“Beautiful Area....but....”

High Falls Bay Cottages, Camping & Waterpark
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Bracebridge
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for one night as a stop over. The beach was nice and the boats that we could use were a nice break from just being on the shore.
We stayed in one of the chalets, It was nice, clean and there were fresh towels. The kitchen was nice too, but noticed that the dishes were not all very clean. The room was a bit on the high side at 254.00 incl taxes for one night. We were dissapointed that there was no coffee in the morning as promised, and as city dewellers we rely on it, we made the the 10 min drive into town for TIM's. I know the area well beacuse my grandparents live in baysville so we did not travel too much.
The resort need a lot of work, there are a few building that need to be taken care of and the area with all the toys could be cleaned up a bit.
We did not use the pool or hot tub, we swam in the lake( and I have a thing about not getting into hot tubs that are not mine or as family members...lol)
The owner was very nice showing us around the place and set us up for a nice stay, when we left he asked us if we had a good ime and hoped that he would see us again, he might,
all in all not bad but expensive! I could have stayed at a 4-5 star hotel for that price a night and had coffee at my door as promised.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mrd3

Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was a beautiful area, and I think it does have potential IF lots of work is put into this place. From a nature perspective, we have absolutely no regrets. The falls are absolutely gorgeous, and the hidden falls inside the trails is a nice little gem. The beach, while a little untidy (overflowing garbage bin, cigarette butts on the sand for days, etc) is still enjoyable and the pedal boats, while a little grimy, were fun. The outdoor pool/deck were nice, and the hot tub was ok. The room was the big problem. When we walked in to our Coach room it was a step back into time, and not in a good way. There was old milk in the fridge. Someone else's sock, hat and water bottle was under the bed. The beds and carpet were very old, and the room itself had a musty odor that never went away despite us having windows open. There was a stain on a bedsheet and I truly believe it was not changed from previous guests. On the website it advertises that they are "immaculately kept"... nothing could be further from the truth. We did not get fresh towels/coffee/soap daily. We did not even get housekeeping at all. We returned after a fun-filled day to discover the beds had not been made, garbage bins not emptied, the room was not vacuumed -- it was completely untouched. Another guests said he had asked about housekeeping and the owner told him where he could find the large bins to empty his garbage into!
In short, while I loved the location and the falls, the accommodations are as such that we cannot return. If you truly do not care about where you sleep -- if you are ok with roughing it (similar to sleeping in tents), and enjoying kayaks, pedal boats, hiking etc during the day -- you may love this place. I also will admit I cannot make comments on the luxury chalets as I did not see inside them. I do know that others in the Coach rooms were not pleased. I actually do not care that the interior was dated, but I do care that it was not clean. I wish I could give this a higher review, because the beach is very accessible and the area is truly beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask to see inside the rooms before you make a commitment. There are no refunds.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank aabd
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We have been coming here for many years and simply love High Falls mostly for the scenery and beautiful view of the waterfall.
It is under new management as of this year and we expect great things from Berry the new owner. He is definitely customer service oriented and most enthusiastic about improving the place.
Even if High Falls was to remain as is, I would still highly recommend it.
You won't find a nicer place so close to the GTA.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PinoToronto
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I visited High Falls Cottage and resort this past weekend and I can't say enough great things about the stay. The owner Brian and his wife Merizta were more than happy to make sure that the cottage met my needs. The pool and hot tub were great.I enjoyed full use of the paddle boats, water slides and found the fishing to be great..right off of the shore. The view of High Falls is breathtaking.I have already booked the August long-weekend and would definitely recommend this resort to any family and couples who are looking to enjoy Muskoka this summer.

Karren

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bracebridge
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville
Skyways Motel
Skyways Motel
#7 of 8 in Gravenhurst

Been to High Falls Bay Cottages, Camping & Waterpark? Share your experiences!