“Books and Covers: Never Judge”
Review of black spoon bistro

black spoon bistro
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in North Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This has a variety of food and we ate there once while in town. The food is good and the service great.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Living in Mayfair, Central London I have access to some of the world's finest restaurants, so I wasn't expecting much in this dark little establishment off the beaten track in Eastern Nova Scotia. I was deeply skeptical and nearly lost my nerve whilst waiting for a table. To be honest the place doesn't look like much, but amazingly, my skepticism was hugely misplaced. This is, by and large, a lunch time place but what terrific fresh food. The soups are great and the salads imaginative. The chowder was light and full of seafood. No stodge there. Try the fantastic maple and balsamic salad dressing. First class. I had their "trio" of salad, soup and sandwich for $9.99. A steal. The desserts were a little too decorative for me, nonetheless, I wish it were my "local" in London so I could visit regularity. Well done Chef.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had an excellent meal at a reasonable price here. The staff are friendly and attentive and the service was great. The atmosphere and ambiance of this restaurant were fabulous.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

While waiting (got there early) for the ferry to Newfoundland, we picked up on this place through other travel web sites and WHAM............what a surprise. This was probably the best meal we had in two weeks in Canada Maritimes! This "hole in the wall" spot was "spot on" in terms of service, food, dessert, ambiance, and we couldn't have been more pleased. We thought that at best, in North Sydney, we would find a quick place for dinner and wait a bit for the ferry, etc., but it turned out to be a foodie experience. The chef came out with almost every served entree, and we could see him and the sous chef preparing in the kitchen. Looked like something out of "Master Chef" on TV. Anyway, a great find, great dinner, and recommend with no hesitation at all.................

1  Thank Russell S
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Quick personalized service, attentive but not bothersome staff, and tasty, reasonably priced food. Additionally, the bartender knew how to make a proper gin martini, well played BSB, well played!

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The service was wonderful! The food presentation and flavour was incredible! The prices were far less than we expected for a fine dining experience. I had a cup of what I believe to be the worlds best seafood chowder, as well as Cajun Seafood which when I mentioned I wasn't a big fan of spicy food, out server jumped to offer for them to go lighter on the spicy and that I would barely notice. It was delicious!!
My husband raved about the Caesar salad, he also had the pan fried haddock, both which he said were so fresh and the haddock was perfectly cooked.
We will drive to Cape Breton again for these two reasons alone, Black Spoon Bistro and the Black Spoon B&B!

1  Thank Tilley1976