry and Gaye, rather than like welcome guests. We were happy to leave.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank lobo59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
The Cedarwood Inn and Suites
Swartz Bay Farm Bed & Breakfast
Swartz Bay Farm Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 6 in North Saanich
The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
Sidney Waterfront Inn & Suites
Travelodge Victoria Airport
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel

Been to Orchard House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!