“Lakelawn Motel also has something money can't buy, a wonderful caring owner, Mathew”
Review of Lakelawn B&B Motel

Lakelawn B&B Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I started staying at Lakelawn about a year ago and this motel has become my favourite place to stay in Yarmouth. I live in the Halifax area and travel to Yarmouth about three or four times a year. Every time I stay at Lakelawn Motel I feel safe and comfortable. The rooms are very clean and have everything you need for a relaxing stay.
Mathew, who owns Lakelawn, is top notch at what he does! I am always warmly greeted and know that if I needed anything during my stay, I just have to ask.
Today I had a wonderful experience (that I know I would not be able to have at most hotels/motels). I had a reservation made and at the last minute (due to an illness in the family) had to cancel. There was a cancellation policy but Mathew waived it for me and did not charge me anything at all! This kind of service is top notch. In addition to this I even received an email from him, wishing my family member a speedy recovery. I would not hesitate to recommend Lakelawn Motel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Thank you so much for such a nice review and for all the business you have given us over the years.
How can anyone say no to someone with your most pleasant style and kindness. You have always been a great guest and we enjoyed your company and we hope that your family member recover soon and we see you traveling again.
Best wishes for a great summer and see you on your next visit.
Mathew, Val and staff

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I booked online and attempted to cancel due to a sickness in our party. As a result of this, we were unable to go to the hotel and tried to cancel just before the 48 hour window. We were told that the room was cancelled by one of their staff members when we talked to them on a Monday morning for a Tuesday night reservation, and then later that day got an email that they could not make any changes to our on line reservation. Following that, we got an unexplained fee on our credit card from their internet booking company (a company in Florida) that we had to report as fraud.

A hotel that cannot make changes to a reservation is absurd, and we suspect these folks are criminal. Also the owner was one of the most unfriendly, hostile people I have ever spoken to (or been spoken to with intense disrespect). Never would I stay at this hotel. A real downer in an otherwise wonderful trip to Nova Scotia on the Nova Star ferry. Take it up a notch, customer-service wise!

And DO NOT book on line with this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Carol S
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Greetings from beautiful Yarmouth NS
I have not met any travellers who are surprised by a cancelation policy. You are the first.
I find it rather interesting that you also have forgotten some facts that could shed a different light .
I am glad however that you have it here in writing that you called on a Monday to cancel a Tuesday reservation so I am not sure how you find 48 hours between Monday and Tuesday.
When you first made the reservation you booked 3 rooms 3 times. You overbooked by 6 rooms.
It was I who contacted you by email and brought it to your attention as a possible mistake.I saved you hundreds of dollars and it went unnoticed I guess.
You went to book the room online with a third party. You signed a binding contract. We pay them commission and they charge you fees if you cancel untimely . They did. Those were the charges you saw on your card. You call it fraud. In the eyes of reasonable people it is the cost of defaulting on a contract and not handling it right. They met all their obligations and you did not. I do not think they are the criminals as you called them. That word is a bit severe and inappropriate but we all have our own style. We cannot have a written contract and verbally cancel it/
I walked you through the cancellation process and I have it written in writing in one of my emails to you. I clearly explained to you that when you make a reservation online you must correct it online for both our protection. What is my protection if you verbally cancel or someone else cancelled it for you and you show up with reservation documents and I have no proof of your cancellation. That rule is to protect both of us. If I wanted to be unkind I would have kept the reservation for 9 rooms and held you responsible for all that. We only had good intentions. We treated you like we like to be treated.
You did not call to cancel ....A man called to cancel gave no reason and no, he was not told that he can cancel with no penalty. I was on the other line and heard the conversation of my employee telling him she will give me the message and that was all. You called me and emailed me many times and now someone else is cancelling your reservation! How do we know you agree to that? How does the Booking company know?
He called from a non published number. We could not call you back. You also left your phone number out when you went online to book so we did not have your telephone number to call you back.
Three minutes later after that gentleman who did not identify himself nor did he say why they are cancelling, I sent you an email asking you to contact me right away and you ignored my email. I told you about the cancellation agreement that you signed and that any seasoned traveller knows. You had to cancel 48 hours before arrival not less It was not just one room there were 3 rooms under your name and it is hard to put them back online to sell them in less than 48 hours. We were not even given 24 hours notice, by your own admission!!
Your situation is not unique. We had many guests who cancelled with a lesser notice than you. They were kind about it and were apologetic and we waved the charges to be kind back and understanding.
In your case you neglected to put down a phone number. You ignored my emails. When you finally called us back, you had an aggressive tone and you used profanities you gave me absolutely no reason to be extra kind to you.
Kindness would have gone a long way especially after I was kind to you and told you that you overbooked by 6 rooms. You did not even bother showing appreciation at that time. I still was happy to help. You did not expect just kindness when you did not cancel the way you were shown how to. You wanted us to allow you to abuse us and let you get away with it.
We do draw the line somewhere. You could have gotten what you wanted with humbleness and some respect. One must be kind to expect kindness back. 48 hours would have not mattered if we were approached in a less presumptuous manner.
Everybody deserves to be treated well and pleasant words do not cost much.
It appears that you expect to break all the rules and be rewarded for it. Not in my world.
Best wishes and happiness in your future.
I hope you find the hotel operators who will treat you the way you should be treated.
Mathew and Staff

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed in the B&B portion of this B&B and motel combo. The room was very comfortable with a wonderful bed. Our host was very friendly and helpful. He advised us about local dining and made reservations for us. Sent us to exactly what we wanted. The establishment while on a main road was very quiet and we got a great night's sleep.

Breakfast was a good warm meal and a nice way to start the day.

My only minor issue is that the B&B is a bit of a walk to downtown and the main body of restaurants and sights in Yarmouth. Other than that, I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the back patio and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for a very nice review and we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to see you back here in Beautiful yarmouth in the near future.
Bast regards
Mathew and staff

Reviewed May 21, 2014

My husband and I were on the maiden voyage of the Nova Star from Portland Me to Yarmouth on May 15th and spent Friday overnight at Lakelawn before going back to Portland on Sat. The B&B is charming; quirky and unique, full of original artwork, bibelots, and eye candy. The Innkeeper Matthew is absolutely perfect; friendly, extremely interesting and helpful but never intrusive. If that were all, it would have been a delightful visit but since our Dinner rose to the occasion of the most wonderful ever, this is a place to put on one's list! When we arrived, we talked with Matthew about dinner. He has a Board with dinner choices and encourages guests to pick out what they want early so he can shop for the freshest ingredients. Lobster wasn't on the menu but we asked and he was pleased to provide it. We came downstairs to the diningroom at 7pm and were led to a beautiful table. We talked about wine and we were happy to see he had a lovely French Sancerre available. Our first offering was warm, toasted Pita with olive oil and a delicious dish of mixed herbs to dip. A perfect beginning. My husband chose not to have an appetizer but I ordered Escargot. When they came, the plate had enough for both of us! These were outstanding- done, as Matthew told us, "in the classic fashion with a touch of Pernod". Super fresh salads followed with interesting vinaigrettes. Matthew chatted about his life as a boy in Egypt and Jerusalem. Clearly the food reflected a life beyond Yarmouth. Courses were not rushed, service was impeccable. The highlight, of course, was the "just out of the sea" lobster- a stunning presentation surrounded by little dishes of unexpected delights, including an extraordinary cabbage dish that married so well with the star of the show. We were each given a lobster and a half, cleverly arranged for easy eating. And while we ate, soft music from Matthew's own playlist, provided a romantic backdrop that framed the whole evening. We finished with a dessert of ice cream and fruit mixed with Grand Marnier. So yum...and trotted off to our room with a bit more wine. I am amazed that there are not lines down the street waiting to get into this unassuming but magnificent, five star gem. The Ferry was fun but WOW, this is the reason to go to Yarmouth.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NHTina
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Wow and thank you very much for the superb review and for the time and the effort it took you to write it.
We have very much enjoyed your stay with us and the conversations. You are for sure on our most welcome back list and we do hope that your travels will bring you back to our great town Yarmouth.
We wish you very many great trips to come and we thank you for the memories.
Mathew, Val and staff

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I spent a week in November at the Lakelawn B&B Motel and had a fantastic stay. There was a problem in the room I was first put in and Mathew went above and beyond to get me another room. Bed was great, room was clean. I had a small dog with me and there were no problems at all. I certainly recommend this motel to anyone staying in Yarmouth.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cdnhobo

Thank you so much for a great review and we are glad you were comfortable here with us.
We hope you will come and see us again in Yarmouth soon and hope that you have a wonderful spring and summer seasons.
All the best
Mathew and Val

Reviewed May 15, 2014

look. this is not a five-star hotel. this a good, comfortable, extremely well priced place. staff if very friendly, as related elsewhere. our room, with it's single queen bed was small (but not too), comfortable, and very clean. hard to beat this combination at this price. we usually lean towards Best Western as a good bet, but sorry folks, next time we are in Yarmouth, it will be the Lakelawn. no-brainer.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KpjmSunshineCoast
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Hi and glad you made it back safely.
We thank you very much for a great review and we hope to see you back soon .
We enjoyed having you here with us and people like you make it a pleasure to work and to continue trying to get better each day.
Thanks for the memories
Mathew and the staff

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed for a week in mid April. Loved the location, so convenient to everything. The rooms were very clean. I loved the atmosphere in the motel lobby and the dining room was beautiful. I can't comment on meals as Mathew was sick at the time and the only meal available was breakfast. I would love to dine there in the future.
We had a very informative conversation with Mathew over a glass of wine one day. I found him to be a very friendly and helpful host. As we are from Nfld andwe were on a house hunt and had limited time, he even offered to go look at a place for us if need be.
The bed and breakfast rooms looked very inviting and were decorated nicely. I would stay in that part of the motel if I was only staying for a couple of days (or could afford to stay there for a week). There was free coffee in the lobby every morning for those whiners who can't live without a coffee pot in the room. lol I requested a hair dryer upon arrival and was pleasantly accommodated. I found all the staff to be helpful and accommodating. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank islandgirl24
lakelawnMotel, Manager at Lakelawn B&B Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hi there and thank you for a great review.
We are glad that you made it home safely and wish you a great summer.
We have enjoyed your stay with us as well and the many mini chats that we have had.
Hope to see you back soon and be well.
Thanks for the memories
Mathew and staff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Best Western Mermaid Yarmouth
The Lake House B&B
The Lake House B&B
#1 of 1 in Ste. Anne du Ruisseau
Yesteryears  Bed & Breakfast

Been to Lakelawn B&B Motel? Share your experiences!