“Always marvelous”
Review of black spoon bistro

black spoon bistro
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in North Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This has a variety of food and we ate there once while in town. The food is good and the service great.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I live in Cape Breton and periiodically go to all the restaurants in Sydney and North Sydney. Over the years, I have found the Black Spoon consistently to be the best restaurant in the area by far. I like variety so I have tried all the restaurants. But I always come back to the Black Spoon. The food is excellent. I like sea food and I have found the haddock and salmon to be superb meals. Friends have tried the the maple curried chicken penne and grilled vegetable salad and have raved about them. Good prices and good service!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My fiance and I were travelling home to Nfld from Ontario this past weekend and our meal at The Black Spoon was by far the highlight of our journey. After the exhausting drive we were starving and initially wanted to eat at The Lobster Pound based on their reviews but thankfully they were full for the evening and we found The Black Spoon. The staff were super friendly and it was very evident that whatever we needed they could help. Wine, appetizer (lobster dip), meal (blackened seafood & lobster pot pie both with garlic mash and julienne vegetables), and lastly the dessert we shared (red velvet cheescake) were amazing, The chef came out from the kitchen throughout the evening visiting different tables ensuring that everything was satisfactory and we were left with a truly positive impression of this establishment all around, we will visit The Black Spoon again any time we pass through North Sydney.

1  Thank JetSetterGoGetter
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I visited with a friend for dessert and drinks on a weekday evening. I’d heard great things about the Black Spoon before and wanted to see for myself. I was able to sample a creamy chocolate martini, the Pavlova, and the chocolate hazelnut mousse cake.

The Black Spoon is a small restaurant half a block away from the Marine Atlantic ferry terminal. It features only 10 tables or so, and its black and white décor give it a simple yet posh feel. I would recommend dressing up a bit rather than down to eat here. Service was friendly, if a bit slow, but my friend and I were there to chat, so it worked. There’s not much of a waiting area inside the door, so I’d recommend trying to go in off-peak hours to avoid having to wait for a table. The women’s washroom is clean,well-equipped, and surprisingly large, definitely big enough to get a baby carriage or two in there comfortably, if you need that sort of space.

Excellent presentation for the dishes, they looked wonderful – see attached images (with apologies for the low quality). The Pavlova was something to savour – crisp meringue, rich sweet cream, and berries both adorning the surface and hidden in the whipped cream. (I want another one, just thinking about it!) It may have been a special, as it doesn't seem to be on their online menu. I don’t know to what extent the fruit selection varies, but there were strawberries, blueberries, and a ground cherry on mine, with a strawberry coulis. The chocolate hazelnut mousse cake was served with a chunk of hazelnut brittle, real whipped cream, a sliced strawberry, and chocolate shavings. While delicious, it was heavy, especially compared to the Pavlova, with a thick chocolate hazelnut crust and rich layer of fudge icing. I would suggest sharing these if finishing off a meal, as they’re both fairly large.

The drinks were alright, pretty standard fare. My martini was shaken with ice and felt slightly watered down because of it. It was garnished with chocolate shavings, and came with the food instead of before. I would like to see fancier coffees offered – they have B52s and such on the menu, but only Americano coffee, no espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, etc. I think such drinks fit their ambiance, would pair well with the dessert menu, and would be a boon to their business, so I hope to see these added to the menu in the future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Food was excellent. The portion size was ok. I did not have anything to drink half way through my meal and wanted a glass of wine. Nobody checked on us throughout the meal until it was finished. My husband also did not have anything to drink. When the waitress came at the end of the meal, he showed her that a mussel shell was in his lobster chowder. She apologized and said that the mussels are prepared beside the lobster and offered 25% off our bill. We were already upset because I had to eat a meal without anything left to drink and I wanted a glass of wine. My husband had been away for over 2 months and this was suppose to be a date night with the $25.00 gift certificate my sister gave us for Christmas . We just wanted to get out of there and forgot to use it. My husband signed up online as a customer and left feedback in the comment section and left contact information but nobody ever did. I would not recommend this restaurant. We did not tell my sister what happened and that her Christmas gift was a waste of money.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am from the local area and I've heard people say bad things about it; I had always wanted to try it and as such I was a little bit taken back. I don't usually take the reviews of other people, but when they're so many over a great period of time you sort of wonder if it's worth going.

I had put this off for sometime. I was looking through the menu and found myself a little lost, I'm normally just a burger and fries kind of guy and that's all I've grown up on to be honest with you. the waitress offered a friendly tip and asked if there is anything I could help with. I had the soup of hte day, which was a french onion soup, and WOW! it was amazing. I had the portabella mushroom burger(sticking to tradition). I enjoyed it, it was good.

I had fries along with it, I really enjoyed the whole meal and would recommend anyone who is thinking on going to this place to take a stop in, it's well worth the money and you will not be disappointed by the friendly staff, the helpful suggestions and the wonderful food which you will get.