“Follow up review”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had previously written a review that was less than complimentary for this restaurant due to a poorly prepared meal (ordered rare beef got medium well to well done), poor service and very inadequate tableware. I was offered a chance to provide a second opinion and presented a free meal voucher for two by the manager (thank you very much). We took advantage of that during the culmination of our 3 years of home renovations in September (sorry it has taken this long to post this review). The food was decidedly much better, my steak came perfectly done and the service was much better. Even the tableware has dramatically improver (I didn't have to try and saw through my steak with a butter knife this time). Many thanks for actually listening and making those improvements.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hello,
My name is Wendy and I travel often for work. I have dined at many places but on Saturday November 9th was one of the best meals I have ever eaten.
I had heard good things about the Chilled Cork so while I was in town instead of going to my usual spot of Mama Maria's my husband and I decided to go to the Chilled Cork. Jackie was our server - she was OUTSTANDING. Since it was both our first time we let Jackie do the ordering for us and what she recommended - we were not disappointed. Jackie made us feel like she had known us and that we were just another happy returning customer. Jackies service alone makes me want to come back. She took time to ask a little bit about ourselves, as well as we returned the favor and found out she is an avid snowboarder. My husband and I both ski so it was great to relate and share stories about that.
She suggested that after our meal we wander over to the hotel and have a look so that if we ever need a place to stay that the Retro Suites would be the best place to stay. The rooms seemed very trendy and themed. This is a place is would look at staying next time.
Overall the experience was above and beyond. Thank you to everyone who made it special and thank you to Jackie, we cant wait to return!!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have had lunch here dozens of times, they have great $5 lunch specials everyday. Today I tried their Kobe beef burger. It was amazing. Highest quality beef I've had. I put some double smoked bacon on there for good measure - definitely worth it. Service from Conor is always A+.

What I like most is the unique decor they have in the restaurant. If you have a chance, take a look around. There are many interesting items within the restaurant. Conor can tell you about every single one, lots of cool conversation pieces.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

After attending Fashion and the City, stopped in to try the featured appetizers. We were seated quickly, however that was the best part of the night. We were only provided with one menu, which didn't even have the featured specials insert. WE had to approach a server to receive water, additional menus and the features insert. This probably took 30 minutes. It then took 1 1/2 hours to receive 2 appetizers and one tilapia dinner. The server never came back to check on us and at least 4 tables who came in AFTER us were served and finished their meal before us.

We ordered:

Mini fish tacos : over cooked fish (edges hard and burnt, dry), no sauce and if it was there it had no flavour.

Lobster summer rolls: bland and unappetizing, the one I did eat didn't even have lobster in it.

Tilapia: the vegetables it came with was a blend of peppers, the person who ordered believed they came with green beans and asked for extra veg, not just a fajita mix of veg.....lots of local seasonal produce available in the area besides peppers!

Eventually a manager did approach us to see if we wanted anything packed up. She was apologetic about our experience and our meal was free. However, she and several waiters passed by our table several times during the 2 hours we were there and no one asked if we were waiting for service or to ask if we needed anything. I expect much more from this restaurant considering the background of their chef. The food we received should not have left the kitchen and the service was unacceptable. The manager expressed the hope we would we return, but really there is no desire to return in the near future.

The restaurant cannot use the excuse that it was unusually busy due to an event, as this event was planned well in advance giving the staff plenty of time to prepare for larger crowds.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We met family members here for a Sunday brunch as some of us were from Windsor and others from London and figured this would be a nice middle point.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful...lots to look at as far as unique decor. The food was just OK...nothing special, especially for the price. Our server seemed to have her thoughts somewhere other than with us. I asked for a cup of tea on at least 3 of her trips to our table. I finally got it as I finished my breakfast.
Maybe it was just an "off" day for them, however, we will not be returning to this restaurant.

Peter T, General Manager at Chilled Cork Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hello Plaitz,

Thank you for you review. I appreciate you taking the time to write this as it is only through guests like yourself that we can truly grow and learn through your experience here. We strive on service industry professionals, I apologize that this was not the service that you received for your Sunday Brunch. If you could please let me know the date you came in I would appreciate it to look into this matter further, and look at areas where we can improve. If there was anything I could do to make amends, or to assist you with in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me directly by email at pete@retrosuites.com or by toll free by phone 866-617-3876.

Thank you for your review, I look forward to your response.

Kindest Regards,