“not so grand”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
“not so grand”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and it is in need of a face lift, it is old and tired, the walls are paper thin, the wall paper is peeling, the carpets are dirty and everything is dated. There was a wedding the night we stayed and they put us on a higher floor to avoid the noise and party from the wedding but you could still hear the beating of the music, the people next door we so loud it felt like they were in the room with us. the staff were friendly and did move the party next door after they received complaints but I would not recommend this hotel and we will not be staying there again. Rodd Inns are normally very nice but this Rodd Grand was not so grand!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LouiseYarmouth, Manager at Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate any and all feedback from our guests. I am sorry to hear that the guests in the room next to you were so loud, and happy to hear that our staff did what was neccessary to accomodate you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Yarmouth, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm sorry but this hotel is disgusting. Dirty bathroom, musty smells - I actually had them change my room twice, but it's the same everywhere. Needless to say I won't be taking my shoes off or taking a shower here! Do not come to this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We do appreciate all feedback from our guests.
Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on your post. Our hotel is not disgusting.
Our bathrooms are very clean as are the tubs. They are not new and therefore show some wear.
I am sorry that you did not feel comfortable during your stay and sorry that you did not address your concerns while in the hotel.
Our goal is to have everyone feel comfortable and have an enjoyable stay.
Thank you again for taking time to rate us on tripadvisor.
Louise LeBlanc

Travelers are raving about these Yarmouth hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Rodd Grand Yarmouth recently and was less than impressed. Although my hotel room was almost clean, the hotel in general is in SERIOUS need of updating. From the sheets that were so rough with pilling, to the polyester bedspread, old school tv (which never really worked) and peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling - this hotel is not what I would call moderate. Next time I head to Yarmouth - I will stay at one of the lovely B&B's they have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kelcampbell
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for responding on tripadvisor. Feedback from our guests is very important to us. It helps us improve to make everyone feel even more comfortable while staying with us.
Zurich
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Staff is extremely friendly and ready to offer excellent service. But generally the hotel as a whole needs a renovation (rugs, walls, etc.). Also the rooms could be cleaner. To bad because the staff is great but the building is terrible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words about our staff. We all take pride in our roles at The Rodd Grand Yarmouth. Our hotel has been under some upgrades recently. New windows, roof, beds etc. We look forward to seeing you again.
BANCROFT, ON
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had the choice of booking with Best Western or Rodd Grand Yarmouth.I made the wrong choice. This place is worn out, to say the least. The bed should have been put in the garbage, the bedding was worn out as were the towels etc. The fridge stank big time when you opened it.
The shower was also poor.There was no remote for the TV and when one was finally produced, you had to play with it constantly each time you changed a channel It was relatively clean and the staff were polite. That ws the only redeeming factor. We could not leave there fast enough!!
KBS/DRS, ON

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room before giving your visa!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry that you didn't have a positive experience at our hotel. I would like to note that we have upgraded some things in the hotel to make our guests stay more comfortable, and our new beds are very very comfortable.
Our staff are all outstanding and I appreciate you mentioning them in your response.
Thank you once again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2012

this place is not even worthy of a "terrible" review; it is like staying in a bombed-out third world country hotel
THIS PLACE IS UNBELIEVABLY BAD
stains on EVERYTHING, closet door-MISSING, spiders, cobwebs, vacuuming doesnt exist we were told (its done when you check out), faucets drip, tiles missing, toilet w/ permanent stains;
seriously, this place feels like a prison when youre in it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your concerns. As I read them I was quite concerned that those were your feelings after so many denied attempts to make your stay here better. I do recall, that after we spoke during your stay, I reversed the charges on your room.
It is our absolute goal to make everyone feel comfortable in our hotel and unfortunately we were unable to do that for you.
Respectfully,
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised because of the reviews I had read here on trip advisor. The room was maybe slightly dated but was in very good condition, with 2 nice and comfortable beds. There was a brand new lcd TV with a reasonable amount of channels, a view of the ocean, the room was kept very clean.and I had no internet connection problems at all. The hotel and restaurant staffs were very friendly and the food was good. Overall I would say that I enjoyed my stay very much and look forward to the next time I am able to visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about The Rodd Grand Yarmouth.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The fact that guests take the time to respond is very much appeciated. I am grateful that you gave us a chance dispite the negative comments you had read. Our staff is awesome, and we are proud to be a part of so many people's positive experience. It is our goal to make everyone feel comfortable and I am glad we acheived that for you.
Again, thank you very much.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Louise LeBlanc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Best Western Mermaid Yarmouth
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#5 of 6 in Yarmouth
Cape View Motel and Cottages

Been to Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!