“Best Food in Nova Scotiaq”

Lakelawn Motel Cafe
Ranked #14 of 62 Restaurants in Yarmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Food in Nova Scotiaq”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We travel on business all year long and we have eaten in the best and the worst restaurants. While staying at the Lakelawn B and B we were lucky to get a seat in their fine dining café and what an experience that was.
It was a very relaxed non pretentious yet professional atmosphere and semi formal. The atmosphere was so wonderful we did not want to leave. We had three courses, cocktails and wines as well as after dinner liqueurs. Our bill was more reasonable than most places we visited. The food is to die for and I hope we can one day get the time to go back to Yarmouth and enjoy the Lakelawn Fine Dinners. All those who dined in the café were pleasantly surprised and we talked to a few other couples who were staying there and they all could not believe how wonderful everything was.
I think we will one day make our way back there to taste that amazing menu selection.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lynne S
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn Motel Cafe, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
What a great review
I thank you for taking the time and for just knowing how to enjoy.
Hope to see you again in the near future.
Thanks for the memories.

Saint Jerome, Canada
“Great Room and Wonderful Restaurant”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is our second time at the lakelawn Motel. We love Yarmouth Nova Scotia and keep going back. One attrations is the Lakelawn and the people who run it. It is clean and comfortable and they gave us a great price for staying multiple nights. It has a great central location yet a bit off the beat and track which made for a quieter area. The grounds were so well kept and well attended to. We even were lucky enough to have a very warm day to relax under the sun.
We asked it we could check in early and check out later than the usual time and they had absolutely no problem with that. They also made us tea and coffee whenever we asked for it and would not accept any payment for it. The people took an old building and gave it a lot of thought and care and made service their attraction. It works. We felt save and well looked after at all times. We will be going back.
We ha dinner at the restaurant twice and we had several courses and wines a what a great experience.
They have a set menu with a lot of choices and all was absolutely excellent.
I strongly recommend the motel for travelers who are looking for comfort and value. I recommend the restaurant to all those who know and appreciate qualilty in food service.
We hope to be back.

• Visited May 2013
I think you are wonderful too
We thank you for taking the time to enjoy and for writing this review
We do hope to see you back in the near future
Gatineau
“Sad scenery, dry fish and weak tea”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My friend and I went to the Lakelawn Motel Café for lunch and were quite disappointed. Having heard positive comments about this restaurant, we expected a pleasant experience but were sorely disappointed.

We were warmly greeted by the owner and led into a reasonably attractive dining room but things went downhill from there. We were seated next to a window which, instead of overseeing a landscaped yard or garden, gave us a view of a small fenced-in enclosure where a beautiful dog was pacing back and forth. This animal was in obvious discomfort at being in the small space and had likely been there for a while because the grass was completely worn away from its frantic pacing back and forth. As an animal lover, I was upset at having to watch this pitiful dog who was in obvious distress. Not the ideal scenery for an enjoyable meal.

We decided to order pan-fried fish and salad. Simple fare, easy to prepare, one would think. I assumed the fish would be fresh as this café is located in a fishing port. Unfortunately, our fish was dry and had obviously been previously frozen. The lettuce in our salad was wilted. Neither of us finished our meals. Even the tea was awful. It was tasteless and weak. When we told our server (the owner) he attempted to be funny by imitating a fake British accent and saying: "Pity!" This sad attempt at humour did not impress us, nor did the food. I would not recommend this café to anyone.

Yarmouth has very few decent restaurants. "Pity" that the Lakelawn Motel Café is not one of them.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Denise R
I am not sure where you had lunch. I am sure it was not here.
We have not opened for lunch for 3 years....We only do private lunch functions.
We do not have grass in the back that you can see from any windows.....There is a deck and a fence there and has been for four years. That is our Patio in the back. There are people having cocktails before dinner out there.
We only serve fresh fish and like you said why would anybody in Yarmouth buy frozen fish.
None of our waiters that we have now or ever had here in the past had a British accent.
We hope you try us here one day so you can see the difference.
Wishing you all the best
Ottawa, Canada
“A GEM IN YARMOUTH”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lakelawn Bed and Breakfast Motel from Nov 3rd-11th and had a wonderful experience. The Lakelawn Cafe at the Bed and Breakfast is open from Monday to Saturday by reservation only and closed on Sundays. As our first full day was a Sunday, we ate at a couple of local restaurants in Yarmouth that were unremarkable. For the rest of our stay, we ate at the Lakelawn Cafe for breakfast and dinner and always left completely satisfied. The Lakelawn Cafe is open to everyone, you do not have to be staying at the Lakelawn Bed and Breakfast Motel to eat at this quaint restaurant. Reservations must be made ahead of time. Matthew the chef and owner will be more than happy to accomodate you. We always made reservations for dinner after our breakfast for that evening. We never ate lunch as we did not have room after our large breakfast. The Lakelawn Cafe is a small charming restaurant with a wood burning fireplace that seats 20 people. The Cafe has a wonderful ambiance; always soft music playing, white tableclothes, cloth napkins and lit candles on the tables for dinner. As soon as you enter you are made to feel at home in a very relaxing and warm atmosphere. Before I talk about the food, I must point out how clean this restaurant is. You can always tell how clean a restaurant is by their washrooms. The washroom is spotless with lovely handsoap and paper towels. In the morning for breakfast, we were always greeted by a warm welcoming smile from the chef and owner Matthew with a fresh pot of coffee. Our breakfast consisted of a fresh fruit platter which included fresh pineapple, banana, sliced apples, green and red grapes,sliced kiwi, orange, pears and cantaloupe. The omelettes were amazing! For dinner there is a menu board which is brought to your table which lists several options of appetizers, salads, main entrees and desserts. A three course meal is forty dollars which is very reasonable. You may choose from three of the four options. Or you may choose one or two at the listed price. Every night for my appetizer, I had the fresh scallops, with potatoe, bacon in a cream sauce. It was absolutely delicious. My husband had the lobster in a butter, garlic tomatoe sauce as an appetizer. He said it was outstanding. The choice of salads were great. We always have ceasar salad and this one was full of flavour with lots of garlic and anchovies. We tried several of the main entrees which came with potatoe and vegetable such as chicken, pork tenderloin, lamb chops, salmon, fresh haddock and a seafood casserole. They were all delicious and the hardest part was to choose which one to have each night. We only had dessert once. We had the banana infused in a chocolate liquor sauce which was yummy. Nice selection of wine which was reasonably priced comes by the glass or bottle. We definately found a gem in Yarmouth at The Lakelawn Cafe.

• Visited November 2012
First I like to say sorry for the late response.
I was just given the ability to respond to the cafe reviews.
I just want you to know that we appreciate your wonderful review and kind wording. We thank you for taking the time and we hope to see you here soon.
Thanks for the memories
Yarmouth, NS Canada
“Fancy spot”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant is very small and doesn't hold lots of people, but that is part of its charm...not a long time to wait, the Chef actually comes out to talk to you and answers any questions you have or tries to make what you like the way you like it. Delicious...

Visited October 2012
I like to say sorry for the late response first of all.
I was just given the ability to respond to the cafe reviews after all that time.
Thanks for the memories and have a great upcoming spring