“Pretty good for Bracebridge”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of R&L Bistro - CLOSED

R&L Bistro
Cuisines: Canadian, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: R&L Bistro is a small quaint Bistro on Manitoba Street in the heart of downtown Bracebridge. We seat a maximum of 32 covers for lunch and dinner at one time. We do recommend reservations either by phone or online through our booking interface.Inside you will find a casual, yet sophisticated atmosphere, with white linen table cloths. In the evening the atmosphere is decidedly romantic.A local artist provides the stunning artwork.Our food although simple and delicious, covers a wide array of cuisine styles from traditional French, to Asian and Italian dishes, all presented with flair.Our service is second to none, and in the evening is modeled on the service found at Michelin starred establishments.We look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends to R&L Bistro.
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty good for Bracebridge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived at about 6:30 pm for dinner without a reservation. The waiter asked if we had reserved and then told us there were only two tables left. We sat at the back corner which was OK as it was nice and quiet.
We shared a warm apple and goat cheese salad with pomegranate seeds. It was very good.
The house wines were also nice quality, Shiraz for myself and Sauvignon Blanc for my wife.
Fresh assorted breads with oil and balsamic vinegar started the meal off nicely.
I had the Rack of Lamb main course. It was served very rare but the waiter asked if I would like it done more. I enjoyed the rare meat and the accompaniments.
My wife ordered the Beef Bourgignon which I didn't enjoy. I have made this dish myself and the rich flavor I was expecting was missing. My wife thought it was passable but agreed it didn't have a rich flavor.
We shared a fruit and nut sponge cake with warm custard for dessert which we both enjoyed and my coffee was very good.
The price point was what I expected and the service seemed adequate. The only thing I really didn't like was the ice water. It had a horrible taste. I suggest the restaurant should serve filtered water which is locally available. We use filtered water in our Bracebridge home for just this reason.

1 Thank Jim B

Toronto, Canada
“GREAT SPOT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

A busy little spot on main street Bracebridge.....Has AWESOME food and service,lovely spot!! Make a reservation though because you may be disappointed......

1 Thank frenchdiner
Gravenhurst
“Love This Place! Great Food & Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

It has been a few years since we have been to R&L's Bistro.
We had breakfast which was very good!
Now we have discovered it is much different at night, this place is way more
Romantic than we had expected!
The food was exquisite and presented very well!
Thai shrimp and a great caesar were our starters, followed by lamb and an organic steak absolutely cooked to perfection! Grand Marnier Creme Brulee finished the night.
I would further like to add that the service was efficiently fantastic!
This was a very reasonable night out!
Over all a solid romantic night out!
Looking forward to returning soon.
Thank you to R & L's Bistro!

1 Thank awsomelight
muskokaguys, Owner at R&L Bistro, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
awsomelight.
Thank you for your kind review. I am a pleased that you enjoyed your evening with us. I hope you will return soon to enjoy our restaurant. I will pass on your generous comments to the R&L Bistro team.
Rick Peltomaki(Owner)
St. Catharines, Canada
“I left hungry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first experience walking in was that the restaurant smelled like BO. The food was excellent but the portions were so small that I left starving. My entree was 27 dollars and it felt like it was the size of an appetizer. Not worth the money. Service was good. We left and went out to get food at another place to fill us up. I would not return.

muskokaguys, Owner at R&L Bistro, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Sarah88L
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, I appreciate your comments. I am very glad that you enjoyed the great food and service. I was dismayed to hear that you felt the portions were small and that you left hungry. At R&L Bistro we strive to provide a balance between too much food and too little, and clearly we need to take a second look at our portion size. We offer a generous bread serving at the beginning of each meal, which can always be replenished, we also offer substitutes for those with gluten sensitivity. Our entrees, except for pasta, are served with a variety of freshly cooked vegetables and potatoes.
I wish you would have alerted the server to your concerns, so we could have rectified the situation.
I sincerely hope you will give R&L Bistro another try when you are in Bracebridge again, and we would like to offer a complimentary appetizer for you and a guest, should you decide to return.

Rick Peltomaki (Owner)
Orillia, Canada
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Food and service are always excellent. Staff are very friendly and knowledgeable on the menu, wine and the area. Steak is always cooked to perfection! Best soups in town!

• Visited September 2012