“Exceeded expectations for a Holiday Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Truro

Holiday Inn Truro
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Truro
South Carolina
“Exceeded expectations for a Holiday Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We flew into Halifax and picked up our Hertz rental. It;s about an hour to Truro which was as far as we wanted to drive our first day in NS. Chose Holiday Inn because of price/location/availability, with no expectations other than a clean room with "no surprises". The surprise was that it was so much better than that: very large, spacious room with an "all new" feel, very nicely appointed with tile bath, track lighting, lg flat screen TV, free in-room internet, choice of soft or firm pillows, etc. It's a convention center with full service, including a weight room and indoor pool. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant/lounge, which provided a surprisingly good meal, as well as some locals hanging around the bar who gave us good advice for our trip. We felt like we had lucked into a jewel with this place. Highly recommend! OH, ONE MORE THING: USAir had lost our luggage, so we arrived here with nothing more than the clothes on our back. The front desk people could not have been nicer: Gave us a huge bag full of toiletries and were exceedingly helpful and kind....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarolinaRoadTripper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Maritimes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

From the beginning I was surprised and impressed with the Holiday Inn. I had only been to Truro once before and many years ago so I didn't know what to expect. I was there for work so I actually didn't have high expectations. Well, the Holiday Inn was a lovely surprise.

The room was great - nice and well-appointed. Great fridge, TV, etc. The bed was super comfortable and I loved the choice between soft and firm pillows! It was very quiet and I was able to get all the rest I needed.

Another wonderful surprise was the fitness room and pool. The fitness room is the best I have ever seen in a hotel. It had treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, and weight machines. You'd be able to get a really good work out there. Oh, there were flat screen TVs too! I enjoyed using the elliptical machine.

The pool and hot tub were super. The layout and decor of the pool area was really nice. Lots of room and very relaxing. The hot tub was great. The pool is a salt water pool so you don't get the same chlorine irritation. It was quite large for a hotel pool - probably 25 yards. Big enough to actually do laps and get a little exercise.

The restaurant was also nice, and the location was fine. I would definitely stay there again and in fact I had such a nice time in Truro that I may actually plan a trip there. I never thought I would be saying that!

Overall I was so impressed. If you are traveling to Truro for pleasure or business, give the Holiday Inn a try!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Stuart_G7
Monreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

customer service was fast, which is hard to find at a hotel now a day
room was spacy for a great price
no complaints.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

The hotel is in excellent shape. Spotless big room. Comfortable. Good Internet. Everything you need. Friendly front desk staff allowed early check-in.

I paid $20 dollars online during booking which I though covered breakfast for the three of us. It turned out it was a $20 credit which did not cover breakfast for 2. Breakfast OK but I could have done better for $27 for two.

This hotel is 5 minutes from the Tidal Bore viewing area which is the big draw in Truro. Good safe hotel with safe parking. Good free wireless Internet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

I recently found myself driving across Nova Scotia, and in need of a hotel room in the Truro area. I was not overly familiar with the area, and I am sometimes wary of Holiday Inn hotels in the middle of nowhere, as they can sometimes be old and outdated. This was not the case with the recently renovated Holiday Inn in Truro, Nova Scotia. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel.
At first, the check-in staff was helpful and efficient, and even recommended some restaurants in the area. There is not much within walking distance, so my colleague and I ate at the hotel restaurant (more on that later).
The room itself, while a little on the smaller side, was very modern, clean, and comfortable. The room featured the new Holiday Inn branding including new linens and decor, and everything was quite nice. The bed was very comfortable, and there as a nice selection of pillows. The work desk was very good, and the Hi-Speed internet (which is always a gripe for me as a frequent business traveler) was very fast and worked great. There was a big LCD TV and plenty of Canadian and American TV channels. The bathroom, while small, had a great shower and a good selection of Bath & BodyWorks products. They smelled really good!!!
For dinner, we chose the hotel restaurant, which can be scary at some Holiday Inn hotels, but this one was really good. The food was great, the service was excellent, and they had a nice selection of local Nova Scotia wines. I would easily eat there again!!
We did not do breakfast in the morning, although the hotel offered it, but check-out was quick. Their computer in the lobby was down, but the woman behind the counter allowed me to use her workstation to print a boarding pass, which was very nice.

I would easily stay here again if in the Truro area!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

I had a one day meeting in Truro last month before making my way to more appointments in New Brunswick. When I arrived at the Holiday Inn in Truro the front desk made me feel very welcome. The girl working even asked me what kind of room I would prefer as they had a couple of different rooms available. I had never been asked this before without a hotel trying to get more money out of me! Of course, I picked the room with the king bed. The room was NEW with a very comfortable king size bed and huge flat screen television. The fitness centre is the largest and brightest I have ever used in hotel. Also, their pool looked bright and clean although I did not use it. Lastly, my breakfast in the restaurant the next morning was delicious and the waitress even surprised me with a coffee in a take out when a paid my bill. I will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn the next time I am in Truro.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

I was concerned that the hotel would seem older when I saw its' location. It's in a very residential area. I don't know how old it is, but the interior seems brand new. The room was very comfortable with the highest quality linens and towels that I have seen in this type of hotel. Breakfast is not included, so it's not as good of a value as others hotels we stayed on this trip, but I didn't see anything in Truro that looked as nice.
The only issue we had was that the maintenance staff had a scheduled fire alarm test the Sunday morning we were checking out. Management had put a letter under the door overnight informing us about it, which I appreciated. The letter said the test would begin at 11am (checkout time) and that seemed reasonable. Unfortunately, someone in maintenace was a little over eager and decided to begin the test at about 10:30. We were trying to hurry and get out because the piercing alarm was going off for about a minute at a time at two or three minute intervals. It was extremely annoying. My husband called the front desk and they seemed to be as frustrated as we were and said they had begged maintenance to stop to no avail. The testing did end about 5 minutes before we left. Don't know if they were finished or if the front desk appeals were finally heeded. It was a great stay other than that, but there was absolutely no reason to inconvenience guests that way. The hotel probably would've been nearly empty if they had waited an hour or so.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple