“David R. Maracle & Grail Springs Retreat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bancroft
Grail Springs Retreat
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bancroft
Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory, Ontario, Canada
“David R. Maracle & Grail Springs Retreat”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

David and I have had the opportunity now twice to come back and do teachings, meet and greets & sharing of the water ceremonies with guest from all over the globe. It is a blessing, a unique piece of land and is one of the most serene places that we have found on our travels. We highly recommend this beautiful hidden treasure and we look forward to bring more teachings and enlightenment to guests the years over. Madeleine the owner, and ALL of her wonderful staff are jewels who we cherish and look forward to seeing again. Cannot wait to be there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I'm sure this is a good fit for some folks but it wasn't for me. I'm not a vegan and when I go to a spa I want luxury not a spa in a basement. Lets start with the good-- very nice setting, room was pretty & people were very nice. Now the not so good--Spa treatments were mediocre-- nothing special. The spa ambiance was renovated basement. There is no real workout room with modern equipment. There is no water except from your bathroom sink or from a water fountain on the first floor. I have been to lots of spas and they all want you to drink water constantly. Here after your treatment you are given the smallest Dixie cup imaginable. The water is a symptom. This place isn't pampering. It wasn't luxurious. Book this place by all means if you are a vegan inclined to new age spartan retreats. Not for me. I won't be back.

3 Thank Ginny00
eliot
Reviewed May 17, 2013

It was a complete mind, body, spirit healing week. Thanks to honestly some of the kindest and most knowledgable staff I have had the pleasure of meeting and I travel a great deal for work. I don't usually eat a vegetarian diet however I embraced their vegetarian/vegan diet as well as juicing for a few days. The food would absolutely divine. In fact everyday, the group of people that happened to be there the week we were, all asked for recipes on a daily basis, as the food was so incredible. The dining room and Kitchen staff kindly wrote up those recipes and gave each of us a copy. I can't say enough good about my entire experience from kind and accommodating front desk staff, to the property, horseback riding, spa services, our room, the food, the staff, the yoga/meditation/boot camp/zumba instructors and presenters throughout the week at the Grail Springs Spa and look forward to returning soon and for longer next time. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank annak1234
Ontario
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My mom and I have been looking at the Grail Spring website for about 5 years now and this winter we decided we are going to make time to go. Looking at the seminars and weekends available to us we found that mothers day weekend was the best suited for us..and what a great weekend to spend together.

The Grail
The grounds are beautiful, very peaceful, lots of outdoor chairs, some grouped together, some left on your own. Outside of the Grail looks like a medieval castle. Hot tub, cold tub and sauna are privately situated where you can see the water, couldn't be at a better location. Inside of the Grail has a sense of warmth and comfort. The great room has oversize sofas and chaise lounge, large windows, fireplace and cathedral ceilings. Great place to curl up with a book.

Accommodations
We checked into our upgraded room, which was gorgeous, picture window facing the lake with two queen beds, white linen, buckwheat pillows, soaker tup, loose tea available for your and mini fridge.very cozy room.

The Staff
From when we walked in the staff was welcoming and friendly. Everyone is there to answer questions, help and make your feel at home. We received a tour of the facilities and our questions were answered. Andrea the dining coordinator was the best, she was down to earth and funny.

The Spa
An excellent spa, list our endless of what you can do, so many treatments and the hardest part is what to choose. I was told the raindrop therapy was the best, unfortunately I didn't try that one. I had a RMT deep tissue massage, which was great. I decided to do a Mud Moor Facial which was awesome as well. The products were natural, therapist was informative. In addition to the treatments room they had a large change room/washroom, inferatted sauna and a steam room which i took part in as well, great services, no complaints in this aspects.

Dinning:
Prior to coming to the Grail I was aware that they were a vegetarian facility, that they didn't serve wheat, dairy and that they were having healthy alternative meals. You also had a juice option, that my mom and I decided against at the time. This is where I have my concerns. If you looked at the Grail website you are aware that it isn't a cheap place to visit nor is it rated at a low level. They are a 5 star finest spa and wellness retreat. I expected a bit better of meals. I have been to a vegetarian retreat prior and had way better food for half the price. There wasn't a great variety of the meals, 1 salad out of 3 days, soup twice in a day, canned vegetables in the stuffed pepper...etc etc. I expected a bit more from a 5 star facility. In between meals they didn't have any nuts, gronola, fruit trays or snacks that you can enjoy. Great selection of teas during your meal but not available through out the day. I expected an array of loose teas to enjoy in the great room. Maybe some baked goods that were gluten/dairy free. The only snack that was available was plain popcorn one day.... We felt they kinna cheap out in that area!

Seminars:
We took part in the Mantra, Mediation and Yoga, all were good, I would say GREAT, but descent. We were only there for the weekend though, there are several instructors so it all goes by who you get I guess. The room isn't very large, but large enough to hold a dozen of ppl. If it's nicer I assume they may do classes outside. I did not take part in the NIA or Horse session so I cannot comment on that. My mom did the hike, she said it was enjoyable and the gentlemen was very nice. We come from the north so being in the wilderness isn't unfamiliar to us, but she said it was enjoyable. For people who come from the city it could be something very unfamiliar to them walking in the bush.
While we were there we took part in the 2 day Yogic Chalkra seminar. I really enjoyed the seminar it was very informative, interesting and fun. The instructor was amazing, I wish I would have had time to have a reading with her. She knew the information inside and out, had a good balance of information, interaction and group activity.

Area
Bancroft isn't a large town, there isn't much in the area, so don't come here thinking you are going to be doing tons of shopping, sight seeing, walking the main street. Prior to coming we ate at Granite Restaurant for lunch, it was average. The service was good, friendly, one of our dishes tasted burnt, I was surprised she didn't do anything nor did the chef come out to speak with us. Our chicken pesto flat bread was tasty though.

Overall
It was a great weekend with my mother, we always said we wanted to go and we would have regret not going. The spa was good, don't regret my services, which I could have done more! Accommodation can't complain, looking out your window and seeing the water was great, comfortable bed and linens. I stay in LOTS of hotels for work, some of the best, and I would rate these rooms pretty high. Its all in how the room makes me feel, if I feel comfortable and spend the afternoon in there, it's good for me. I cannot comment how the smaller rooms are, but our was great. The grounds of the Grail are tranquil and relaxing, I can see how year round someone can explore and make use of the facilities. The staff was helpful and always attending your needs. I did not meet Madelene which was too bad, I was hoping to have met her or that she would have had more of a presence at the Grail, but it could also just be when we were there. Food, as I said it's where it's laking, some of the dishes were good, the 1 salad I had was great, the herbal teas were good, but the lack of creativity, availability and quality was REALLY lacking here, we expected more for the category of this place.
Would I return...not sure. I am a person that feels there are too many places in the world to visit, but prior to leaving I didn't have the sense of I NEED to COME BACK... maybe its just where I am in my life journey right now or maybe it wasn't the right fit for me. Do i regret going, definitely not!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the larger room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank wheretonext365
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been searching for an experience that would expand my personal journey for self-fulfillment, fitness, health and spirituality. Equally important that the destination food is delicious, customer service elite level, quality and cleanliness top notch and authenticity spot on - this is it!

While planning a retreat for a group of 8 I was referred to the Grail and after checking out the website knew it was for me and hoped that the rest of the ladies would embrace a unique experience that would bring them outside of their comfort zone. They embraced the opportunity and were amazed at the life changing moments that would enhance themselves and those they connect with in life.

We enjoyed amazing vegetarian dishes, tonics, elixirs and juices. Canoe rides around the lake discovering beavers and the great outdoors, hikes to crystal crops, tepee fire ceremony, shamanic drum journey to discover our spirit animal, red carpet body wraps that dropped 20" in an hour, chakra readings, bio-energy seminar, mediums and much more. It was the perfect blend of excitement, adventure and calm that made for a beautiful night’s sleep after star gazing and fire by the lake.

If there is one thing you do in your life - do this! Our group is committed to living a life full of vitality, health and happiness and it is this type of experience that helps to get to the next level. Waiting until crisis is a much longer and tougher battle for survival - live your best life today and every day!

To Madeleine and Grail Team - Thank You for allowing us to share in your genuine gifts and for your kindness along the way!
Alicia

Room Tip: Room number 2 has a beautiful view and larger double occupancy beds and room number 4 has an amazing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AliciaP444
Stirling, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

After a very hectic few months, I turned off Bay Lake Road and arrived. Serene, tranquil, peaceful and beautiful, Grail Springs was all that I expected and more! Friendly staff, inspirational yoga and meditation sessions, relaxing spa treatments, delicious food and on and on. Evenings spent with Melissa Gordon were insightful and thought provoking. Totally enjoyed horseback riding with Richard, on the gentle Rocky Mountain horses, through amazing scenery. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Some people prefer the lake side rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JanetAMacDonald
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My friend and I enjoyed a two night stay at Grail Springs. We were looking forward to a relaxing getaway and the opportunity to focus on health and wellness and Grail Springs delivered. The deluxe room we had was lovely with a fireplace, four poster bed, and a gorgeous spa-inspired ensuite bathroom. The main building was grand yet inviting and decorated in a celtic or castle theme which created atmosphere, but at times came off as a bit kitschy or overdone. All of the staff was excellent--friendly, helpful, and genuine. In fact the exceptional level of service from every member of the Grail Springs team consistently exceeded my expectations. (However, my friend was disappointed to learn that despite her request, her spa treatment was at the same time as the scheduled activities and, as a result, she missed the morning yoga and meditation). The food was excellent, although my friend and I didn't realize that during the week of our stay Grail Springs was hosting a 5 day Bootcamp and we were being served according to a 1200 calorie a day diet (we later learned we could request additional food such as extra helpings or fruit). We also had a chance to take advantage of spa services, an outdoor hike, meditation and yoga classes, saunas, etc. Overall I enjoyed the experience, but even with the 30% winter discount off of regular rates I feel that Grail Springs is overpriced. It's not that anything in particular was missing, I just don't think that $600 for our 2 night stay offered enough value for money.

Room Tip: Request a deluxe room. Avoid rooms above the yoga/exercise studio (because of noise)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tasha182
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bancroft
Bancroft Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Harcourt
Teddy Bear Bed & Breakfast
Teddy Bear Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 10 in Bancroft

Been to Grail Springs Retreat? Share your experiences!