“Bed Bugs As Well”

Days Inn Terrace
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Terrace
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I just read Sandie's review saying she found a bed bug on her childs diaper I felt the need to also put my review in. I also stayed in the hotel in November, 2013 and found a bed bug in my bed. The Staff and manager were terrible and inept at dealing with the issue. They moved me into another room and told me they wouldn't charge me for leaving my stuff in the room that had the bed bugs - they wouldn't rent it out for the night. (wow!) Of course I left my stuff in the room to ensure that I wouldn't contaminate the other room or my vehicle. They gave me no confidence that the problem would be taken care of. I will never stay here again. They gave me 50% off the room rate but did not pay for cleaning of my bags or clothing. My son had his hockey gear on the floor. I had to take it to the Laundromat and put it in the dryer and spray everything to feel that we weren't bringing bugs home. Huge inconvenience. Manager told me it was only one bug and I didn't need to worry that my bags had any bugs. AGH! So gross.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cori S
amin s, General Manager at Days Inn Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
we appreciate the fact that you have spent your valuable time to give us your feedback. We would definitely like to address all the reviews with respect to the beg bug issue that is being raised in an appropriate manner.
The issue of bugs (not specific to bed bugs) is a common issue around the world with all accommodation facilities. We are going in a procedural way to address the issue right at its roots. In doing so, we hired an expert in the industry. Their findings did not reveal any existence of bed bugs, its faeces or eggs. While this being the scenario, we have brought the experts in at several occasions for scheduled inspection of the hotel and nothing was found.
It is a very likely possibility that the bugs (acclaimed to be bed bugs) could very well be brought in by the traffic of guests, employees and visitors there by ruling out the inhibition of bugs in the hotel.
The management of the hotel has decided to upload the documentation of bed bug certification from a reputed organization in the market in order to imbibe confidence amongst our guests and the community.
It would be much appreciated if you could send us further details on your stay for us to investigate further into the issue and resolve the issue to your at most satisfaction.

Warm Regards,
The Management

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stay at the Inn of the west each time I come to Terrace and have never really had a problem. Friendly staff—they know I’m a regular and always say hi and ask how I’m doing which is always nice.
If I have any problems at all, I call the reception right away and let them know.
The wireless connection was very patchy and when I mentioned it to the front desk- they looked into it right away.I switched to a room with better Wifi because I needed it for work purposes, so they ended up putting me on the 2nd floor and had way better WiFi.
They also have a hot breakfast, not like your usual cereal and Danish at other hotels with “breakfast included”, eggs, sausages, bacon, waffles, pastries, coffee, etc etc. There was also new coffee shop that opened up in the hotel the last time i was there, which is good if you dont want to go down the street for timmies.

Carpets were being cleaned on my last stay (I know because my usual room was being done at the time), talking to the front desk person they said that it was under new management and they were making several improvements to the rooms and hotel in general, which is good. Great location (on the main street), walking distance to almost anything you need..
Ask for a room on the 2nd or 4th floor, better wifi/location.

Room Tip: I like the 2nd and 4th floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Matt W
HameedKhan, Manager at Days Inn Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

It was nice to read that our location, room Cleanliness and breakfast met your expectations.

Indeed the new management is trying to improve the product and will certainly renovate some of the areas which needs attention.

We look forward to welcoming you, your family and friend to our hotel in the near future with a new and upgraded product.

Sincerely yours
Operations Manager

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I agree. With all other posts about maintenance etc. I stayed 5nights, checked the bed very closely for bed bugs and found no sign. While cleaning up to check out i found a bed bug on my 2 year old's pamper after she had been near the tv area. I brought the bug downstairs to the front desk, told them I was upset and requested help having my bags cleaned so I didn't bring bed bugs home. After waiting over an hour to hear back from the manager I went back downstairs and was informed that all they would do is take 50% off my last night's stay, no help cleaning bags. I said I was unhappy with that and threatened to warn other guests in the hotel what I found and how unhelpful the staff was. The manager then suggested that I must have brought the bed bug in since I had found it just prior to checking out. This, of course made me extremely angry and I told him I was going to tell other guests because I wish someone had told me. For that, they called the cops on me. Bottom line, I was polite and patient for over 2 hours waiting for them, when I became angry over the lack of assistance ensuring I don't bring bed bugs home they accused me of bringing it in and called the cops!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Sandie H
HameedKhan, Manager at Days Inn Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel. As you know the hotel is in one of several stages of renovations and in light of your Bed Bug experience; we immediately called Gerry from Orkin to inspect the room thoroughly and did not find anything (Follow Up Report is on file stating that).

Like you mentioned above; you “checked the bed very closely for bed bugs and found no sign”, Orkin did not find anything at all. They had also explained to us that it is ILLEGAL to fumigate as there were no evidence of Bed Bugs at all (No bed bugs in bed creases, no fecal matter, no active bugs or egg sacks). We would be more than happy to show you the follow up report upon request.

During your 5 day stay with us, you never found a bed bug until the last day at the scheduled check out date and immediately demanded a full refund. We did promise you that we would investigate the situation and if there was a bed bug found in the room, that we would refund the amount. As a good gesture we refunded you one night and promised you to do more in case we found any sing of bed bug. You did not accept that and chose to knocking the doors of our in house guests, we had no other options left but to call cops. You put slanderous information on Trip Adviser right away, which severely damaged our image. We are looking into taking legal steps and definitely will be in contact with you.

Operations Manager

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel needs some maintenance -- walking down the hallway you could feel the unevenness underneath the carpet. The rooms need painting and smell like 30 years of cigarette smoking. In the room I had, the window wouldn't lock, and the safety chain was missing. But the bed was comfortable, and I asked for and received a quiet room, and slept well. Just woke up to the cigarette smoke smell! Bring your own shampoo as soap is the only thing that is supplied. The staff were pleasant and helpful -- especially the breakfast person, who went out of his way to make sure that everyone was taken care of and had a good breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is merely adequate. No signs of bed bugs. The sheets were clean. The front desk clerk was polite. To surpass adequate and make it to good, this place would need a major upgrade.

wifi: poor signal. on and off. and mostly off.

room cleanliness: beer caps on the floor under the bed. strands of hair (definitely not mine) found in the tub and bathroom area. grungy telephone book and other guides in drawers. dirty bedspread (but no surprise as most hotels do not change the spreads unless visibly soiled- but this was dirty- however, the staff brought new clean blankets for me to replace the cover) funky smell in the hallway and room that no amount of febreze would fix.

peace and quiet: poor. it was clear that this hotel was not for honeymooners or librarians. loud party noise including running up and down hallway (both the guests and their 'lady' friends who wore their high heels/cfm boots).

The price was fine. While some of the guests were clearly working fellows who may be entertained by working girls, this hotel is perfectly reasonable for a few nights stay. I did not dine at the restaurant, but it is available. Have definitely stayed in worse accommodations. I would recommend this hotel to those who are looking for a budget friendly and centrally located hotel. However, I would have chosen the Best Western, given their reviews and website.

Book well in advance of any stay in Terrace. And believe the reviews for this hotel. They are pretty accurate.

Room Tip: no matter what room you choose, bring a white noise/sleep machine with you. block out the noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Trvlr588
Reviewed October 18, 2013

There was a gas leak. So that sucked.

The wifi did not work. When I called the front desk, they said the Internet was down across Terrace. Skeptical, I called two different hotels. Both had Internet and laughed when I told them what the Inn of the West staff told me.

The room was not ready at the check-in time.

Room was dirty and extremely dated.

I could go on...don't stay here, folks.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JerH_12
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

As per I view here I thought it's coast but it's not anymore.well as per overview was good.room carpet and tv looks doesn't change since they opened.but a part of that make my day because of breakfast.I am traveling always and had lots of place breakfast.but there they got best.was such creative chef and serve all in one man.well if I got another chance to visit sure I will start my day from him.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank junjunthomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terrace
Comfort Inn & Suites Terrace
#2 of 9 in Terrace
Bear Country Inn
Bear Country Inn
#5 of 9 in Terrace

Been to Days Inn Terrace? Share your experiences!