“Warning: Never stay here!!! Unless you like being berated by the staff...then this is the perfect place for you.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel

BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Truro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Best Western-Glengarry Hotel in Truro, Nova Scotia from March 14th to 17th, 2013. It was truly the worst hotel stay that I have ever experienced, mainly because of one person, the “day manager”, Rose.

When I made my reservation over the phone, I spoke to an employee named Sandra. She was very pleasant, helpful and patient while making my reservation. I asked her what the nightly rate was and she said $89 per night. I booked the room and requested an email confirmation for my records. Sandra happily obliged and sent me the email. When I took a closer look, I noticed that that email quoted $89 for the first night, $89 for the second night, and $122 for the third night. Since Sandra had advised me twice that the rate was $89 per night and had never mentioned another rate, I figured it was an error that could be resolved when I arrived at the hotel.

I arrived to check in at the hotel on March 14th, 2013. When I got to the front desk, I advised the clerk that I had gotten an email confirmation for my stay, but that it quoted me $89 for the first night, $89 for the second night and $122 for the third night. I explained to her that I figured it must be an error. She confirmed that yes, it was an error that she would fix right away, and she also said that “the rate will be the same for all three nights, 89 dollars.” I was very pleased that the issue seemed to have been resolved quickly and easily.

Now, this is where my stay becomes unpleasant. In the morning of March 15th, after my first night’s stay, the telephone in my room rang (waking me up from my sleep) and it was the front desk calling. The person on the phone said the following: “There has been some confusion and the rate of $89 that you were quoted is incorrect. Your actual rate is $110 per night.” I was still half asleep at this point and trying to make sense of what she was saying. I advised her that I have an email that states $89 per night, and was also reassured when I checked in that would be my rate. She continued to say, in a curt tone, that my rate will be $110. I have stayed in many hotels, and never have I seen a hotel inform a customer of a rate change AFTER they have already spent the night. Not once did she apologize for the error, or take any responsibility for this problem. I advised her that I would come down to talk to her about the issue later that morning.

As I was getting ready for the day, my husband ( who was staying in a separate room in the main building of the hotel with a basketball team he coaches) stopped by my room. I explained about the phone call and asked if he would stop at the desk and speak to them when he went back to the main building of the hotel. My room was located in a separate building at the back of the lot and I thought he could just stop by on his way back to his room. He arrived at the desk and spoke to the “day manager”, Rose. He explained the situation from earlier and she advised that yes, the rate was going to change from $89 to $110. She was immediately defensive and rude, still not ever offering an apology for the situation. In fact, she proceeded to say that I was “going around telling other guests that I was getting an $89 rate.” At this point, she was getting very worked up and my husband asked her to calm down, as he didn’t feel that the situation warranted the level of anger that she was exhibiting.

Firstly, $89 was the rate that I had been quoted. Never, in my several conversations with the Best Western-Glengarry, was I informed that this was some sort of “secret” rate that I should not discuss with anyone. And not that I feel I should even have to explain myself, but the only time that I did discuss the rate with anyone had been our first evening there when I said to the other coach’s wife, “The rooms are decent for $89 per night.” I was actually complimenting the hotel with that statement but, trust me, you won’t catch me doing that again.

Rose told my husband that the $110 rate included coupons for free breakfast and the $89 did not. My husband then suggested that we could just return the breakfast coupons and then she could put the rate back down to $89. Rose continued with her negativity and said, “It’s too late now. She’s already been down here for breakfast.” My husband informed her that, no, I had not even left my room yet and he would go up to my room and get the coupons. When he arrived back at the desk with the breakfast coupons, he gave them to Rose and requested that she now change my rate back to $89. She said the following; “Fine, I will change it back. But if I hear of her telling anyone else about the $89 rate, I will change the rate back to $110 without informing her and the charge will be applied to her credit card.” My husband proceeded to inform her that what she was saying is completely inappropriate and that her customer service skills are appalling. Not only did she never once apologize for the hotel’s error, but she was actually blaming me!

Never, in my years as a paying customer, have I felt so personally attacked by someone in the service industry. For her to threaten me in this manner is completely unacceptable. At the very least, this person requires some extensive customer service training and, in my opinion, should not be a manager of any kind. The Best Western-Glengarry, and Best Western International, should be absolutely ashamed to have such a person as the face of their company.

If all of the other hotels in Truro hadn’t already been booked solid by the tournament, I would have checked out immediately. There were other guests that weekend that had issues with her as well, but I'll let them tell you about their experiences.

This situation has bothered me to such a degree that I feel other consumers need to be made aware of the quality of customer service at the Best Western-Glengarry. As a family, we will never again spend another cent at the Best Western-Glengarry or any other Best Western, for that matter. If bullying and berating their customers is the manner in which Best Western employees conduct themselves, then I, as a customer, want no part of it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

6 Thank BballWife_000
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Bball Wife from Fredericton
Thank you for your comments on our property during the recent Basketball Championships. Even though these are very unpleasant to hear, we do appreciate them and sincerely apologize for the manner in which you were treated.
We agree with you totally that you should have been charged the exact rate you were quoted when booking the rooms without fanfare or question. The rate was incorrectly quoted, however, this was certainly not your problem, but ours. We sincerely apologize for this injustice.
I am not sure who you or your husband were talking with, however, I can assure you that it was not Rose. Rose did talk with three different customers that weekend, one in regards to a problem in the dining room, one with a problem with a guest room and one with a noise complaint from the partying on Saturday evening but at no point came in contact with you or your husband and is herself quite mortified with the way in which this was handled. This does not in any way take away from how our problem, not yours, was handled and is unacceptable even to us. Please be assured that it is being dealt with at this end.
I can understand but disappointed that you will not be affording us a second chance, however, I do hope you will continue to stay at one of the many other beautiful Best Western properties that are available.
Regards, Judy N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

In December of 2012 a teammate of mine phoned the Best Western Plus Glengarry in Truro, Nova Scotia reserving seven rooms for two nights for our rugby team. A credit card number was provided for a $500 deposit. The call was brief, vague, and neither a confirmation email nor any form of follow-up was sent.

While we travel to Truro from Halifax annually to participate in the Truro Rugby Club's annual tournament, this is the first year that our Planning Committee chose to stay in the Best Western Plus Glengarry for accommodation.

On March 6, 2013, the same teammate called to cancel two of the seven rooms as per the 24 hour cancellation policy outlined on the Best Western Glengarry's website. She was very surprised and alarmed to be told that the cancellation policy for this specific tournament weekend had changed to seven days and they would not cancel the two rooms.

At no time were we informed verbally or in writing of this more restrictive cancelation policy at the time of booking. We then attempted many times through email, phone, and fax to contact Rose DeCoste, the manager working at the time, to try and work out the misunderstanding. Ms. DeCoste chose to ignore us through and through. We also contacted the main Best Western Customer Care line via email and phone, they also chose to ignore the situation.

Upon our arrival in Truro the morning of March 8th, 2013 I went in person to try and speak with Ms. DeCoste, the front-end staff were immediately rude and refused to talk to us, informing us over and over again that we were told because "they've been doing this for years" and "everyone knows of this policy." It was never the policy we had an issue with, just the fact that we were not informed of the change and that we were ignored when we tried through every medium to discuss it sensibly and calmly with them.

I was shocked at this treatment from Ms. DeCoste and her staff and as a result can be certain we will never be staying there again. We will be returning to the Holiday Inn in Truro where we stayed last year, I highly recommend it over the Best Western Glengarry.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank hdc1992
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear hdc1992
Thank you for your comments on our property regardless of the unpleasantness of them. We were sorry that we were unable to handle your complaints at the time but are glad you were only charged for the number of rooms that you actually stayed in and not for the actual number of rooms you booked with us.
We have had the policies in place now with rugby for years and have never had a problem with this.We literally block our entire hotel off so that the Rugby players can fully enjoy themselves without upsetting other guests. For 2014, we will be emailing everyone out these policies in full, which they will have to sign and return before their rooms are confirmed thus saving us and someone as yourself from going through this experience again. We are human and even though we attempt to notify every one of these policies upon booking, we deeply regreat this was not the case with you.'Once again, thank you for your time and we do hope you will consider staying with us in the future to afford us a second chance.
Yours truly, Judy N.

Travelers are raving about these Truro hotels

Beaver Bank NS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

A nice hotel. Rooms are clean. The beds are comfortable. Bathroom is out dated and could use some upgrades. Restaurant was enjoyable. The pool was lovely. The kids had a great time. The price for the room was a bit steep. Would return again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Denise: Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We try to accommodate all our guests needs and are always hopeful that we succeed. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Truro as you will see quite a difference in our look! Over the next few months we are doing all new bathrooms with quartz countertops, new furniture bathroom vanities to match the bedroom furniture, new furniture in our suites and meeting rooms and lots of other updates.
Thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Judy
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

In town visiting with family. Choose this hotel for a couple of nights.
My room was clean.
I booked my room on-line, when I got to the hotel I was upgraded to a suite, at no additional cost, as the hotel was quiet that evening, that was nice. I was checking out and noticed they "accidentally" charged me for the upgraded suite. The first person I was dealing with at the front desk couldn't have cared less that a mistake was made. I was annoyed by her attitude. I'm glad another person overheard our conversation, she came to help with the issue, the mistake was corrected quickly, apologized for mistake. No more issue.
My rating is reflective of the experience I encountered at the front desk for checking out with one individual. All other staff members were very courteous. I thank you. If not for that one experience I would have rated the hotel very good. I may stay here again if in a bind.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We're pleased that we met your expectations and we were glad we could upgrade you to a suite on a slow evening. When making a change of accommodation in the computer the desk clerk must also make the change in rate which was obviously forgotten. The incident in the morning could easily have been avoided with a simple "sorry, my mistake" but that wasn't done. We apologize for your inconvenience but really glad you found everthing else to your satisfaction.
Ingonish, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I pulled into Truro as an unscheduled stop due to bad weather. I needed a place to sleep for a few hours before catching a plane. The woman that checked me in was great. She arranged for a shuttle to the airport and for me to leave my vehicle at the hotel for the week. I was required to leave my keys at the front desk before I left. The young man that was working the night shift when I checked out at 3:30 am was less the impressive. I have him my car keys on the way out. He did not get my car info. Didn't care what I was driving, the plate number or where it was located. I had a bad feeling but I had to leave. When I returned a week later surprise surprise my keys are nowhere to be found! As I live 4 hours away it was miracle that I had a spare set. But the thing that bothered me the most is the way I was treated. The woman at the desk seamed annoyed and uninterested in helping me or looking for them. I was told " we didn't charge you to park here so it is not our responsibility " I was less than impressed with that response. I am also in the industry and run accommodations on the Cabot trail and have been doing it for my entire life and could never imagine being so rude to a customer. In the future when people are asking me where to stay, which happens every day, I will not be recommending the Glengary! Which is too bad because the hotel it's self was great and pieced well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Kelly H
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our property. To say the least, we were not impressed with the response you got regarding your keys left with us (there is a firm policy in place regarding vehicles left with us). I'm glad the desk clerk in the evening when you checked in followed our policy of helping the customer to the utmost. However, all fell apart from there on and the incident has been brought to the attention of those involved. Being in this industry you understand that service is everything and I apologize that we let you down on this visit. I hope you will change your mind and stay with us again as I can assure you something like this will never occur again.
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was married at this hotel and have stayed at this hotel on a couple of occasions but recently I have experienced some of the worst customer service of my life trying to purchase a travel card at this hotel. Carmella's cutomer service skills can use some serious improvement. I work in the travel industry and have never experience someone so condescending and unhelpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jenifer R
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Jenifer R
I was sorry to read your comments on customer service regarding our Front Desk staff as I knew of the issue that you encountered back in December when it happened. Due to no control of ours there was a problem with our Travel Cards and we had to order more and advised you when they arrived at our hotel. We apologized for your inconvenience and sincerely regret any displeasure that you experienced. I believe a letter was sent directly to you explaining the cicumstances of the issue.
Regards, Judy
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a comfortable, clean hotel. I enjoy staying here. But I have a problem with the onsite dining room. The servers make the toast/english muffins. Disgusting. I watched my server go about her duties, cleaning dirty dishes etc...then make my english muffin with her dirty hands. If making toast is too big a stain on the kitchen (*rolls eyes*) then they should give guests the choice to make their own toast. I would gladly wash my hands and make my own toast, rather than have it made by a server. I will not eat there because I feel it is a health hazard. Too bad, because it is convenient and the food seemed decent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Judy N, Owner at BEST WESTERN Glengarry Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We are very pleased you found our property comfortable and clean. We try our best to make our guests feel at home and welcome and our friendly staff are always eager to please. I am sorry that you were displeased with the service of our staff in the coffee shop, which is the only area that the server makes her own toast, english muffins etc.. We will definately bring to her attention that hand washing is a policy that we strictly adhear to when handling food and am really sorry that we failed you in this respect. Thank you for taking the time to bring this situation to our attention.
Judy N.