“What a fun experience!”
Review of Stanley Lobster - CLOSED

Stanley Lobster
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is now closed, however we are still open for retail and commercial lobster sales.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We visited Stanley Lobster not quite knowing what to expect. It is definitely off the beaten path and it doesn't look like your typical restaurant.

What a wonderful experience it turned out to be. We have traveled to Maine and other places that are touted as having the 'best' lobster, but hands down -- this was our best lobster dining experience EVER. Ernie was a fun host, teaching us how to eat lobster properly and teasing a bit as the evening went on. Some may not enjoy his dry sense of humor, but we loved it.

The experience of dining in the cottage on the beach with a few other families was a great deal of fun and the food was delicious.

I am headed back to Nova Scotia in a few weeks with some friends and I have already told them that we WILL be dining at Stanley Lobster. The lobster was the best that either of us has ever eaten in our lives. Hands down.

Word of advice: Make a reservation!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We visited at the end of lobster season. We called in advance to make a reservation and Ernie said he'd be sure to save some lobsters for us. This is a working lobster pound so there is plenty to see and do while you wait for your dinner. Lobster was fantastic. Don't forget to BYOB. It was raining when we visited so we didn't get to enjoy the bonfire on the beach; we had a blast anyway. Looking forward to a return visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Four of us visited Stanley Lobster while touring Nova Scotia by motorcycle. The prior unanimous excellent reviews got my attention. I called for a reservation and we arrived just before our appointed time of 7:00. At first we could not find anyone and it wasn't clear where to go, but shortly Ernie appeared and directed us to the dining room near the beach as it was too windy and foggy to eat outside. We soon had our meals and, since we were lobster rookies, a hands on lesson in lobster cracking from Ernie.

The lobster was excellent as was the strawberry shortcake. And then the next morning as we were riding through town on our way out, we stop at a light and hear a horn honk and see someone waving from a pickup truck. I assumed the person was waving at someone else so I didn't pay much attention and then my wife said it was Ernie. And sure enough, he was waving wildly as we traveled on.

Well worth your time if you are in Yarmouth and like lobster or want to try it. One of the other guests, who is an experienced lobster eater, said that if you don't like lobster at Stanley's, then you just don't like lobster. I suspect that is true.

1  Thank Polaris1977
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

So the plan was to eat lobster at the greatly reviewed Stanley's Lobster and then catch the 4pm ferry to St Johns. We arrived at Stanley's at 12pm when they were scheduled to be open on Tuesday. I entered into a small office where I found 5 workers and an old man. The old man, who I presume is the owner, was very rude and asked what I was doing there. I said I traveled from Toronto to try his Lobster to which he replied: "if I felt like being open today I would flip the sign around". So I left. This place is a joke. He doesn't follow his own hours and this place is not exactly around the corner. I tried calling several times before arriving and nobody answers the phone. Huge disappointment. Don't make this the main attraction of your trip.

8  Thank jamilio
Reviewed July 6, 2014

When we pulled in, we couldn't believe there was a restaurant nearby. Then Ernie appeared and told us it was on the beach, a short walk down a path next to one of the buildings. What a wonderful surprise to see the charming restaurant in its picturesque setting. The lobster was the best we've ever eaten and the informal setting encourages conversations with other guests.
Ernie is the perfect cook and host.

1  Thank Jan C