“What can I say...”

Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I can not review all the rooms, but I would suggest you not stay in room 607. I assumed that we received a rather "older" room because we checked in with a small dog, but reading the reviews here makes me think differently.
There were large stained areas on the carpet (I really don't want to know what made those stains!). The carpet really did not appear to have been vacuumed after the last guest. There were visible signs of lint, hair, and what not along the outsides of the room. What really turned me off was when I found toenail clippings on the floor on my side of the bed.
There were a couple french fries, potato chips and little bits of food down inside the grill on the air conditioner.
The whole room just did not feel that it had been well cleaned after the last guest. Pillows on one bed appeared stuffed in the pillow cases haphazzardly.
On the positive side, the staff were friendly and even had a little gift for our dog. And the bed was very, very comfortable.
I don't want to make it sound like I was expecting a five star, but I was quite disappointed with this hotel. After travelling all day, we were just too tired to check out and find something else, but I will not stay here again until they renovate.

Room Tip: Ask to view room first.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1LadyTraveller
LouiseYarmouth, Manager at Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am glad we could accomodate you and your family pet.
Thank you for mentioning our staff. It is very nice to hear that you liked them and our comfortable beds.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Rodd Grand Hotel in Yarmouth, NS and like the last visit, I experiences long-term delayed wireless internet issues. Maddening, as I had a ton of work to complete and couldn't, as kept shutting down on me.

I was told by the Hotel it was Eastlink. On the same street I have clients, who said they had access all day both days and there were no interruptions. The same clients said they've heard the Rodd Hotel always has internet issues, so it wasn't just me. Plus, it occured my last stay too, so be mindful that you might too, should you choose to stay.

Aside from this, the Hotel offers very good value in Yarmouth, especially considering its on the Main Street and close to everything. I may not stay here in future, if in town for work purposes, as cannot afford to have any internet isues. However, if in town for personal reasons, I would definately stay here again and again. Clean rooms; great service; great food and friendly staff all around.

Room Tip: Try for a room facing the water, as internet access has a better chance of picking-up a signal. Its...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Banjetta

Thank you for your kind response about our hotel, staff and food. We have upgraded all of our internet and yet sometimes still do have problems. Fortunately they seem to be less and less.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Thank you for staying at The Rodd Grand.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

What a disaster! The parking is practically non-existent. The first room looked like someone threw up on the carpet. The second was better but not by much. We walked into the dining room at 9:00 and they had just closed. But when we looked around I was glad - it didn't look too cool. The whole hotel needs a makeover. I'd only stay here again if all the hotels in town were full.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barry H

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on trip advisor. We appreciate all feed back from our guests and value your business.
Louise LeBlanc

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Grand. The staff, food and service were great.
They are investing in upgrades that will make it even better

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank john t

Thank you for your response. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. It is our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Rodd's Hotels has to be among the most inconsistent chains out there. At one end of the spectrum you've got wonderful resorts like Crowbush and Fox Meadows in Prince Edward Island, but waaaayyyy at the other end is a dump called the Grand Hotel in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

Let's just list off some of the issues: dated decor and rundown lobby greets you, clunky elevators with missing ceiling tiles and crusty paint whisk you upstairs, dark and dingy hallway that reeks of mildew smell (thanks to the ratty carpet) leads you to your room, which is even more run down than the lobby, complete with broken-spring mattresses, mildew stained tiles in the bathroom, jammed closet doors, fogged-up windows that are jammed shut (seriously - so bad I couldn't see outside)... The list goes on, and on, and on...

The night I stayed there they had some construction work going on outside. Sign in the lobby stated that they were "renovating to serve you better", but this seemed more like mandatory maintenance than renovating. Looked like they were replacing the mortar in some of the brickwork. Probably just trying to prevent the place from falling apart.

Didn't try the restaurant or the pool. Given the state of disrepair in which my room was, I preferred not to take my chances.

Room Tip: Best tip: choose a room in another establishment!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LuckyLL
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I do not believe that having a Ferrry Service back in Yarmouth will improve this hotel.
This Rodd property is in dire need of a renovation, most people travelling on a Ferry are going to driver through Yarmouth to get somewhere else. They may stay at the Rodd if they miss the boat.
Very dated, shabby looking, really should be closed. The bar and restaurant area are in bad shape, dont even bother visiting the washrooms.
Rooms are very dated, I was please to see that they had flat screen TV's what a surprise.
The beds are low, (below my knee) pillows are flat, and smelly bathroom floors are bad, old ugly tile.
The staff are very friendly and nice, doing the best they can with what they have here.

Room Tip: Really hard to say, try to get a room that was renovated in the last 10 years.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dee B
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Parking was horrible, forced to park well up the street in the back, at night, and walk to hotel! Room was in need of desperate repairs, water damage in shower, piece of heater fell off, stains on ceiling, carpet was disgustingly stained. Very few towels and none brought to room when asked. Overall it was not worth the $100 + I paid and it will not be my accomidation of choice on future visits. Hot tub out of commission but no signage to indicate so. Love Yarmouth, not the Rodd.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank VerWil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Best Western Mermaid Yarmouth
Cape View Motel and Cottages
Churchill Mansion Inn
Churchill Mansion Inn
#3 of 5 in Yarmouth

Been to Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!