“Always glad to return”
Review of Lakelawn B&B Motel

Lakelawn B&B Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This complex is old but clean and well kept . Staff extremely welcoming. Room we had was spacious , bed comfortable , bathtub, open windows for air conditioning, . The breakfast very amazing with a very attractive plate of scrambled eggs, ham , and no less than ten different fruits . Decaf coffee would have been nice but herbal tea an ok substitute . Likely a request ahead of time for decaf would be looked at . The place is very interesting ..modern art on the walls with a collection of travels around the world . Antique furniture .....I know to bring my own hair dryer, hot pot for tea ... There are microwaves and small fridges in the rooms . The gardens are lovely , especially the blue hydrangeas . Handy to town . If you want something sleek , modern and very new , this place is not for you but is the only place in Yarmouth we like to stay . . Give it a try!

Room Tip: Check out your assigned room first to see if you like it . We have stayed in several and all interes...
1  Thank 154976judy
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Thank you very much for coming back to see us and for the kind words. In fact your description of our operation is almost exact except for the hair dryers. They are available here at the office.
We always enjoy your visits and chats and we do hope to see you again in the near future.
I wish you a wonderful summer and lots of trips tp come.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We recently spent two nights at Lakelawn and were very pleased. The property isn't fancy, but it's beautifully kept up, and the room was very clean. Matthew was an excellent host -- had good advice and good recommendations..

1  Thank NEtraveler707
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Thank you very much for all the kind words and we do hope to see you back with us soon.
Your time taken to write the review is very appreciated and we thank you for staying with us.
Thanks for the memories.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Matthew and his team have put a lot of effort into making your stay a good one. From the moment we arrived until our departure, he could not have been more helpful.

Our stay was only for one night on a driving tour of Nova Scotia and our room was located in the main house. The mattresses are simply excellent - great night's sleep. The facilities are all clean and serviceable. The WiFi connection was great and it's free.

The breakfast was huge - there is a lot of choice. The standard breakfast came with lots of lovely fresh fruit and this gave a good balance between (excellently cooked) eggs and bacon.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for a great review and the kind words.
We enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to see you back soon in beautiful Yarmouth.
Thank you for the memories.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I cancelled my reservation and needed to book it again. Matthew, the owner, gave us the same rate as the internet and quickly booked us again.
He loves what he does and adds a personal touch to his business! We heard from people who were staying in a room at the B&B that the food in the restaurant was outstanding. The best of their trip.

We stayed in a room in the motel and it did the job. Sure it could use updating, but it was our last night in Canada, and we needed to be close to the ferry.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

And thank you for the nice review and we do hope to see you back here again soon.
Your nice words make it all worth it.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

This motel is reasonably priced and rated #1. There is a reason. Mathew works very hard
to make sure his guests are satisfied and the hotel is very nicely decorated. This was one of
our best experiences of our trip. Thank you Mathew.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review. Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we thank you for the memories. and hope to see you back.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

This may be a somewhat long review, but the bottom line is that while the motel is OK and I would have rated it 3 circles, I have to rate 2 due to what I consider to be a deceptive web site and the business practices and attitude of the owner (or whoever responds to email addressed to the motel as the responder did not provide a name).

First the motel itself. I made reservations here using the motel's own web site as I was impressed by the relatively high ratings here in TripAdvisor and planned to be in Yarmouth to visit Stanly Lobster and needed a place to stay. I admit to now being surprised by the past ratings as I found the hotel to be average at best compared to other places I stayed on my 18 day/17 night motorcycle tour of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The motel is fairly old with no AC (not a problem as we had a cool night), windows that are hard to open and must be propped with sticks, walls that pass sounds easily, small bathroom, etc. The room was clean and livable, but certainly only average compared to other hotels of similar price.

Now to the web site and why I consider it to be deceptive. The web site apparently redirects you to a third party booking service, but this isn't obvious as every web page, including the reservations pages, had the motel name and photo at the top and their copyright notice at the bottom. The "Step 3 Review" reservations page shows a total on the left that shows the room cost as "subtotal", adds "Taxes & Fees" and then shows a "Total" amount. In small print at the right of the page is a comment that the Guarantee Policy includes a $8USD fee payable at the time of booking. Since this was on the same page as the fee summary, I assumed this was included in the "Taxes & fees" amount, but found out later it was not. I got home and found a credit card charge of $8 from a company in Florida. I called the company and they said this was a booking fee for the motel. I do not consider the web site to be at all clear that you will receive a charge of $8 from a third party that is on top of the so-called "total" amount shown on the reservation review page.

I inquired about this with the motel and the person responding first accused me of using my own booking service to make the reservation and said I had a contract with them and should take it up with them. I then sent the person screen shots showing THEIR web site and that I never (not knowingly anyway) had left THEIR web site and any third party THEY used for booking services was contracted to them and to me. I also told the person I thought their web site was deceptive on this as the total displayed was not really the total cost of the room. The person responded that they felt it was completely clear that this was a third party billing above and beyond the charges from the motel. I disagree, but leave it to the TripAdvisor reader to look at the Lakelawn web site and decide just how clear this really is. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post an image here or I could show the exact page. I will try to add it as a "photo".

In summary, the room actually cost $79.00 + "Taxes & Fees" of $22.35 for a total of $101.35 as displayed by the web page PLUS $8 from the Florida booking company for a REAL total of $109.35. Factor in that this motel does not provide free breakfast as did every other motel or hotel we stayed at and real cost is ~$130 per night, as breakfast for two is an additional $20. We stayed at a few other hotels and B&Bs that were in the $130 range and they were much better than Lakelawn. The motels we stayed at that were similar to Lakelawn were $100/night or less. So, Lakelawn is a motel that appears reasonably priced until you factor in the additional $8 charge and the cost of breakfast for two. It then becomes not a very good value at all. And it is generally accepted that a place that advertises as a "B&B" includes breakfast in the basic room price and doesn't include just free coffee and charge $10/person for breakfast. Another deceptive practice in my opinion.

1  Thank Polaris1977
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Our website is very clear. It says call us directly to get the best deal.
When you elected to go online you used a third party. You are no longer with us. Think of it as a travel agent. They all charge fees and commissions. Some charge you some charge us some charge both of us. They are clear about their charges and very clear about their rules and conditions. Besides you called them and complained and to keep you happy they refunded you. If there is anyone you should be disappointed with it should be yourself for not reading their costs and additional fees. They sent you an email and was clear with all the additional costs. You could have cancelled and called me directly. Even when you arrived here to check in you did not say anything about this. You could have cancelled. You had many ways to correct your own actions and ignored every opportunities.
It is just so easy for a person with your thinking to complain after the fact. Blame it on some other person. Their website was deceiving. Any person with a grade two education can read our website and understand it. You were not on our website. You were with another website that sells our rooms and makes commissions. That is how they make a living. You signed up with them.
I do wish you some happiness in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We spent the last night of our vacation at Lakelawn Motel. It was a perfect location to catch the ferry back to Portland, Maine the next morning. It was reasonably priced, the room was very clean and the breakfast was fabulous! ( all fresh ingredients & beautifully presented )

The owner was very pleasant! He took the time to get us some ice for our room. When we called to let him know we might be quite late, he reassured us that it wasn't a problem.

After enjoying the breakfast, I would love to return for dinner!

Thank you for making our stay so nice!

1  Thank bmig
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

We thank you for taking the time to come and see us and for the very kind review that you wrote.
We wish you many happy travels to come.
Mathew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel
Voyageur Motel
#5 of 6 in Yarmouth
Cape View Motel and Cottages
Argyle By The Sea Bed and Breakfast

Been to Lakelawn B&B Motel? Share your experiences!