“leakage and not water”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cobourg
the Netherlands
“leakage and not water”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

First, me and my wife to be went to the breakers motel but sadly to know it was fully booked.
Coming from Quebec city we had to stop for the night(final dest.Guelph)About 5:30 am we were were onwillingly suprized by a shower frrom the room above us ,pouring through the seeling right on top of us but i tell ya it was not water! needles to say we claimed out money back! Me a dutch guy and my wife to be from guelph never had an experiance like that!
One positive thing: we got our money back!

• Disliked — very bad plumming
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moby57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ottawa
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I've never been to such a crappy ugly room for so much money. Agreed, it's one of the cheapest of the area, but still, it's way too expensive for that kind of crap. They painted the wall without protecting anything, so there's paint on the ceiling, on the carpet, on the window, on the tiles in the bathroom... The shower curtain and the bath were extremely dirty, gucky and slimy. The sink was cloged with hair. The curtain were riped and we had to keep it shot with a chair. The sheets were see-through and cigarette burned. The carpet was dirty and spotted, we couldn't walk on it bare foot. The furniture didn't match and probably came from the Salvation Army. And for 80$ a night, it's way too much. I hated this place.
They advertise a kitchen suite, I guess it's the microwave we had. Don't want to see the Jaccuzi suite!

• Liked — Exiting it
  • Disliked — Entering it
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Cobourg hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed January 16, 2008

This was a really positive experience from start to finish. When I phoned from out of town ahead of time, the clerk pleasantly answered all my questions, and advised me about the locations of restaurants and stores in the vicinity -- even describing the different types of restaurants within easy walking distance. He even recommended that I take the train into town, as it is the scenic route and reliable. That turned out to be really economical and convenient.

This is a basic establishment, although there is a jacuzzi suite available. However, I stayed in a regular room. It had wonderful "retro" fixtures, which I loved, a separate dressing room, plenty of hot water, good water pressure, clean, comfortable beds, nice and warm room, a small fridge, free coffee and tea, a choice of non-smoking rooms, thick curtains to keep the room dark at night (perfect for jet-laggers!), free local calling, and a big television with lots of channels. All for a great price.

All the staff, including the cleaning person, were very friendly and helpful. I felt totally safe there. Perfect for someone who is not looking for lots of amenities, or who doesn't want to pay a premium price for facilities they don't have time to use. I would strongly recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a good, clean, basic, family-run motel. I hope to stay there next time I'm in Cobourg.

• Liked — the comfortable bed, location to amenities and hospital, all for a very low price
  • Disliked — No internet access, but that was hardly a problem
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
southern ontario
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I booked two single rooms for one night in Cobourg Ontario on business - one for myself and one for my staffmember. I was initially lured by the low rates and pictures on their website -looked like a decent small town motel. My mistake - if it seems too good to be true it probably is. After less than one hour we bailed with no refund, the rooms were so bad I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I paid $150 for two single rooms for one night and then went to the Comfort Inn around the corner for about $280 got two excellent rooms with a great continental breakfast...
Here is what we found in the two rooms we had at the Lotus - dirty, dirty carpet, dirty and broken down washrooms, dirty and broken hvac with little or no heat, too small curtains on windows, burn holes in the blankets, broken light fixtures/missing bulbs, broken beer bottle outside of doors, broken shower, tiles missing on bathroom walls, etc. etc.
I could go on but I think you can get the picture - I have travelled extensively and this is the worst experience I have ever had. After 5 minutes at the place I asked the management for another room as there was no heat, needless to say it didn't happen and the attendant tried to get the dirty broken down heater working!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank darrylv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobourg
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#4 of 6 in Cobourg
The Woodlawn Inn
The Woodlawn Inn
#1 of 7 in Cobourg

Been to Lotus Motel? Share your experiences!