“A Small and Intimate Health Spa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bancroft
Grail Springs Retreat
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bancroft
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I’ve been to Grail Springs Spa about 7 times and plan to visit again in a few months.

You will probably enjoy Grail Springs if:

You like nature and opportunities to go outdoors, being surrounded by many trees and a small lake. In the winter you can also see various animal tracks in the snow. You can use the spa’s snowshoes for free.

You like peace and quiet.

You like a small, intimate spa which means that it’s very easy and almost inevitable to talk to the other women (and men, couples) around the spa. At this spa, there are many people who come solo (usually women).

You appreciate healthy food and learning about nutrition.

You like an outdoor hot tub that is quiet without a noisy motor running to create bubbles (love this).

You strive to be a more compassionate and aware consumer who wants to try new, creative “food for thought” – The owner practices compassion for animals and the environment by offering vegetarian, vegan, and raw foods and desserts (many meals are cooked, warm soups, but sometimes there are raw vegan desserts, or a raw main course, very creative!)

You like being surrounded by an atmosphere of positivity, healing, and mind-body health. This spa offers some spiritual and metaphysical learning too, if you are interested in this.

If your schedule permits, check out the presenter of the week/weekend to see if you can choose a presenter that interests you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DanielaD D

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I loved the vegetarian food; meals were good and not too filling, tea & elixirs were offered throughout the day but I didn't feel hungry. The staff was very friendly and the yoga teachers were great. The overall feeling is very positive and relaxing. While it was great, there were a couple of small projects that could be completed to enhance the decor. We were lucky to get a compact room since the Grail was full when we visited. Even though it was a little rustic, I understand why people would stay for 21 days or more. It was a great experience; I enjoyed and appreciated the workshops and would consider returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank N H
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent one week at Grail Springs, as a retirement gift from my children. It was the best gift I ever received. The week was totally mine and the atmosphere at the spa was peaceful and relaxing, with excellent service from the spa to the fantastic vegetarian meals prepared by Tomoko.
I enjoyed hiking with John. It was enjoyable and quite informative. Thanks!!
The morning canoe rides were amazing and I was on the lake by 7:15 am each morning, enjoying the beavers activity, birds and watching the mist rise.
My room overlooked the lake and the garden. I loved it.
It's certainly a place I would love to return to very soon!!!
Marian Ryan

Room Tip: I preferred a room overlooking the lake and when I booked I was adviced about a choice of rooms. My...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Grail Springs is a wonderful holistic, soul nourishing spa retreat. I do encourage you to take in the word "retreat" and not just spa. It is essentially a place of relaxation and healing. This was my second trip and I got way more than I hoped from my visit. If you are looking for a place to be quiet, to reflect, to walk and go within- then you will love Grail Springs. While it is certainly luxurious ( there were absolutely no signs of wear and tear at all during my visit, or unhappy staff and my room was lovely with a very large tub and great bed) ) if you are looking for a totally urban high end spa experience, then you may not find the spirit- centred focus of Grail Springs to be for you- although you may have a new experience too!
For those that are open to the holistic philosophy, it is heaven. The yoga I experienced is mostly 'yin' yoga, which i was so grateful for...not the aerobic, exercise trendy North American version of yoga. The meditations were wonderful. And the morning mantra is beautiful.
The food is healthy, tasty, beautifully presented and we were offered more of everything at every meal.Grail Springs is an easy and welcoming place if you are travelling alone. You may do as much or as little with other people as you wish and everything is friendly.
The spa treatments are generally pricey for the skill set offered I think, but this trip, I chose things that I wouldn't usually get in Toronto and they were great. There is also a wet and dry sauna, an outdoor sauna, an outdoor hot tub, lovely walks, horses and the labyrinth to walk. Blissful.

Room Tip: I travelled alone and was in room #8 - great bed, lovely fire, big bathroom and tub with a rain sho...
3  Thank 50MHC
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had high expectations of my stay, but the location, the staff, the therapists, instructors, chef, and participants of my program put it over the top. I can't praise this place highly enough, and every effort was made to cater to dietary restrictions or otherwise while I was there.
I will definitely be back, either for a detox, or to sample another program.

Room Tip: Avoid the room over the kitchen. Air ventilation unit outside, plus meal prep noise.
1  Thank CherylYank
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just back from 7 day Boot Camp @ Grail - transformed! My room (large, two queen (very) comfortable) beds, was in the newly redone section with beautiful views overlooking the lake. I am not a "new ager" and did very little in terms of "homework" before booking other than keeping an open mind about the experience - -I wasn't disappointed.

The staff were gracious and helpful. The Kitchen (Tomoko! Tammy! Dakota! Ashley!) helpful and supportive. Several of us juiced for a few days and they made sure to track us down and
follow up with our individual needs. The food was delish - I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and could not believe that I wasn't hungry or missing meat! What a revelation.

Madeline (owner) was present a couple of days - I spent some time with her talking about the property and appreciated her insight.

The workshops were informative and helpful for someone like me - a beginner in all things nutrition.

Cell and Internet was hit and miss for some but I understand from talking with locals that the entire Bancroft area is challenged in that regard - that Great Canadian Shield? Most of us were too busy with treatments, workshops, sleeping to be all that concerned. My own focus in coming to Grail was to disconnect from the electronic world and reconnect to me, so it wasn't an issue for me.

All of the rooms I saw had deadbolts and door locks.

I attended the daily zumba/workout and mantra sessions. The grounds are beautiful, peaceful and serene. I took walks with the girls and runs on my own and hikes with the group and our guides. I visited with the horses, took a hot tub followed by a dip in the lake, and a walk in the Labyrinth and attended all but one of the workshops (I was exhausted!) I really appreciated that there was no pressure to join a session or a group if I wanted to be on my own.

The daily breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main hall gave us an opportunity to share some time and although none of us knew each other before arriving, we all left knowing we made some great connections.

The spa treatments provided in the package were good. I would opt for an alternate to the red carpet wrap. No one in our group expected any amount of permanent weight loss from this treatment, however we were all curious. Some of us doubled up for the treatment so we were able to exercise and sing along while watching Mama Mia - good fun while wrapped up like mummies!

I would love to see a program that included meal prep and cooking workshops - it's one thing to learn to change our eating habits and yet another to put it into our daily routine without knowing how to prepare those wonderful meals we experienced (although many of the recipes were shared by the Kitchen and/or available at the web site).

Grail is a wellness retreat and may not be for everyone. I love that this is a grace-filled place where I can go solo, and be alone at my whim. I plan to return for another detoxifying, rejuvenating, bliss-filled week in Canada.

2  Thank travelgirl816
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went to this resort not too long ago and stayed for the week. I enjoyed the food, and the hike and yoga classes. Never seen Madeleine tho, was hoping to. I found a lot of people that work there aren't very happy and i have walked in on people complaining about others that work in the same building, that's what bothered me. Don't know whats going on there, if someone is making them feel miserable or what! loved my room, it was always clean, loved the spa treatments, Jennifer was amazing and has a lot of knowledge on the services,enjoyed every minute with her, hard to find an Esthetician I like. The receptionist Debbie(both Debbie's) were very friendly and fun to talk to. Oh and Jason was great also, had some good talks with him. I will be back for more spa treatments and maybe I'll try the boot camp next time. Hopefully people will be a little more cheerful when I'm there next, I feel that they just aren't happy to work there, not good. Nice experience tho, I'll see you again.

Room Tip: Get the mud steam treatment and the facials!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Romcheskiswim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bancroft
Sword Motor Inn
#4 of 10 in Bancroft
Bancroft Bed & Breakfast
Bancroft Bed & Breakfast
#6 of 10 in Bancroft

Been to Grail Springs Retreat? Share your experiences!