“this is it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
dickson, Alberta
“this is it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

If I'm ever in Yarmouth again, I will be staying at the Voyageur Motel. It is an unassuming place on the outside, but inside is as close to perfect as I've seen. Everything is spotless and welcoming. The bathroom has the usual supply of towels but as well it has a basket with all the necessary supplies for a relaxing bath. the sheets are an inviting shade of cream and as I have found so often in other establishments, the mattresses are not board hard, but comfortably firm.
In the morning the staff welcomed us into the diningroom and we were served a delicious breakfast. To the owner , Marianne, I say "thanks" for making my stay so comfortable.

6 Thank junebaby41

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

I am a business consultant and I travel throughout the province of Nova Scotia quite often. When I travel to the Yarmouth area I always make a point of staying at the Voyageur because it has everything I need including an excellent food service, clean rooms and friendly staff as well as being conveniently close to downtown Yarmouth, reasonably priced and open year round - what else could you ask for?

I was curious about what others thought about the Voyageur and was alarmed to read the review by the person who recently stayed there who titled their comments "Bates Motel". I don't think they could have been staying at the same motel I was. I found the room to be immaculate with no dirt or dust and the bed clothes and the bathroom were spotlessly clean and fresh. As a non-smoker I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke and there was not the slightest hint of cigarette smoke in the room.

Maryanne, the owner and manager, is a wonderful, upbeat and positive person which certainly adds character and ambiance to this facility.

I would recommend the Voyageur to anyone and frequently do, to my colleagues and to my clients.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly and competent staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
6 Thank BizConsultant
Upstate, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2007

We booked this motel based on the rave reviews of the prior tripadvisor contributors...tripadvisor has never let me down until this motel. The room was extremely outdated and the smell of smoke in the room was horrible. The sheets which I imagine at one time were white were yellow. Once I layed down on the bed my arm broke out in a rash. I ended up taking all the towels and put them over the sheets in order to sleep and used my dirty clothes bag as a pillow...yes...it was that bad. I will agree with the other reviewers in that the property owner was very nice but nice doesnt really matter if the facilities are horrible. We skipped showers because we felt we would just get dirtier. This motel needs extreme updating or needs to just be leveled and rebuilt.

• Liked — Location was pretty good would still need to drive to downtown activities
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank uscashley
Moncton, New Brunswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

My parents and I visited Yarmouth last March and stayed at the Voyageur for the first time, and are we happy we did! My mother's best friend lives near Yarmouth and we go down to visit her a few times a year. This time, wanting to try something different, my mother went online and did some research on hotels and motels in the area. When she found this one and realized how close it was to everything, we decided to give it a try and she called and made the reservation. We found it to be competetively priced, immaculately clean, and the staff was so friendly and helpful!

The rooms are large and are cleaned on a daily basis, and the staff pays a lot of attention to the small details. I could not find even the faintest traces of dust in my room. The washrooms are thoroughly disinfected daily and you are not left with any concerns about hygene during your stay. Bedding is also changed every day. I don't know about you, but there is nothing so relaxing as the smell and feel of nice fresh linens!

At the time we went down, my mother had just broken her shoulder (I know it sounds weird, but she did). She broke the bone in her arm so close to the shoulder that it could not be put in a cast, so she had to be very careful about moving around.

When Marianne (the proprietor) found out about this, she made a point of checking on Mom whenever we returned to the motel to see how she was doing and to see if there was anything she could do to make her stay more comfortable. When we would go down for breakfast in the mornings, she made sure Mom was sitting somewhere where she wouldn't get accidentally bumped by other customers, or the wait staff. She even told Mom that if she couldn't sleep because of the pain, that she was more than welcome to come down to the office (regardless of the time) and she would sit up with her, have a cup of tea or coffee, and chit chat to help pass the time. What a sweetie!

As I already mentioned, breakfast is available on site and I highly recommend you try it out! Generous portions and very inexpensive.

The day we were supposed to leave, we ended up getting snowed in by a freak squall. Marianne was so concerned about my mother potentially slipping in the snow should we decide to go out for supper, that she called us and was able to suggest a very nice restaurant that she knew would deliver, no matter what the weather was like. She was even able to give us suggestions on what would be good to order. She called the order in for us and had the driver deliver it straight to our rooms so we would not have to venture out in the snow, not even to go down to the office to pick up supper.

For you honeymooners out there, all I can say about the honeymoon suite (or executive suite, if you wish to look at it that way as well) is, "WOW!" It is HUGE! And, again, affordably priced!

Bottom line, if you are going to be in the area, stop by and give the Voyageur a try. You definitely won't regret it!

Virginia O'Brian
also writing for
Susan and James O'Brian who couldn't agree more!

• Liked — Cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Starr72
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

We arrived in Yarmouth Nova Scotia after crossing from Bar Harbor, ME via the CAT ferry. The ferry was very convenient, quiet and smooth.

We already reserved a room at the Voyageur Motel for one night. We found the motel to be an old style roadside motel: quiet, clean and convenient for the price. (I have stayed in my fair share of old style road side motels: most of them cheap and dingy.)

The Voyageur motel works well for a night or two and for those traveling on through into the interior of Nova Scotia. Personally, I would not stay for a lengthy period. I am 6'4" tall and I found the beds rather limiting but comfortable enough for the night.

Yarmouth is something of a way station for ferry passengers and those traveling about. There really is not much to see except the lighthouse, a few museums and some coast line. The town offers some restaurants but nothing that really stood out for us.

We found the visitor center at the ferry station to be very helpful and informative.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank oceancrest67
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

A+++++
Very Clean, Afforable, and 5 minutes to of all of Yarmouth, including Ferry. I just want to let everyone know that Marianne, the owner, and her staff made us feel completely at home. It was our first visit to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, with the Cat Ferry and town being 5 minutes the location was key. The restaurants that were recomended by the Voyageur staff were never disappointing. The rooms were clean and the hospitality was amazing. Without Marianne and her staffs helpful tips this trip would have not nearly been as enjoyable as it was. Thank you so much! Yarmouth was supposed to be an over night stay, but it turned into a week. We plan to return this summer, the Voyageur will be our destination. I highly recommed The Voyageur motel to anyone. Sunrise @ the lighthouse turned into a daily ritual. unforgetable.

Sheila Mccarthy
Hastings, Florida

4 Thank bostonsheils
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

Date: June 10, 2007

We spend last week at the Voyageur Motel in Yarmouth. We found the hotel to be very convenient. The location lends itself to most activities that you would want do in Nova Scotia. It is located on Route 1 (the scenic road that leads to Halifax via the Bay of Funday). About a mile up Route 1, heading toward downtown Yarmouth we find Gleeb St. which is also the beginning of Route 3 (the scenic road to Halifax via the Atlantic coast. Yarmouth and everything in it is very close by. You are within 10 minutes of all of the following: The ferry terminal to Maine; the hospital; downtown Yarmouth and its shops; and Rt 1 & 101 (roads to Halifax via the Funday shore) Rt 3 and 103 (to halifax via the Atlantic shore). Regarding the hotel itself: Internet access in the rooms. All rooms have wireless. The rooms that are close to the office have wired as well. Large rooms with a 27 inch cable TV. Rooms are kept clean. The hotel is quiet. Two beds per room (at least in the two rooms that we stayed in). Woods are located behind the hotel. The office has a small restaurant that serves breakfasts.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravlerNovaScotia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel
Cape View Motel and Cottages
Churchill Mansion Inn
Churchill Mansion Inn
#3 of 5 in Yarmouth

Been to Voyageur Motel? Share your experiences!