“Noisy Room -Ruined Vacation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bancroft
Grail Springs Retreat
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bancroft
Havelock, Ontario Canada
“Noisy Room -Ruined Vacation”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I booked 3 nights and came to the "Spa" on Monday afternoon and left Tuesday afternoon. My room at the Grail Springs was above the kitchen. When I checked in I wanted to take a nap but it was so noisy that it was impossible to do so. When I informed the front desk, the woman said they were all booked up and didn't have another room for me and I should just wait and see how it goes. It just got worse. After dinner which was just ok, I again wanted to rest and relax in my room, and again it was impossible to do so because of all the noise from the kitchen. Finally I got to sleep, but at 7:00 am the noise started all over again. I was so angry, tired and upset. Went to the front desk again and said that I would like to talk to the manager because this was not working for me and I was not getting the peace and quiet that was promised. I was told to wait in the "Great" room so I went there thinking that I might have some quiet time before breakfast. Wrong again. Staff started vacuuming. No manager came. Had some breakfast and drank a drink that they called "Mud" which didn't sit right with my stomach from the get go. Went to a yoga class, but was starting to feel queasy. After Yoga I went to the front desk and asked to see the manager. We had a meeting and I said I wanted to be compensated. She said she would see what she could do. It was then lunch time and I couldn't eat anything because the nausea was increasing. I threw up. Went to the front desk again and cancelled my spa treatment and horse back riding session and wanted to talk to the manager. I needed to lay down and rest but again because of all the noise from the kitchen, there was no way a person could do that in that room. By this time I was really upset, throwing up, angry and feeling horrible. I spoke with the manager and said that I wanted a full refund, all the paper work to show that that had been done and that I wanted to leave within the hour. This was done, and along with the paper work showing the refund, there was a letter that they had asked me to sign outlining that a full refund was done, that they would take my complaints seriously and try and rectify them (according to them, no one else has ever complained about the noise) and also if "I could find it in my heart not to go online and talk about my experience" I signed the letter because I felt that if I didn't that I might not get my refund back. I was also still throwing up and just wanted to get out of there. Since I have gotten home I went on line and have seen many people who have had the same experience with noise, especially with the room above the kitchen. In my opinion, this room should never be rented out. Also another thing that I found to be extremely unpleasant is the fact that you could smell air freshener, spa oils and other "scents" throughout the place. That also made me feel sick to my stomach. This was a horrible experience and it totally ruined my vacation. I left in tears, angry, sick to my stomach, exhausted. I found the manager rude, lacking in any compassion, and trying to make it seem like it was in some way my fault. The owner Madelaine, for all her hype about caring and wellness etc. didn't even show her face. That says a lot to me. The bottom line is that they have had repeated complaints and have done nothing about the noise level in Room #3 and continue to rent it out without letting people know how noisy it is. In my opinion when they said to me that they will address the complaint and I see that they haven't done so with the same situations in the past then it means that this spa is about money and not wellness. I will never go back and would take the positive reviews with a grain of salt.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room #3
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
19 Thank Dania M
Grail_SpringsCanada, Guest Relations Manager at Grail Springs Retreat, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We would like to take this opportunity to reply. Our front desk staff was very sympathetic to every need and requirement of this guest but unfortunately we could not find resolve. We were fully booked and had no options to move the guest to another room. To compound the issue, the guest arrived during our very popular "Boot Camp" event which involves our guests participating in high energy, vigorous programming including early morning wake-ups with hikes before breakfast, Zumba dance and Yoga, integrated with specific spa treatments and our PH balanced menus. This unfortunate clash of expectations has prompted us to implement, within our booking policy, a clearer description of upcoming programming and the benefits, expectations and opportunities they bring.

The guest's reference to drinking mud refers to the ‘Moor Elixir’ from Austria, a pasteurized drink and used in hospitals throughout Europe for health and healing. We have carried this for 11 years and this is the first hint of a complaint against this product. It is highly unlikely that this was the cause of her nausea. In terms of the smells; (“air freshener", spa oils and other scents..") which she claims made her sick, again it is a puzzle to us since we are a wellness spa environment and very cognizant of sensitivities and keep aromas limited and pure. We are perfume-free, only use essential oils, organic cleansers, natural laundry and kitchen detergents from a certified "Green" line of products.

The guest had the full attention of all of our service staff, managers and other guests. She was also very aware of the fact that the founder of Grail Springs, who she ungraciously suggests "did not show her face" during these interactions was due to the fact that she was, at that moment, 20,000 feet in the air on a flight back from Boston after seeing His Holiness the Dalai Lama and was not aware of these events. Guest concerns start and stop with our ever gracious guest services staff and capable managers. Even though the guest did participate in some of the programming and joined the other guests for meals, we were sadly unable to resolve her issues and we agreed that her request to leave two thirds through her stay was in the best interest of all of our other guests who were enjoying their boot camp week. This this, with a full and complete refund, a condition she made in order for her to depart. Grail Springs prescribes to peaceful means, peaceful relations and peaceful environment. ~ Richard Capener, Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Grail Springs truly can be described as magical and a place of profound and powerful spiritual renewal. The opportunity exists there for anyone, male or female, who may need to stop for a time and take a look at their lives in a safe, beautiful, wholly nurturing environment. I really cannot say enough about the superior accommodation, meals, treatments, caring staff, physical beauty of the grounds and the lake, and of course, the chance to be up and close with those amazing horses. But the best has to be the totally positive and uplifting energy one feels just being there. Can you tell I’m planning to return??
CaroleK

Room Tip: My lake-view room was wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Midhurst, Ontario
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Grail Springs is admittedly geared to full-week group detox/rehab regiments . . . but we were not discouraged to book a 2-night mother-daughter birthday spa stay, 4 months in advance. For 3 of our 4 spa treatments, the therapists had different times than we were given, making us consistently feel late and confused. They were initially not even able to schedule the simple foot therapy/massage we had confirmed 4 months in advance. It took many humiliating visits to the front desk and being almost reduced to tears to finally correct the scheduling (where it was even suggested that it would be scheduled for the day after our check-out).
We had read a Grail Springs TripAdvisor client report that they had brought dinner wine without any issue. (This is a common practice at all destination spas we have visited.) Our first dinner was my birthday, so we brought dinner wine to our table and since the waitress made no mention of the wine after several trips to our table, we felt confident to help ourselves to it during our main course. After dinner, all of the other clients left for a group seminar and only then did a staff member inform us that alcohol was actually not permitted. Humiliating! Please indicate such rules on your website or at check-in.
The next day it was clear that the staff and other clients had “heard” we were “bothersome”. At our last dinner, other clients were heard making jokes at our expense, and the waitress delivered a bag to our table (instead of just leaving it in our room). It included some bath soak and an apology for the “schedule confusion” and offered our foot therapies as complimentary. While Grail Springs considers this as “restitution” . . . in the end, we travelled 3 hours and spent $1,800 for 2 days of humiliation, 2 free foot therapies and an upsetting birthday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
21 Thank Jane B
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I just got back from "Boot Camp Week". It was more than I expected. All of the people that attended became good friends and we are going to keep in touch via e-mail. I met the most amazing people, consisting of co-attendees, Judith, (their speaker and spiritualist), John, (hiking guide and resident painter - his gallery being a must see experience), Tomoko, (their wonderful and talented chef), spa personnel, desk staff, servers (have to love that Tammy & Datoka!), to Horse Whisper Richard Capener and all of the class instructors. I never thought that I would meet people that I could connect to on such a personal level. Even though I came alone, once at Grail Springs I was never alone. It was fun, exciting, awakening, enlightening, and I would like to come again & again! All white charka, here I come! Loved it.

Room Tip: All are excellent rooms, from the bottom to the top. The Tabins are cozy for couples and I would re...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Deborah O
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I loved Grail Springs Retreat Center. I was in burn out, and sought out GS to rejuvenate and "reboot" myself for seven nights. It worked. I went looking for R&R, but I also experienced a spiritual uplift. The lake is more beautiful than I could have imagined; the food is beyond delicious (and they accommodated my special requests of no soy or corn); the spa therapists are top notch (and I had treatments I've never heard of that were amazing); the resort and room are luxurious (I booked a luxury room), the grounds/gardens/tee pee/labyrinth/horse pastures are beautiful. There was a lot of confusion at the reception desk but they were always nice, calm and willing to fix mistakes. Madeleine M.'s (owner) passion is palpable. I will definitely go back and tell all my friends about it.

Room Tip: If you want a fireplace or air condition, please ask (these are "luxury" rooms), as not al...
2 Thank Marit S
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I had the privilege of attending Grail springs and The Sacred Butterfly retreat, hosted by Madeline herself. It was the most powerful week of my life, Madeline knows so much, she is a very gifted individual and I am honored that I had the chance to partake in such a life changing journey. Her energy is amazing, and her wisdom is endless. If you have the chance, check out this particular retreat. I found that it helped me in so many ways I couldn't even tell you.
I went for a 7 night stay, I stayed in the most beautiful room, I honestly felt like I was in a castle. Everyone there was so nice, and everyone there is on their own journey. It's pretty neat! It's the best place to go to re-connect with yourself and nature. If you come from the city like I do you will love the beauty of Grail springs. It is spectacular. At night the sky looks like a blanket of stars, and you hear the most beautiful sounds. It is peaceful and calming.
There are many things to do at the Grail they have a retreat pretty much every weekend and every week of the entire year, that is included with a spa portion (or not). The spa staff is amazing, and they make you feel incredible. There are 3 saunas on premises, a dry, wet, and inferred one as well as a hot tub and cold plunge. They are also on a beautiful lake that you can swim in, or if you are up to it you can take out one of the canoes or paddle boats.
You can choose to go on a horseback ride or a hike or to partake in any of the workshops being offered, as well as the yoga and meditation. The food is great and by the end of your stay you will want to take Tamoka the chef home with you because she makes the most healthy food and it tastes amazing. It is very interactive and it is a great place to heal your soul. If you are about health and wellness this is the spot for you.
This is not the typical spa getaway, it truly is a self trans formative journey at the grail. It is wonderful and I wish I could have stayed there forever!!!! Thank you so much again everyone at the grail, the people I met were amazing and the staff is one of the friendliest staffs I have ever encountered. I hope that you too will have an amazing journey like I did at the grail, it is definitely somewhere that everyone should go at least once in a lifetime! <3

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the lake are great!!!!
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked a 5 day stay at GS to coincide with their "Sacred Butterfly Retreat". I went in with a great deal of emotional and physicial issues and GS gave me my life back. I was greeted with a smiling and bubbly receptionist who efficiently checked me in, showed me to my room and took me on a personal tour of the facility. I booked a standard room and it was just perfect, very quaint and comfortable. The set meal plan was outstanding; chef Tomoko is a genius! I am not a vegetarian and truly enjoyed the experience. Her plating and presentation was a work of art, making eating a pleasing experience. The hospitality staffs (Tammy in particular) were very friendly, remembered your name and treated you like royalty.

Madeleine Marentette has created a very unique oasis of peace and tranquility which is the perfect setting for getting in touch with your soul and rediscovering who you are. My 5 days stay offered me more than I expected and I would recommend it to anyone who is searching for their purpose in life or even just a bit of R&R.

Congratulation to Madeleine and her team!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bancroft
Bancroft Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Harcourt
Teddy Bear Bed & Breakfast
Teddy Bear Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 10 in Bancroft

Been to Grail Springs Retreat? Share your experiences!