“Fun place”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Fun place”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

I loved sitting on the deck outside. Great food, pleasant waitress, good music playing. I'll definetely be back!

Visited August 2014

Truro, Canada
“Death by a thousand cuts......”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

And thus it begins..... What started as a top notch beverage/ dining establishment has all of a sudden become just another bar catering to kids. Used to absolutely love their steak.... ordered one last week, mmmm not so much. Went from a quality cut to a bar steak. So I thought maybe an off day. Ordered another this past weekend, sorry.... that was a steakum I was served. Two peoples ordered the fish which they raved about in the past and found the batter soft and bland. The fish itself was very good however. Stoped in yesterday after a round of golf for a pint, ordered a bruschetta for us as a snack. It came un-toasted and unheated. No olive oil. Just diced tomatoes and onions with a little seasoning. Even the waiting staff have become much less attentive and seem more intent on you eating and leaving than serving you which was one of the real strong points of this place since opening. I and many of our friends are very much regulars and supporters of the Nook and Cranny and would hate to see it go the way every other bar in town has gone lately, but not looking too good right now. Please stop skimping on the food quality and service before it's too late. Just look down the street and see what happens when you forget about your clientelle. There are a couple of top notch establishments in town that are now blowing this place out of the water when it comes to food quality and attention to customers.... The Nook has fantastik location and decor.

• Visited August 2014
DTingley, Owner at The Nook and Cranny, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. We take each and every comment on Trip Advisor and every other avenue of communication seriously. I apologize that your last two experiences have not been up to what you expect the Nook and Cranny to be. We are working very hard every day to ensure our customers leave satisfied and become part of our "family". In response to your comment about the quality going down, we have not changed any suppliers or products at all since our inception in May except for a small part of our produce that we are proud to say we source locally through Stokdijk! It has been a whirlwind experience since opening in late May and the response from locals and tourists has been nothing less than fantastic and humbling at the same time. We are striving to improve the experience and are working diligently to launch our improved menu later this month with a focus of raising the quality of our offerings and focusing even more so on quality local suppliers, we are excited and hope you come back to see what we have to offer the Truro area! We have an internal saying that we cannot sacrifice quality and service and intend to stay that way.
Hope to see you again soon,
Derek
“Great go-to spot!”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

I have been to the Nook and Cranny numerous times now since it opened, and I have had a pleasant experience every time. I usually am in for drinks, so tend to order small food items like fries, but three times I have had the veggie wrap which was always yummy, and once I ordered the fish tacos and they were amazing! I love to meet up with friends here. It's laid back and the wait staff is friendly and not eager to get you in and out as quickly as possible like other establishments. The Nook and Cranny is a great spot in the heart of downtown!

• Visited August 2014
Truro, Canada
“Decent drinks, horrendous food”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I wanted to give Nook & Cranny a fair chance, since the first meal I had there was such a disappointment, so I went back and ordered 2 different dishes on different occasions in hopes that I was simply there on an “off” night. I was very disappointed all three times. The first time I tried the “Coconut Chex Chicken” – one of their specials. The chicken was extremely dry and difficult to chew and very bland. Next I tried the fish & chips – the fries were over cooked and dried out and the fish was extremely greasy and the batter was soggy. The third time I tried the maple salmon. The salmon was so under cooked that the center was basically a pink goo. It is quite clear that whoever works in the kitchen is not a trained chef. For the price of the food (basically “Halifax” prices), I figured I would be getting something that I would want to eat again, and not something that tasted like it was cooked by a teenager who was living on their own for the first time, and this was their first attempt at a meal. On the plus side, the atmosphere is great, which is one of the reasons I kept coming back. The servers are very friendly and attentive. I love the live music, and the beer selection is fantastic. If I come back however, it will only be for a drink.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Machiavelli S
Los Angeles, California
“First class local spot with good food and drink”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Not many tourists here. A varied menu with lots of options and plenty of local beers available. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall, a very pleasant meal.

Visited August 2014