“Good value for the dollar, but beware the thin walls!”

Mountain Retreat Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Squamish
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This review is all about one restless night we owe to the Best Western's thin walls and two loud neighbors, but I want to start with some basics.

If you're looking for an affordable place to stay relatively close to Whistler, the price is right. The hotel is great for families - it's pet-friendly (I saw three dogs in just a few quick trips from car to room and back), and there's a pool with a water slide for the kids. The rooms are really roomy, and most importantly - their pillows aren't completely flattened like most of the pillows I've experienced in hotels in this price range. There's a fair amount of covered parking, which is a necessity in this neck of the (very wet) woods. There's reliable free wi-fi. On the down side, one of the two elevators was broken when we were there, and the only staircase to the second floor leads from the outside of the building and is locked, which meant it sometimes took forever to get up to our room.

Another family-friendly feature has a major drawback: some of the rooms are adjoined to each other by two matching doors. Unfortunately, those doors don't muffle sound very well. By which I mean "at all." They may even amplify it, as we were to find out.

We came back from dinner after a very long day - we'd left home at 4:30am to hit Whistler around opening, we'd skied all day, and we'd driven back up to Whistler from Squamish to retrieve a ski pole from the parking lot and grab dinner. We hit the bed exhausted.

I don't know when our neighbors happened to come back to the hotel, because we were already asleep. What I do know is that around 1:30 in the morning, they decided to get amorous. Nothing wrong with that - kudos, guys, and normally I'd be really happy for you that you were enjoying each other's company.

Unfortunately, our neighbors evidently learned to express themselves romantically by consuming a steady diet of the standard commercial output of our domestic adult cinematographic industry.

We were awoken by repeated, energetic (and utterly unconvincing) screams of "Oh!" from the female half of the adjoining room punctuated by the occasional "---- me! ---- me!" I felt bad for her - she sounded a bit like someone leading a workout class. "You can do it! Way to go! Keep it up!" Kids, pay heed - this is the real danger of the kinds of films she had undoubtedly watched too many of. As people's expectations get influenced by the mannerisms of their favorite actors and actresses, they might wind up playing a role during what should be a powerfully personal moment between two people (or three or more people - I'm not here to judge, I'm here to write a hotel review). I can only assume she was saying what she thought her male counterpart wanted to hear. And we were unconsenting ear witnesses to her performance.

That really is the point here - we could hear every interjection. Sound carries in this hotel.

When we got in even later (and even more tired) the next day after a seven-hour epic drive over a snarled Sea to Sky Highway, we inquired at the front desk as to whether the neighboring room was still occupied by the same people. It was. We explained that they'd been really disruptive in the middle of the night, and the front desk graciously asked us to let them know if we should experience the same problem again. Thankfully, we didn't, so maybe the front desk said something. Or maybe our neighbors had sat through the same hellish traffic we had and didn't have it in them to put on a repeat performance.

In any case, if they should happen to read this, I want you to know this: your little show wasn't impressive - it was inconsiderate in the extreme. If you did it for the gratification of knowing people could hear, well then that's just abusive...and unsuccessful - we found it as pathetic as it was annoying and simply did our best to ignore it and go back to sleep. Finally, I have a message for you. It's one you should recognize: "---- YOU!"

The hotel was fine in most other regards and responded reasonably to the noise concerns, so despite the thin walls, I give it a solid three-star rating.

Room Tip: If at all possible, get a room as far from all the other guests as you can.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kapalitoff

Reviewed February 10, 2014

was not to happy to find out that when I took my family on a quiet little day vacation that the hotel I would be staying at would be also the home to the local hockey tournament well my kids didn't even see the pool as the hockey team took over then you can hear your neighbours clear as day and the noise upstairs till 2:00 your neighbours waking up at 6:00 so if you don't mind having no sleep and nothing to do this place is for you. research it before you stay cause they didn't say a word. and there was no towels for the swimming pool:(

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

The bed was comfy, the continental breakfast was good with eggs and omelets, dry cereal, hit oatmeal (try the peaches and cream); there is plenty of parking; front, back and under cover.
The service in the breakfast room was exceptional because of the girl, Wendy, serving you.
The whirlpool, pool and waterslide looked inviting but I didn't have time to use them.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I suddenly found myself needing a room in Squamish and did a quick search on hotels.com and low and behold, a room at Best Western for $75.00! I literally booked the room within six hours of needing it and it all worked out fine.

I was a bit worried that when I arrived that there would be a glitch with our booking. No glitches, when I arrived my reservation was there and all ready to go.

The front desk staff was great! I was asked for a credit card (which I don't have) for "incidentals" but instead they took a $50 deposit on the room. Thank you for making it simple!

Now to the room: I don't see many hotels at this price range that are so nice! The beds (two queens) seems to have too many pillows (I'm kidding, too many pillows is good), the sheets were amazingly soft and fresh, the TV was a decent 32" LCD (though not quite enough channels, and a wall mount that let's you change the angle would be nice). The bathroom was top notch, very nice decor and amenities. Looking out the window, well.... mountains, very NICE mountains! Also included were a fridge, microwave and of course a mini coffee maker.

The only drawback was traffic noise on the highway, but that's to be expected since this hotel is on a highway, duh. I'm fine with that as it actually puts me to sleep (white noise), but if you're not, ask for a room on the west side.

Enjoyed this stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Suuuuper clean hotel. Safe parking, swimming pool. Quiet room. Fridge and microwave in the room. Concierge Magali was very helpful.
There is adjacent restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. "Sushi Sen" are 5 minutes drive North for a nice dinner.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank onnekas99
Reviewed January 17, 2014

just because a hotel says it offer something, don't take it for granted that it is availble. Pool, waterslide, hot tub, automated door and movie services were all out of order when we arrived. Make sure to ask staff if anything is out of service before booking with BW.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank John T
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Awesome place to stay close to Whistler for a fraction of the cost. beautiful place in an amazing town! If your on a budget and needing to get away this is the perfect place to spend your night and have dinner at their great restaurant!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo