“Great place to stay near the golf course”

Best Western Truro - Glengarry
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Truro
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great place to stay near the golf course”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The room is pretty standard but the beds are very comfortable. The fridge in the room is a nice addition for snacks and cold drinks. Friendly and efficient staff check in and check out. Delicious breakfast, eggs cooked perfectly to my liking. Great location in proximity to the golf course.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear doran900:
Thank you for your very nice review of our property. We have been busy with a lot of upgrades and renovations and we are very proud of our friendly and very efficient staff.
We have nine golf courses in our area so we are very handy for a golf holiday.
Thanks again for the great review and look forward to serving you again.
Regards, Judy N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bathurst, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2014

No complaint with quiet and excellent place to stay. The room was extremely clean with excellent services. The restaurant is clean and they have great breakfast. This motel requires exterior update but it doesn't stop them to provide the excellent and clean place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Dear fpi agency:
Thank you for your very nice review of our property. We have been working hard on many renovations and upgrades over the last two years and a few more to be done so I'm glad you noticed. I will let our team know that you were happy with their service and cleanliness and we get a lot of compliments on our breakfast. Thank you again and I hope we will be able to serve you again in the future.
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I checked in on May 2 at approximately 3:40pm and went to my room which was out back in an older section not even attached to the hotel which is where the ammenities are located such as the pool and restaurant. I immediately went back to the front desk and expressed my concerns about the location, I did not feel safe staying out back with 2 children, I asked if I could be changed to a room in the hotel and the girl working was very abrupt and rude and said our hotel is full and there is nothing I can do for you, we put all the cape power cheer group out there, I know for a fact that not all hotel guests had checked in yet as check in time had only just begun and I feel I should have been changed to another room, I even asked If I could pay a higher rate to stay in the hotel and she said no. I then called another hotel in the area which had a room available so I went back to the front desk and told her I wanted to cancel, this was at approximetely 3:58pm, I assumed this would be ok since most hotels let you cancel by 4 or 6pm, she said you cannot cancel, you have to give 24 hours notice. When I originally booked at this hotel I was not told any Of the hotel policies nor was I sent an email or given a confirmation number. I was not told that my credit card would be charged $400 on the day of check in, I really was not told much. I asked to speak with a manager, someone in higher position then her, she became quite defensive and rude to me and a few minutes later said the manager left. I did tell we that she was not very nice. This staff really needs some training in people skills, they are awful people to deal with and I will never stay at this location again. Later in the evening I found out that at least 3 people from cape power cheer where checked I to the main hotel and that was later that evening so why were these cape power people put there when I was told we were all out back, I specifically asked the girl at the desk to please change my room to the main building offering to pay extra and I was offered nothing but rude comments and defensive staff. My daughter has asthma and coughed and couldn't breath properly because if the musty smell and the dust in the older section of this hotel. The air conditioner would not work right and we were sweating all night. Worst experience ever with front desk staff at a hotel!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank coffee1974
Dear Coffee 1974:
Thank you for advising us of your experience with your stay at our hotel. I apoligize for your negative experience and this issue was used as a training tool to ensure nothing like this happens to another guest.
There are no excuses for this so, once again, I apoligize and hope this will not be your view of all Best Westerns as we have many wonderful properties in both the US and Canada.
Regards, Judy N

Travelers are raving about these Truro hotels

Antigonish, NS, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past few years. It is always a satisfying experience. The friendly staff welcome you and are always helpful. The rooms are updated and they have many! The breakfast that comes with the room is great, it is a full breakfast! Love the outdoor/indoor pools. Both have liquor license which is great in the summer, laying by the pool having a beer :) Very relaxed. Overall experience is 10/10!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Chelsea C.
I would like to say thank you for taking the time to review our property regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that your stay with us went well. We continue to strive everyday to provide the best service possible to each and everyone of our guests. We value and appreciate the response you have provided and we look forward to another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you again from the whole team.
Churchill, Ontario
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

DON'T STAY HERE!! On a weekend rugby trip this weekend and made the mistake of booking this hotel. First they gouged us &160 a night for a room that normally costs $98, then they wanted a $500 room damage deposit! It was too late to cancel so we stayed...no hot water at all on the second day....the manager claimed someone broke into the boiler room and damaged the hot water supply so in addition to having no hot water, he charged every room an additional $50 to "recoup" losses! What a rip off! I will never stay here again and recommend you don't either. What thievery!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Simon-Ria
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest from Churchill, Ontario:
I am sorry you were not happy with your stay with us this past weekend. Where you were part of the Rugby Teams that filled our hotel last weekend (and have for many years) all teams were given information, prior to booking, regarding rules and regulations and what the security deposits for each team would be. I will add that no other guests but rugby were in the hotel this weekend. These are the same rules and deposits that have been imposed for many years. Your figures for room rates are not quite correct but in any case, they were due to up to 4 people per room. You are right, we had no hot water on Saturday morning due to the fact that some of our rugby guests broke into our boiler room and destroyed the tanks, computer board and sprayed a fire extinguisher over the whole room. We did get this fixed by later in the day after a lot of people stepped up to help a very serious and dangerous situation.
All teams were charged $25.00, not $50.00 off their damage deposit due to the seriousness of this situation.
I am sorry you weren't happy, but we were extremly disappointed with the damage incurred by this year's group and it's too bad that everyone has to pay for the destructive actions of a small group. Regards, Judy
Hantsport, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband called the reservation phone number and made the reservation through reward points but somehow the reservation was made for the wrong day. I did not know this until I arrived. Check out was stressful as the clerk told me about the mistake. She said that if you are booking on line, quite often mistakes are made. She asked my my credit card and gave me a room. I assumed everything was ok When checking out the following day, the same clerk made a comment that if the hotel had been filled, they would have charged for the room. They also said that to tell my husband to be more careful when making reservations. The mistake was not my husbands but was made during the call in for reservations. This was not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

2 Thank Charlene R
DearCharlene R: Thank you for your review of your recent stay. After checking with our Front Desk Staff and our Manager's response to your Medallia complaint, I can only repeat what she wrote. We are sorry your experience wasn't what was expected or warranted. Your husband was not at fault, the reservation system was at fault and we are glad that you were still able to stay with us and hope that you will afford us another chance to show you our true hospitality at another time. Regards, Judy
Dartmouth
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Spent one night with a 9 year old to experience his first time in a 'real hotel'. Great service. The staff are excellent. Dining was very good - nice buffet and good menu choices. The pool and hot tub area were clean and lots of fun for a little guy. I stay here frequently for business purposes and this experience was even better (since I did not have to work). I would recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Marina K
On behalf of our whole team I want to thank you for your great review of our property and staff. We try our best to accommodate our guest to what they expect and should certainly receive. I'm glad your little guy enjoyed the pool and dining room. Great to have a bonding time together. We appreciate that you stay with us for business and feel comfortable in coming back for leisure time.
Thanks again and hope to see you again in the future.
Sincerely, Judy N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Holiday Inn Truro
#3 of 8 in Truro
Tidal Bore Inn
Tidal Bore Inn
#6 of 8 in Truro

Been to Best Western Truro - Glengarry? Share your experiences!