“Cheap, clean and think its a great spot for motorcycle”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Berry's Motel

Berry's Motel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Truro
Fredericton, Canada
“Cheap, clean and think its a great spot for motorcycle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I found it easy to find near highway. Grocery store across street, decent breakfast for a quick parting in morning. Drive up room. Nice lady at check in. Was 79$ with all taxes in. This hotel is locally owned. Room was clean and the bed and pillows were wonderful. Even had a fabricville out front too. Was about 40$ then some of the larger chains in the area on this Feb night and breakfast was free and self serve (boiled eggs, waffles, oranges,orange juice, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, bagels and cereal.)

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatherineLawrence
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you very much for staying at Berry's Motel! Not only do we have a large Sobeys grocery store across the street, but we're surrounded by restaurants as well (all just footsteps away)! Even though you can save $40 or more by staying with us instead of a larger hotel, we're constantly working to improve our rooms and keep them updated and modern; we strive to keep our prices as competitive and fair as possible. Our free continental breakfast is a recent addition and I'm happy that you were satisfied with it. Since we don't have a commercial kitchen we are unable to offer a cooked breakfast, but we try to provide a satisfying continental style.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I read several reviews about this place before booking and I was not disappointed! The girl at the reception was very pleasant and helpful. The room is lovely and seems to have been recently renovated. A mini-fridge and a microwave in the room, flat-screen tv, lovely bathroom. What more could you ask for at $79?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan P
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We have two types of rooms, Berry Best and Berry Budget, and I'm so happy that you enjoyed the Berry Best! It's great to know that our improvements are meeting your expectations. We hope to see you again very soon!
canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed there last Thursday,Was offered ether old room for $69 or renovated nonsmoking room for $79.Was told bathroom was renovated ,new flat screen.new mattresses.I opted for the renovated room,A new vanity and mirror does not constitute renovated!!! paint pealing off the wall, Tub taps dripped so bad we had to put a towel under it so we could sleep!!The flat screen turned into an OLD tv with a red picture.The carpet had more give than the mattress.!!It might be nonsmoking but the room had an old smoke smell. This room was not worth the $10 I paid extra for .My wife DID NOT consider the room "clean" I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joe c
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, but I can tell by your description that you were placed in an older smoking room, not one of our newly renovated units (all of which have flatscreen TVs). Did you contact us at the front desk? I can't remember a recent Thursday which was a full house, so we could have easily switched you over into the new room you were promised. I personally posted a Money-Back Guarantee in each room a few months ago, stating that if you do not find the room to your satisfaction, we'll refund your money within 30 minutes (provided the beds and bathroom have not been used, of course). I'm sorry that the front desk person made such a grave error; I'll certainly bring it up at our next staff meeting! But again, if you're not happy with a room, please let us know; we're happy to either refund your money or switch you to a new room.

Travelers are raving about these Truro hotels

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

A few years back,I came to stay at your Motel because I often have business meetings in the Truro area.I remember walking into the office and was greeted by the most friendly helpful people I have ever met in a Motel setting.I had the pleasure of sitting with them for a bit and just talking about random things.The lady,named Tanya went completely out of her way to make sure the room was perfect for me.She gave me extra towels and a blanket and told me to come up in the morning for a coffee.Which I did and was greatly appreciated.They were both very professional and accommodating to my needs.
I went again last summer to book a room and they were GONE!!..I couldn't believe it but the lady behind the desk didn't hold a candle to them as far as personality.She had nothing good to say about them and said the owners couldn't stand them.I was so turned off by her that I told her I would be back and never returned.What was not to love about them?I was so sad to hear they left.How could you let them get away?On a positive note,I did find another Motel that was equally friendly and professional.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelly W
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We've invested a considerable amount of time and money in renovations these past few years, so our new rooms would be certain to impress had you stayed with us lately. BIG changes from when you last stayed a few years ago! We now have coffee makers in our "Berry's Best" rooms, as some people prefer to lounge in their rooms and sip coffee in the mornings rather than trudging up to the office, especially in winter. The lady you disliked is no longer with us, but we have a great team now whom I'm very happy with and proud of. As for Jeff and Tanya, I have nothing but good memories of them. As your review was not based on a recent stay, that's about all I can say.
Antigonish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I needed to make really quick trip plans, and I booked a room at Berry's Motel. I have stayed there before, and had no issues so I decided to go back.

I called the hotel to inform them that I would be arriving late and person working the front desk told me they was opened until 11pm. I arrived at 8:00 pm and after I was checked in I noticed that there was a posted note that if I required anything that I should go to the front desk. I returned and requested a hair dryer. the owner stopped doing what he was doing right there and then to see to my needs.

The room that I had chosen(queen) had been renovated and it was fantastic. the room was clean, bright, and fresh.

Thanks for a great stay, see you again soon.

Room Tip: ask for the renovated room
Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank firesummit
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review; I sincerely appreciate it! All of us at Berry's are proud that the time, money, and effort we're spending to renovate our rooms are resulting in happy stays like yours. About half of our rooms are renovated now; slowly but surely we're getting there!

Actually, our plan is to have two types of rooms: Berry's Basic, which is a no-frills room at a no-frills price; and Berry's Best, which is a premium room with premium amenities. Value or indulgence, the choice will be yours.

(I'll also take this opportunity to reply to other reviewers concerning the previous manager; she's no longer employed at Berry's Motel.)

Thanks, and see you again!

RK Berry
Truro, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was flooded out of my house and I lost everything Sept.10/12. I had stayed at the Super8 for 3 days and I needed a more affordable option like your pre renovated room as I have a small dog. I was looking to book for about 2 weeks so I could clean up my house, and move home.
Your Manager was not in the office so I drove around the building. I was greeted by an a very unfriendly woman by the name of ? Williams. I was getting out of my car and I told her I would see her in the office. She wouldn't let me go to your office.....She kept saying the dog, the dog, and I tried to reassure her my dog was well behaved and she could call the super8 where I had been staying, for a reference. I asked her if I could talk to the owner and she said, she didn't know where she was. The conversation got to a point where I asked her about having compassion for a neighbour that I would end up sleeping in my car. "She told me she hoped I enjoyed my sleep". I am a senior and my dog is my companion and she is never left alone, for any reason. I left your property very angry and hurt by that woman. I ended up staying at one of your competitors for over a week. That mean-spirited woman didn't represent what you are selling.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Vickie R
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello Vickie R,

I'm sorry about the damage to your life caused by the recent flood. It affected me personally as well.

However, while small, well-behaved dogs are quite welcome for shorts stays of a few days or so, we have a policy of not permitting pets for longer than that. Many people have allergies to pet scents and we have found that if we allow pets to stay for more than a few days, a "pet smell" settles into the carpet and it can be very difficult and costly to remove. Even after commercial carpet cleaning efforts, some people remain allergic to the scent. Also, there have been people in the past who have left their pets alone in the rooms for hours, and they barked and howled well into the night, and disturbed other guests.

Sandra was not in the office because she also helps out with housekeeping in the mornings, and there is a sign posted on the front door which indicates that. I'll let you in on a little secret too: Sandra has a cute little dog named Abbey, so she understands your attachment to yours.
Hartford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a very nice little motel suitable for couples, bikers, businessmen or anyone looking for reasonably priced accomodations that are clean and convienently located. The owner, receptionist, maid, information guide is all rolled into one pleasant lady who doesn't take any gruff
and only asks to be treated with respect. What I found to be most pleasant here, as with many of these roadside motels, is the interaction between the guests. Probably because you park right outside your room and any sitting out puts you in close proximity to your neighbors, you usually get to meet other travelers. This is definately one of these places. So if you are planning a trip to the Truro area you shjould try Berry"s and hey...............look for Roger one of the travelling businessmen who frequent this location. He is not only friendly and quite personable but a wealth of local knowledge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian N
RKBerry, Owner at Berry's Motel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hello Brian!

Thank you for your review; the staff and I appreciate it! You hit the nail on the head with
your description. We're not trying to be a luxury inn; there are enough of those around town, where you might pay $150-$200 per night.

We're very happy in the $69-$99 range; as you said, a basic roadside motel. But don't let the phrase “basic roadside motel” put anybody off. As Brian said, our advantages are price, cleanliness, and convenience, and that's basically our goal in a nutshell.

Thanks for the 5 stars for cleanliness! While some of our rooms are older and the bathrooms tired, we still ensure they are as clean as a whistle. And all the thanks goes to our great housekeeping staff! Yes, a big “thank-you” to them! Day in, day out, rain, shine, or snow, they're always here for you! A big THANK YOU!

I noticed the sleep quality was rated 3/5. Did you find the bed too hard or too soft?

Thanks!

RK Berry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Comfort Inn - Truro
Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant
Tidal Bore Inn
Tidal Bore Inn
#6 of 8 in Truro

Been to Berry's Motel? Share your experiences!