“Consistently excellent fish & chips!”
Review of Shillelagh House Restaurant - CLOSED

Shillelagh House Restaurant
Nova Scotia
“Consistently excellent fish & chips!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I regularly make it a priority to stop here on our way to or from Halifax whenever we take the trans-Canada route. We have seldom been let down, even with a change in ownership. The portion sizes have shrunk a bit over the years, however they are still very good value for money and a one piece would fill up most people. Their fish always tastes fresh and their hand cut fries are top notch, Cole Slaw is great too and I often like some fried onions with my F & C ( I know.... very different!) and they never charge me extra for a small side order. Avoid the burger though as it is more like a meat loaf - but this place is after all known for fish & chips!

• Visited June 2012

Truro, Canada
“Disappointed in Take Out Service?”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I live locally and have been to The Shillelagh House many, many times. The fish and chips are, in my opinion, second only to the fish and chips at The Wild Caraway.
As a rule, I've had very good service at this restaurant, so I was a little mystified (and disappointed) with the service I received on Sunday, May 27, 2012. I stopped there on the way to my parents to pick up fish and chips to take to them. I ordered the "2 piece" to split between them because I'm familiar with the very generous portions they serve and knew the one order would be more than enough for both of them. I also ordered two pieces of their Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie to go with the fish and chips. The girl who took my order said it would be about 5 minutes, which I thought would be pretty good if they could do it in 5 minutes.
I got there a little after 4 o'clock and parked out front because I had the two grand-daughters in the car and could see them from inside. After I ordered, I slipped back out to the car and sat there for about 5 or 6 minutes and then went back inside. Since I have been there many times, I knew that when the order comes up, they have a window with two shelves that they place the order on. There was nothing there, so I went back to the car. Waited another 5 minutes and went back in, in the meantime, someone else showed up to pick up a phoned in order. I waited a couple of minutes and then put his order (2 boxes) on the bottom shelve and my order (1 box) on the top shelf. There were three girls working there and they weren't that busy, but none of them seemed to be in much of a hurry to get either order in to a bag?
Finally, they get to the other guys order, so I slip out to the car and wait for him to leave. Once he comes out, I go inside thinking mine would be in the bag and ready to go...nope, still sitting there and the three girls are all standing behind the counter doing nothing. After a couple more minutes, one of them decides to put my order in a bag and gives it to me. I have no idea what was gong on?
I'm not disappointed that I had to wait 20 minutes, as I don't think that is really an unreasonable amount of time to wait for a take out order. What really bothered me was that the food sat there for 5 minutes while they just stood around?
About the only thing I can think of is that you pay for the food when you place the order and I didn't add a tip to my credit card receipt? I'm in the habit of leaving a tip based on the service I receive, and how can I do that before I know if the service deserves a tip?

And, in this case, I did not leave a tip afterwards either.

• Visited May 2012
Lorne, NS
“Great Fish and Chips”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Excellent fresh fish and chips. I have eaten there with my wife a number of times and we are never disappointed.

Visited May 2012
Truro
“review”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is my fav fish & chip "joint" I love the food & every time my family comes home that is the first place they stop(even before they come here) love it

Truro NS
“Good Fish and chips”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

All the food iGreat place to eat. to very good.
Once served it is hard to gdet any additions like more drink