“Old-fashioned menu will appeal to some”

Clansman Motel Dining Room
Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in North Sydney
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Clansman restaurant is part of a small hotel in the town of North Sydney, which likely gets lots of business from people travelling to or from Newfoundland. The restaurant is old-fashioned in terms of decor and menu. I've eaten there twice recently, and last time with three family members.

The liver and onions is a consistent favorite at the restaurant, as are fish and chips. While I'm not a giant fan of either dish, dining companions said many good things about both dishes. On one occasion, my striploin steak was delivered medium-well, rather than medium-rare. A disappointment. On the other occasion, I ordered the turkey dinner, which was what you'd expect of a turkey dinner - some white meat, some dark, turnip, stuffing, potatos, and cranberry sauce. One note about the cranberry sauce -- please, don't give people canned cranberry sauce at a restaurant. Make it.

Service is friendly and timed well -- especially so, if you eat with regulars.

Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The Clansman dining room has provided consistently good breakfasts for a number of years; this time was no exception. Pan fries, eggs & bacon all done just right, not greasy like some motel restuarants. Try it if you enjoy your early morning b & e with great tasting coffee.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I had dined here a few years ago and had the best steak sandwich ever. Sadly when I returned this time the sandwich was not on the menu so I tried the fettucini alfredo with chicken. The price was reasonable enough but I now know why. The chicken was processed which you could plainly taste and was frozen in parts. The noodles were over cooked and the sauce tasted like Kraft Dinner cheese except it was white. The best part of the meal was the garlic bread. The waitress was attentive at first but then seemed to forget us entirely , paying was difficult as we were told to go to three different places to pay our bill and had to come back to get the waitress who forgot to give us our slip so that the front desk could ring us through. :(

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Typical hotel restaurant, good food but nothing to rave about. Most of the staff are very friendly and provide good service. Typically though, there are not enough servers on per shift and you end up being neglected during most of your meal.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Friendly service, good selection, good food, well priced.